Add cabinets/chuck boxes

97grandby

Well one of the things I've spent the last year of owning my grandby was to organize and maximize my storage. My father and brother have pop up campers that have upper cabinets and I've wanted to find a way to add them. But so far I haven't found anything. So I found this from mycampkithen.com it's a chuck box that has plenty of storage. Adds a paper towel holder, knife block and a place for all other kitchen items. Stores on the couch during transit, then on top of the fridge once camp is set up. Or when cooking outside just grab it and bring it outside and having everything handy. Do you use anything like this for portable storage? ImageUploadedByWander The West1471405786.011825.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1471405822.176616.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1471405838.545220.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1471405848.879901.jpg

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

I have friends that have used a tackle box for their various tools. They keep all their utensils, spices, ketchup, mustard, etc.

The camp kitchens are nice but I would guess there are less expensive alternatives ...like the tackle box idea?

A large tackle box could probably work for somethings, but then you have to open and close it each time you need something, plus, I don't know what size of box would hold all paper plates, bowls, cooking gear and in one. Be nice to find one that did though, as the camp kitchen was 245.00. While a bit expensive, I have been camping ever since i was 3 with my dad and I keep my gear in good condition. I want to buy it right the first time so I don't have to buy it again over later. I expect this box to provide years and years of solid service. Plus when you look at the Camp Champ(http://www.digitaltrends.com/home/camp-champ-kitchen-in-a-box) at 5,000.00 the 245.00 seems down right cheap. Saw them at the overland Expo West this year in flagstaff. No doubt very high end, but at nearly 2 times the amount I paid for my camper I'm not likely his target market.

I like the idea of having everything in once box easy to bring in and out of the camper and set up. I'd love to know what other people use.

Thanks for posting about both these solutions. I'm hopeful of building something inspired by them.

Wife and I had our first truck camper experiences a couple weeks ago; we found that we wanted to continue cooking outside, which meant endless trips back to the camper for one more thing. Spatula. Salt & Pepper. Etc.

I've always liked the idea of Chuck Boxes aka. Scout Boxes for car camping, I think this may be a great solution for my old Eagle, but in a custom size for the available space.

Ideally it would hold:
Nesting pots & fry pan
Griddle?
Paper plates
Flatware (we use SS, not plastic)
Cooking oil
S&P, other spices
Paper towels, kitchen towel
Kitchen utensils
Cutting board
Dish soap & scrubbers

I'm still hunting for something like a 2-pot nesting set of stainless steel. They used to be common... But not any more? Suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Seth said:
Thanks for posting about both these solutions. I'm hopeful of building something inspired by them.

Wife and I had our first truck camper experiences a couple weeks ago; we found that we wanted to continue cooking outside, which meant endless trips back to the camper for one more thing. Spatula. Salt & Pepper. Etc.

I've always liked the idea of Chuck Boxes aka. Scout Boxes for car camping, I think this may be a great solution for my old Eagle, but in a custom size for the available space.

Ideally it would hold:
Nesting pots & fry pan
Griddle?
Paper plates
Flatware (we use SS, not plastic)
Cooking oil
S&P, other spices
Paper towels, kitchen towel
Kitchen utensils
Cutting board
Dish soap & scrubbers

I'm still hunting for something like a 2-pot nesting set of stainless steel. They used to be common... But not any more? Suggestions?

Mine will fit everything you have on your list except a grill and pots and pans. But I agree the more I camp, the more I would rather cook outside. Its nice to be able to bring everything out at once. Well, almost everything. I use this nesting set for camper. A bit overkill with the amount of pots and pans but the quality is first rate. I've had them for 4 years now and they still look like they are new. I found a dutch oven case to keep them in. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TV7QCS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I paid 170.00 when I got the set.

I have a nice set of MSR stainless steel nesting pots that I keep in my Hawk. They also make a three pot version. They are available directly from MSR for $50. You might find the for less on Amazon or EBay.
msr_alp2_set.jpg

Cool gadgets from Cabela's - thanks Scud!

Looking at the smaller of the two (second link), it might allow me to keep my existing in-camper storage as-is, the Cabela cabinet collapsed and stored, then, when settling in at a campsite, load up the cabinet and take it out for action.

