Tricks for attaching gear, etc. to the outside of an ATC?

h2opup

Advanced Member
I see lots of nifty ideas on this site about people strapping shovels, etc., onto the outside walls of their pop-up campers, but I am wondering what is the best way to do this?

When I collected my Ocelot from Marty recently, I asked him about this. He looked a bit horrified and said the framing is "very small", and that adding weight in this way was not a good idea(??). I did have extra support put into the left side back wall during the build to possibly add a Rotopax in the future. Marty pointed that out and said that was the only place in the rig with solid support for added gear.

What is the trick for adding other gear?

Thanks.

This is how I carry my small camp shovel.Just hangs from the door stopper.
It's out of the way and easy to get hold of.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN3745.jpeg
    DSCN3745.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 26
I'm trying to minimize what I put on the roof for weight. I'm not sure I know what you mean about hanging something off of a rear jack mount?

I'm toying with idea to mount shovel and axe underneath the part that overhangs the truck cab. There are a couple inches between roof of a Tacoma and bottom of a Fleet to allow a shovel and axe to fit. There appears to be a sturdy piece of plywood supporting the sleep platform. Idea is to use the wood threaded inserts into the plywood and then use fist clamps to hold the items. Anyone else mount to bottom of the overhang like this?

Also Before I start drilling. does anyone know how thick the plywood is this region?

I'm trying to minimize what I put on the roof for weight. I'm not sure I know what you mean about hanging something off of a rear jack mount?
There are a variety of accessories that can be mounted to the jack brackets. With the jacks removed, you just bolt them to the existing holes. FWC use to offer a shovel/axe combo that mounted there. I don't see it in their current inventory though. May be worth a call to them. I have two mounts on my front brackets for my Rotopax water cans.

Attachments

• IMG_1659 (1).jpg
    IMG_1659 (1).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 11
I'm toying with idea to mount shovel and axe underneath the part that overhangs the truck cab. There are a couple inches between roof of a Tacoma and bottom of a Fleet to allow a shovel and axe to fit. There appears to be a sturdy piece of plywood supporting the sleep platform. Idea is to use the wood threaded inserts into the plywood and then use fist clamps to hold the items. Anyone else mount to bottom of the overhang like this?

Also Before I start drilling. does anyone know how thick the plywood is this region?
I could picture that working for some rigs, but mine doesn't have adequate clearance.

Try RV LIFE Pro Free for 7 Days

• New Ad-Free experience on this RV LIFE Community.
  • Plan the best RV Safe travel with RV LIFE Trip Wizard.
  • Navigate with our RV Safe GPS mobile app.
  • and much more...
Try RV Life Pro Today
Back
Top Bottom