Adding a 12v Power Socket behind the Dashboard

Bosque Bill

My truck didn't come with an XM Radio option and thought it would be entertaining to listen while driving the empty highways out west and while camping far away from terrestrial stations with music I'd like to hear or even baseball games!

I wanted a cleaner installation than simply plugging the radio's power adapter into the dash mounted 12v power socket.

My idea was to install a power socket behind the dashboard and out of sight. I was afraid it was going to be a major job to tap into a power circuit until I found a youTube video showing an installation using an Add-A-Circuit™ fuse tap.

This method will work on any vehicle.

It would be easy to get to the fuse box behind the dash and I wouldn't have to worry about drilling holes or going through the firewall or any of that scary stuff. The late model Tacoma's use a low-profie, mini-blade fuse. Auto parts stores and Amazon only carry the Add-A-Circuit taps for standard mini fuses (ATM) and full size ATO bladed fuses. I was able to find the low-profile equivalent on eBay.

To use the fuse tap, you remove a fuse from the fuse box and snap it into the bottom position in the tap; you add a new fuse in the upper position to protect the circuit you are adding. It was a little difficult installing the fuses in this cheap Chinese fuse tap.

I installed the tap in the fuse position listed as ACC which has 12 volts once you turn the key. Many of the other fuses are only energized when the circuit is energized, so for example the rear power window fuse is not live unless you are raising or lowering the rear window (not very useful in an Access cab, but it has a fuse nonetheless - I think this can be treated as a spare fuse for emergency use down the road.)

The pig-tail on the fuse tap has a wire crimp installed; I had to cut off the spade lug on the red wire from the power sockets, strip the end, insert it and crimp.

You need to find a place to terminate the black ground wire from the power socket. There was a mounting bracket just below the fuse box. I loosened the mounting bolt, slid a forked lug with about 6" of wire soldered on to it and tightened it down. I was able to match wire lugs, but you may splice the wire how ever works for you.

There was a convenient hole in a bracket just behind the hood release lever. I mounted the dual power socket by one of its mounting holes using a small bolt, nut and split washer. It's very light so I'm sure one small bolt will be enough.

Be very careful where you route the wires. By mounting the socket near the fuse box, there was no difficulty with those wires. Since the power wires from the radio plug/adapter need to run across to the radio, be very careful not to allow them to tangle with or get pinched by brake or gas pedals. I routed the wire next to the steering column, attaching it to the plastic with gaffer's tape; I then routed it behind the fiber mat keeping it below the velcro that attaches the mat to the flooring. Extra wire was tied together and left behind the mat. When I came up from behind the mat I routed it toward the center console and held it down with gaffer's tape to keep it away from any possibility of tangling with feet or pedals.

Parts List
Low-profile, mini fuse tap from modprosales store on eBay $10 with shipping

Custom Accessories 10242 Auxiliary Twin Power Outlet from Amazon $6.50 - I chose a dual socket in case I want to plug a GPS Nav or other accessory in without using the dash sockets.

misc hardware and wire
Fuse Tap without fuses installed:
FuseTap_800w-IMG_4148.jpg

Fuse Box behind dash with access drawer removed:
FuseBox_800w-IMG_4151.jpg

Fuse Box with tap installed (Note: this wasn't the final position of the tap.)
FuseBoxTap_800w-IMG_4152.jpg

Power Sockets:
PowerSockets_800w-IMG_4150.jpg

XM Radio - you can see the power wire and antenna wire running off to the left and diving behind the dash. If I decide to keep the radio in this location, I may remove the center console, drill a hole in the little well behind the radio and route the wires though the drilled hole. The radio audio plugs into the Aux socket, so no FM transducer is needed:
XMRadio_1000w-IMG_4158.jpg

Today I returned to the project to move the power and antenna wires to behind the console and dashboard.

I removed the center console by following the steps in this post on Tacoma World. The poster, "Taco's for All", did an excellent job describing the procedure and with plenty of photos. His 2009 Access Cab Automatic Tacoma seemed to match my 2013 just fine.

I took it one step at a time with the post open on my computer. I would do one step, return to the computer to read the next step and look at his photos, then go back outside to do that step on my truck. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Really the only tricky part was removing the front cup-holder assembly. The poster said his popped out easily. I had to get a thin bladed knife and carefully insert it into the seam at the forward edge to begin to break it loose. Once it started, it came out easily.

The other point to clarify: once you pop up the plastic trim around the shifter, the two screws to remove are those close to the shifter, not the two on the sides of the console.

I was a little apprehensive when I begin pulling the console back, but it came loose fine (though it does have to displace the front of the little "storage area" near the ignition switch). I removed it from the truck and carved a notch in the forward left lip for the wires. I routed the power wire behind the heater duct; I routed the antenna wire up into the console area and forward to meet the power wire. I probably should have taken a photo of that step, but didn't think of it at the time.

I did take a photo of the radio once I reinstalled the console. You can see that it is much neater than in the photo above:
XMRadio-nowires_1000w-IMG_4182.jpg

It now looks like a fully professional installation with no wires showing. :D

If you have any questions about adding the socket or installing the satellite radio, reply here or send me a message.

Bill

+3 on the add-a-circuit. That could be a useful bit of knowledge in the future. Thanks for posting it.

Back
Top Bottom