Adding a Microwave

K6ON

Old & Soft
After using the Grandby a couple times last summer I came to the conclusion the “hanging closet” was all but useless in it’s present configuration. I’m a single guy so rely heavily on a microwave to keep from starving. I utilized the top portion of the closet for mounting a small microwave ($49.00 from K-mart). I added a couple shelves below, and the closet, in my humble opinion actually became useful. Power for the microwave is supplied by 2 group 31 deep cycle batteries in parallel feeding a 1.5KW inverter. I also have a small Yamaha 1 KW generator that will just barley run the microwave if I'm out in the boonies and generator noise isn't an issue. I added a transfer relay so the camper (except the battery charger and the Engel 45) switch to the inverter on AC power loss. I also added another outlet below the microwave so there is now one on that side of the camper. After using the microwave several times I couldn’t imagine being without it. Oh yeah, most important, it will make popcorn :thumb:

Attachments

• microwave-1.jpg
    microwave-1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 722
  • microwave-2.jpg
    microwave-2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 711
Been There, Done That

I've been using mine for about 2 years, one of the many of the TOW MISSLE mods. Nice job.

Attachments

• IMG_0141.JPG
    IMG_0141.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 699
Deltarat, great job, thanks for all the info on the power sources. I learn so much from you guys. Happy New Year! Terri

I've been using mine for about 2 years, one of the many of the TOW MISSLE mods. Nice job.

Nice job Fisherman...I thought surely I couldn't have been the first person to do that but didn't see any threads on the mod. What I hadn't thought about is a stereo..Now I've seen yours...another project. Happy New Year..and great looking new Toyota.

Terry, thank you and Happy New Year.

That's Whats In My Closet

You can check the "What's in your closet" thread, I crammed my closet pretty full, you have room for more.

You can check the "What's in your closet" thread, I crammed my closet pretty full, you have room for more.

Found the post, neat job with the batteries, etc. I have a short bed truck with a Grandby on it, so the camper CG is behind the rear wheels. Need to keep the weight forward, so replaced the group 24 camper batt with a 31 and added another up front. Mounted the inverter and a 3 stage marine battery charger there also. Ran 110VAC back to the microwave so closet is still usable for other "stuff".

That is an awesome mod. Microwaves are really nice to have camping. :thumb:

That looks like it may be a good option, althouigh it appears that they are out of stock (of any color) right now.

Anybody seen one of these units in use?

Sorry I haven't used the microwave, but I did notice you snuck in for your first post without posting a pic of your rig :D

Sorry I haven't used the microwave, but I did notice you snuck in for your first post without posting a pic of your rig :D
I thought I had posted here before but I guess I was getting my forums mixed up. I must have only been a lurker so far!

A pic of my rig is on the 4 wheel camper site.

Here's one:
IMG_4358c.jpg

lurk no more

Welcome Rocky,

Nice photo ,your rig is hiding over there .what kind of set up you rolling with.
truck?camper?dog? place? we here at wander the west our a small family that all get along and share info and wisdom.ok thats pushing it.

Welcome Rocky,

Nice photo ,your rig is hiding over there .what kind of set up you rolling with.
truck?camper?dog? place? we here at wander the west our a small family that all get along and share info and wisdom.ok thats pushing it.

I have a 2005 Hawk camper on a Toyota Tundra (1st Gen).
That shot is in a little "free camp" spot above Caples Lake (Hwy 88 California).

Back
Top Bottom