Add Ride Rite bags to helper leafed rear end?

Stromtrooper

Firestone Ride Rite bags are arriving today: Do people add Ride Rite airbags to atop the helper leaf spring or use only one or the other (in my case, remove helper spring, then install bags)?

Reason for asking: 2007 Tacoma TRD with existing helper springs is bucking too much on I-5 where the concrete segments are bumpy with 4 Wheel Eagle camper in-bed.

I am new to the forum, so please pardon me if there is a better place to ask this question, or an obvious existing answer that I am missing. Happy wheeling & thanks for your input!

I have air bags as well as added a 4th leaf. Though the ride is much improved I don't think it will eliminate the bucking caused by cemented segment roads... The only way to deal with that I have found is by slightly changing the speed constantly so that a rhythm does not build. This is a problem they used to have on suspension bridges that similar to 'wave patterns' caused some bridges in Tennessee to oscillate and collapse. If you ever have walked across a rope bridge with a group you know what I mean... one must not allow a pattern to develop in the sway action ... gotta walk 'out of step'. I hate the cement roads and I have to say the worst in the country are in Pennsylvania (they are tearing them all up).

+1 on changing the speed to stop the bucking. On our last across the country trip hit a section of road that I had to be above 70 or below 55. Glad I do not live around any roads like that.

I am from old Pennsyltucky, now in Washington- where I bet are roads are a close second to last. Thanks for the tips on the bronco bouncing!!

We did new Bilstein 5100 shocks on all 4, plus Firestone Ride Rite HD airbag helper springs over the bolt on helper spring kit, and the bucking is 90% gone and truck is level and handles way better.

Attachments

• IMG_8222.JPG
    IMG_8222.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 98
Back
Top Bottom