Added a solar panel now need 40lb gas struts

KLillie

Advanced Member
Hello. I just added a 210w solar panel on the roof of the camper and now the front is really hard to pop up. The camper came with 30lb struts but i called Marty and he said use 40lb max on the struts. He also said just get some on Amazon. My question is does anyone have a link to some struts they have used when they have added solar?

Can you read/see the ID sticker on the current struts and use that information to chose the corresponding 40 lb. version?

ski3pin said:
Can you read/see the ID sticker on the current struts and use that information to chose the corresponding 40 lb. version?
I cant decipher its meaning but they are: IGS (industrial Gas Spring) GS: 1CU416885BB0134 44/21 30lb

KLillie said:
I cant decipher its meaning but they are: IGS (industrial Gas Spring) GS: 1CU416885BB0134 44/21 30lb
I did not find an answer looking online. I would give IGS a call - 1-800-214-7034 with that GS number and ask what is the corresponding 40 lb. version and where to buy.

IGS Website

<p>You could also try Suspa their 40# $35 . Bracket #P67-00203 about $3 you need 8</p>
<p>Search SUSPA then click on SUSPA parts.</p>
<p>This will let you search by part #</p>

This was the company over the years that ATC/FWC used for the lifters.
Mine are #40 on a ATC Bobcat I installed them about 12 years ago,no problems.
They have a 5 year guarantee when purchased from them.
Not sure if other outlets have a guarantee.
Frank

I and several others have used Gemini Gas Springs out of BC, Canada. Much less expensive than SUSPA, which is the usual FWC struts. FYI, I have a 330W up front on the driver's side, and often carry a 39# canoe on the passenger side. Driver's rear side has 2 traction mats on the roof as well as a 10# cell/wifi antenna.

I have 80# lifters on the front, and 60# on the back. The 60# are strong enough to require pulling down the rear when the canoe is not up there. When it is, the balance is perfect. 80# is not enough with the canoe in the front. Have to work pretty hard to lift that.

Gemini is at 1-778-475-5611 or info@GeminiGasSprings.com I paid $28.07 Canadian each for mine.

Vic

The ones from Amazon look like they will do the job for you.
They are made in China not USA like the SUSPA and only have
a year guarantee,not a 5 year one. Price is about $12 cheaper per strut.

I see they also offer the brackets. Don't see any with the offset which I think you'll need.

Good luck with your searching.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:

I see they also offer the brackets. Don't see any with the offset which I think you'll need.

Frank
Do you happen to have a link to the SUSPA ones? Id definitely like to use US made products.

Frank
Ah I think I found them but Im not sure if they are long enough.
https://www.amazon.com/Suspa-C16-15952-35-43-Prop-Strut/dp/B012HGQM7O/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3POPPI1NJE6SP&keywords=Suspa+gas+struts&qid=1659739582&s=industrial&sprefix=suspa+gas+struts%2Cindustrial%2C131&sr=1-4

<p>You could also try Suspa their 40# $35 . Bracket #P67-00203 about $3 you need 8</p>
<p>Search SUSPA then click on SUSPA parts.</p>
<p>This will let you search by part #</p>
Can you explain why I would need new brackets? Can't I just use the ones already on the camper?

Back
Top Bottom