Accessing the Spare Tire if you Leave your Tailgate on...

GroovyDad

I mentioned in other threads that ATC left my tailgate on when they installed my Bobcat and at first I was bummed that they did, but after using it for 5 minutes, I was so glad they did. I really like having a porch, but someone on WTW advised that you may not be able to access the spare tire release with the gate down AND THEY WERE RIGHT!

The problem is the rod won't line up straight with the tire release when the tailgate's down. I got to monkeying around with it this afternoon and found a solution.

IMG_0415.JPG

I simply removed the license plate and drilled an access hole a little lower than the factory's access hole and voila, the rod lines up and best of all, I can keep my porch!

If you can find the license plate holder from a late 60's to sometime in the 70's GM car it is spring loaded as they all had their fuel fillers behind the plate. Should be able to bolt it to your bumper and then bolt the plate to it. Then no needing to remove the plate to access the new hole.

Hi ntsqd, yeah, I even thought about just drilling through my license plate, but at the end of the day, if I have to change a tire, what's two more little screws. The spring loaded flip down option would be good though, if only to hide my plate when I post photos of my truck (or when I'm running from the law...).

Hinged license plate frames are available, search google. A lot of aftermarket bumpers have the towing receiver behind the license plate for better ground clearance, so there is a market for them.

Although if the bottom of the license plate sits below the bumper step it may not fold. I don't have plates for my tacoma yet so i couldn't say if it would work.

Try RV LIFE Pro Free for 7 Days

• New Ad-Free experience on this RV LIFE Community.
  • Plan the best RV Safe travel with RV LIFE Trip Wizard.
  • Navigate with our RV Safe GPS mobile app.
  • and much more...
Try RV Life Pro Today
Back
Top Bottom