Accessing a Spare Tire with the Tailgate Down on a Dodge

SWE

Don't Check WTW Often
How do you access the spare with the tailgate down on an 07 dodge?

Take the tailgate off. :p

Seriously though I've only dropped my spare once so I'm working off fuzzy memories but is there anything on the backside of the crank that could be cranked with a wrench in a worst case situation?

Not to sure I want to take off the tailgate with an 8' camper and a 6' bed.

Can I run a grandby on a shortbox without the tail gate? It looks like it is pretty much imperative. I am going to try a rachet modification on the end of the tool to insert back to the tire. Not sure how to make it work, but I need to come up with something...

Some guys leave the gate under the part hanging out and some don't. The camper is mainly held in via the 6.5' in the truck bed that is held down with turn buckles, not the 1.5' hanging out the back whether its on a tailgate or not.

I'm running a 10' Alaskan on a 8 ft bed. Doesn't seem to be any problem. Be careful backing up though :unsure:

Figured it out - just got another extension from the dodge dealer for the crank. It actually fits at an angle, so it isn't a problem hitting the tailgate. I am loving the extra room of the grandby with the family and the tailgate has not been a concern. I am sure that if you are going over Imagine or the Rubicon it would be, but I don't want to take the newer diesel over anything that rough anyway (I would need a kidney belt). I am planning on a ATV for the really rough passes and then use the camper as a base. You can cover about 20 times as much country with an ATV as a 4 wheel drive FJ anyway. I just sold my FJ to buy a truck with a camper and I am much happier. Now the family has room to sit and a camp that the wife enjoys.
Andy

Back
Top Bottom