Adding fourth tiedown passthrough

Living The Dream

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with adding the final tiedown pass through on an older FWC mode? I have a mid-80s Fleet and it seems there only have the 3 pass throughs. Under the stove/water tank there isn't one. It seems to me they use to just use three tiedowns but 4 is the new norm.

gallery_6274_1000_276998.jpg

I have already put in the fourth bolt but need to make the door to access it. Trying to figure out if I should go in from the side of the floor pack (like the new models), or add the top down access like the rest of my three.

gallery_6274_1000_3073127.jpg

My only concern is a 13X4in rectangle making floorpack less structurally sound... I would think going in from the side would weaken it more, but going in from the top can be a real hassle to weave my arm in through.

Also, spoiler alert, I gutted my fleet :). I need to update my build page. Ill do that soon!

My 88' grandby didn't have rear internal tie down points on either side. I added an anchor point on the vertical section of wood before the back of the camper flares out, about 6" off the floor( in the middle of your first picture more or less). I made a simple access door in the flared out rear portion of the camper(immediately right of the broom in your picture). My camper is in storage at the moment so i can't take a picture sorry. But these anchors have been plenty strong and effective the last 5 years. I used a 4"x4" aluminum plate to back them up and added L brackets where I could to beef up the wood around the anchor as well. I'm not sure where you put your anchor but that's what worked for my "classic" camper.

Thanks for the feedback. I finally got around to slicing into the floorpack with a dremel, hacksaw, and drill. It worked out pretty well. I still need to make some sort of door which I will sort out later. The bolt eye-hook is through the horizontal region of the floorpack.
gallery_6274_1000_1009920.jpg

My 87 grandby had 4 bolts though the bed directly though the camper. Worked great for 20 years of the campers life. Just a large 3/4 inch bolt (approx.) and a large washer held it great.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom