Acadia from Northern VA

badtoytrd

VA...for hopefully a short period of time...with W
One of my bucket list items is to visit all of the National Parks and while we are stuck on the east coast we are doing our best to knock out the ones over here so we don't have to come back. One of the Parks in the east is Acadia and we have been wanting to get up there since arriving in this rat race. So on the 20th, we set out for a 12-day trip up to New England and Acadia.

The literary was as follows:
Night 1: Buck Motorsports Park (owned by a friend of my dad and a free spot) just outside Lancaster, PA
Day 2: Into Philadelphia to see Magic Garden Maze
Night 2: Beaver Pond Campground in Harriman State Park, NY
Day 3: Hartford, CT to see the state capitol
Night 3: Mashamoquet Brook Campground, CT
Day 4: Providence to see state capitol and then on to Cape Cod
Night 4: Nickerson State Park on Cape Cod, MA
Day 5: Plymouth, MA to see Plymouth Rock and laundry day
Night 5: Wompatuck State Park just south of Boston
Day 6: Boston to see capitol and do freedom trail
Night 6: Hanscomb Fam Camp
Day 7: Salem, MA, L.L. Bean Flagship Store in Freeport, ME, and Rockland, ME
Night 7: Camden Hills State Park, ME
Day 8: Acadia National Park (Bass Harbor Light and coastal beach)
Night 8: Seawall Campground in Acadia
Day 9: Acadia National Park (Jordon Pond) and Bar Harbor to do laundry again
Night 9: Blackwoods Campground in Acadia
Day 10: Augusta, ME to see capitol
Night 10: Salisbury Beach State Park, MA (DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!)
Day 11: Mostly a transit day and no sites
Night 11: Spruce Run State Park (one of the nicest campgrounds we have stayed)
Day 12: Transit to Northern VA
Night 12: Our current abode

This was longest but the best trip we have taken yet and it really fuels our desire to be on the road even more but it was not without mishaps. We use a Berkey water filter that I fill when we arrive at our destination the first night I filled it then ended up needing to move the camper because of some ground bees and I forgot I had already set the water filter up. Needless to say, I had water everywhere and fried our heater thermostat that I knew we would be needing in ME. Onto Amazon, I got to have one delivered to a drop box in MA. On day 3 came the next mishap of the forward passenger tie down bolt breaking. We were driving down the Palisades Parkway (felt like a washboard fire road) and I heard one of the turnbuckles fall and hit the bed. We pulled over and sure enough, that's what it was. We made a stop into a Napa Car Care Center to ask about a hardware store and they ended up drilling the bolt out of the eye out for me and giving me a bolt for free. Talk about good samaritan! Even with these issues, it was an amazing trip and the wife and I can't wait to make a trip up there next fall without the little one. Please head over to my wife's blog https://www.theadventuresofrubyd.com/single-post/2017/09/02/Almost-Leaf-Peepers for a more storied report. She will also be posting reviews of the campground we stayed at for your reading pleasure.

597294_ade26ada6a51438090e5612f3181aabb~mv2.jpg
Acadia sign
DSCN1454.jpg
Bass Harbor Light
IMG_3009.JPG
Cape Cod
IMG_3063.JPG
Pizza on Snowpeak Pack and Carry
597294_91bb9e86f06a459cb750bf2fb02dc40e~mv2_d_2448_3264_s_4_2.jpg
Donuts in Providence, RI
597294_240945d2ea0b48d4af25535490a04d03~mv2_d_2448_3264_s_4_2.jpg
Broken tie down bolt that has since been replaced with grade 8

Enjoyed your report- Ruby is quite a photogenic pixie! Great to see photos of little ones out camping and having fun.

Quite the trip and thanks for sharing! Your wife's blog is wonderful and such a joy for her to help parents get their children outside where we all belong. Well done! Where is Ruby off to next? :)

Just read the campground post. What a great idea. I'm not sure there is one on WTW. Wonder if you might be onto something. State by state. Only problem, everyone will have their own opinions and there might be so many list the job of sorting where to stay might be hard. Something to be thought about. Thanks for sharing. jd

Great read!
We just returned from a two week trip up to Nova Scotia (from VA) and stopped in Acadia NP on our way home. A friend of ours is a kayak guide in Bar Harbor and we were hoping to kayak with him but unfortunately the weather wasn't cooperating...

I like the idea of a state by state campground review as well as we found a few interesting ones going up to NS.

Haha on the Salisbury campground. Parking lot is putting it nice. The beach and river might be worth it though. For anyone passing through Harold Parker state park is a nice quiet place to spend the night .

Back
Top Bottom