Which could be great... A standard chuck box / patrol box takes up substantial space whether you're using it or not, and that's, um, perhaps, sub-optimal in an Eagle? This looks pretty flexible.

I visited the somewhat nearby Cabela's this afternoon, interested in the smaller collapsible kitchen cabinet. It wasn't set up on display, but since they have a one-year-return with receipt I picked one up.

Current instore price was $42. Maybe they're closing them out? Still $60 online.

Wow, it's almost the right thing.

Size is right - which I knew from the online specs - it fits rather nicely in the aisle of an Eagle when set up in it's lower position. And, same setup, great on the countertop.

But... Buyer's remorse quickly set in. There are no convenient handles to use when it's set up, much less loaded up. You need to reach under the clipped-on top to the framework to lift it. Otherwise, you discover that the top comes off real easy.

Though it's the right size for the aisle, it won't make it out the door at floor level. It needs to be lifted above the side couch to make it out the door. Awkward without handles, but if you're handing it out to someone not too hard. One person would be harder.

Next we looked at traveling with it collapsed. It looks pretty good that way, but, that would mean:
Arrive.
Set it up.
Load it up.
Hand it out.
Use it.
Hand it in.
Unload it.
Break it down.
Stow it.

Note that 2 or 3 shelf bottom inserts and the top must be detached and attached on each use.

Flexible - yes. But, that's a lot of monkey motion to replace a cardboard box with food and a dishpan full of kitchen gear.

The real killer is that the heavy packcloth bag has some nice mesh panels at the back to help keep things dry. They might not stop squirrels, for sure raccoons could get in.

Oh well. The concept of a small chuck box in the aisle is still a good one for us, but this ain't it. I think the next try will be a couple of the small 8g Actionpackers. If that doesn't do it, I'll build something of the right size - it will be a small chuck box, perhaps all 1/4" ply, just a wee bit smaller than the small Cabela's kitchen cabinet, but rodent-proof, with handles, etc.

Hi Seth, I have the cabelas deluxe camp kitchen and it's really nice once set up, but kinda heavy and big. So I know what you are talking about. The storage bags have never been used as they just don't fit in the style of camping I do. I just set up the the tables and they work pretty well. I was planning on building my own chuck box but found a ready made one that was very close so I just baught it. Would love to see anyone else's designs or ideas.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

I haven't wanted to speak up because what you were looking for was different than what I do, but since you are struggling, I thought I would share. I have a Bobcat Shell with the couch. Which means no kitchen side at all. I keep all my cooking gear in the couch storage near the back door. That way I can access it all from the ground. I keep the pots and pans on the floor, have three nesting dishpans with assorted tools on top of that. At camp I pull the dishpans out, and grab whatever pans are necessary and I am ready to go. The third dishpan lifts off with its cargo, leaving me 2 to use for dishwashing, soap and rinse. I have also started using a Harbor Freight Rigger bag to contain some of the cooking tools, but not sure if I like that. I tried Action Packers but found they really didn't contain much because of the convoluted sides and they filled up the aisle. I try really hard to keep the aisle clear. Just my two cents, but thought I would share.

I usually link to my website, but realized I haven't documented that aspect yet. Have to remedy that soon.

Thanks Bseek. I guess that's fair to say, we are struggling a little to find kitchen storage solutions that work for us.

Previously we'd owned a medium-sized (10' box) tent trailer. We were sitting in the Eagle last night working with the collapsible kitchen cabinet, and remembering that it wasn't *just* that the trailer had a lot more storage - it was also that the inside stove moved to the outside, hanging off the side of the trailer with an external propane connection. You were never more than two steps away from all that inside storage & fridge when cooking.

Not complaining about the Eagle, far from it. But we did develop an approach with the trailer that doesn't seem adaptable to the truck camper. Unlike many who post here we typically are visiting developed campgrounds, or, attending events where we're not cooking.

Still working on it.

I appreciate your wasted-space and aisle comments about Actionpackers. Somewhere I've got an 8g, will have to find it to try. We do tend to spread out when we hit camp, so maybe they'll be more useful for us. But certainly not as easy to use as a chuck-box style something.

Our storage next to the door has the fridge and furnace stacked on the left, and the battery on the right under the couch. We may eventually change the battery position, which would open up that storage... Thanks for sharing your ideas and experience!

I bought 4 Rubbermaid 8 gallon action packers for my hawk. but looking for similar wood like the fwc have inside. did find a bookshelf for donor wood supply. I will post pics when im done building it.

Speaking of storage, it would help if some of what needs to be stored would just get smaller!

CampMaid has a new folding charcoal chimney coming out - designed to fold up small enough to fit inside a 12" dutch oven.

Maybe with aluminum dutch ovens and this chimney the whole DO setup gets small & light enough to use more often...

OK,I have a full Bobcat camper side dinette.We manage to keep fairly organized. All eating/cooking utensils are in the small slide out drawer.
Under the sink ,our camper has a slider, I keep all the pots,pans coffee pot,espresso maker in a basket that slides out. It's a home kitchen cabinet item from Lowes.
The cookware was from Macy's ,a knockoff that is like the expensive SS type. all of $40 on sale. 3 frying-pans, a pasta pot,large/small
pots,and 1 lid. The other lids fit in a rack along the sink/stove side wall. Also under the sink area I have 2 small 8"x8" plastic "crates"
That have olive oil,vinegar ,dish soap S&P small things.Then there is also 2 ,1/2 gal plastic water bottles and a bottle of wine.
All this is neatly stored easy to get at.

Also carry a Coleman propane stove under our feet,we have a side dinette.
Both storage areas under the seats have items that are lesser used but needed.And the storage in the "turnbuckle" areas for even lesser used items.

We have traveled this way from the first time in the camper and find it works.
I think being organized is very important,plus taking just the minimal. I think"backpacking" mind set works for us. Although don't backpack. The theory is there.

I.ll post some pictures of our "kitchen" layout.
Remember everyone has different needs and all ways don't work for all campers.
This is an interesting thread.I am sure I can learn something new through it.
Frank

This is the chuckkbox I made yrs ago with stuff laying around my garage. It is large ( 27" wide) to accommodate my camp chef stove. The swing out doors holds spices,paper towel roll,and cooking utensils. It fits a frying pan and a 2qt and 3qt sauce pan, plates,cups, pot holders, collapsable dish pan,or whatever. I only use it for car camping - yes, I still like to just load up the back of the pickup for a quick night or two - and I'm sure it a person could use it or a smaller version for their camper. I made smaller lighter version for my niece as wedding present but I was a little leary of making it out of lighter weight materials, but it seems to be holding up ok.

Attachments

• chuckbox - 1.jpg
    chuckbox - 1.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 136
  • chuckbox1 - 1.jpg
    chuckbox1 - 1.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 139
  • chuckbox2 - 1.jpg
    chuckbox2 - 1.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 144
  • chuckbox3 - 1.jpg
    chuckbox3 - 1.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 132
Ronin that is a great design and bet it lasts for years of solid use. I was looking for one that can be used inside the camper and easy to take outside when I could. Love seeing how others handle storage for camping and that can really make a trip a lot less work and less stressful.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

Ronin said:
This is the chuckkbox I made yrs ago with stuff laying around my garage. It is large ( 27" wide) to accommodate my camp chef stove. The swing out doors holds spices,paper towel roll,and cooking utensils. It fits a frying pan and a 2qt and 3qt sauce pan, plates,cups, pot holders, collapsable dish pan,or whatever. I only use it for car camping - yes, I still like to just load up the back of the pickup for a quick night or two - and I'm sure it a person could use it or a smaller version for their camper. I made smaller lighter version for my niece as wedding present but I was a little leary of making it out of lighter weight materials, but it seems to be holding up ok.
Very nice design,and useful. I made a "camp box" when we started tent camping and found it worked great. A bit heavy and awkward
but it all fit into the back area of our Jeep Cherokee.
I used the design for mine from an army field kitchen locker. It just sits in the garage now to large to use with the camper.
Frank

This is what our inside looks like.Even with the "small" size of the Bobcat we still have room for us.

IMG_1576.jpg

This is how we store our cooking equipment.

IMG_1574.jpg

This is the kitchen "basket" pulled out. All the pots/pans nest in the basket.These are a Macy's brand of the Allclad style pots/pans.

IMG_1575.jpg

Frank

Back
Top Bottom