Adding motion sensing porch light

badtoytrd

VA...for hopefully a short period of time...with W
I am thinking of converting my porch light to something like this http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/starlights-smart-light-1000/65149 with an interior switch so I can disable it using these switches http://www.americanrvcompany.com/JR-Products-12245-Black-Triple-On-or-Off-Switch-Assembly-with-Bezel-Camper-Trailer-RV. Does anyone know how the wiring runs or if the wiring runs by the existing flood light switch? Maybe Stan can weigh in? I have a 2011 Fleet that has 2 switches already installed underneath the fridge (1 for floods, 1 for under cabinet lights). Thanks in advance for the help.

I briefly considered putting in a motion sensor, but then decided it'd make me more paranoid because it'd be switching on every ten minutes cuz of rodents and other night critters and I'd constantly be getting up to see what dangerous creature was outside. Nope.

You can opt for one of these. with 3M double sided tape on the base .... would allow for light removal when not needed or in transit.

Amazon

Attachments

• LED MS.jpg
    LED MS.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 61
Thanks for all of the input. I have thought of a stick on. IKEA actually has a pretty nice one that I use in a stairwell but I would love to have it look factory. I'm weird like that. From what I have read and watched about the one I posted it seems to be infrared like an house alarm system and should not be tripped by small animals. Having inside switch for porch light would be very convenient in my mind.

More info for anyone interested in the idea.... (this one from etrailers rather than Camping World)

Manual

Thoughts....

- it's larger than the original porch light. Too big for a truck camper or just a different look?
- no switch on the outside like the old one. Operational problem or improvement to the design?
- I don't think I'd like the blinking LED at night calling attention to the rig (but maybe just needs to be reduced in intensity with a dot of paint or something.)
- bulb should be LED (and an LED option is available .... one of them with a rotating bulb to direct the light)
- I'd like to know how dependable it is long term. I've not had very good luck with motion lights at home
- interesting option according to manual-- there's a yellow lead that can be used to trigger a relay supporting up to 4 amps of draw via an optional relay (see step 3 of installation instructions)

Old crow - Thanks for the post. A lot more info than I had already found.

-From what I see or have read is that it should be a direct replacement. Same screw holes just a tad winder to accommodate the montuno sensors.
-I believe there is no outside switch because they expect you to use inside switch. From what I have seen this seems to be a better option base on porch light switch failure.
-I don't really like blinking light either but I would add an amber lense which may make the blinking unnoticed or to black out the little LED window.

I imagine I am going to have to be the guinea pig on this. No problem with that but I was just hoping to have some insight on how porch light wiring is run.

badtoytrd said:
Old crow - Thanks for the post. A lot more info than I had already found.

-From what I see or have read is that it should be a direct replacement. Same screw holes just a tad winder to accommodate the montuno sensors.
-I believe there is no outside switch because they expect you to use inside switch. From what I have seen this seems to be a better option base on porch light switch failure.
-I don't really like blinking light either but I would add an amber lense which may make the blinking unnoticed or to black out the little LED window.

I imagine I am going to have to be the guinea pig on this. No problem with that but I was just hoping to have some insight on how porch light wiring is run.
I did the install a few weeks ago on this. I put the switch directly behind the light itself inside (above the toilet). I have the LED version and have camped with it twice. Have not used the motion sensing - but probably would if at a public campground.

I have actually done this exact mod on my last camper.

It is a pretty neat feature but does have some drawbacks.

Positives:
Motion sensor lets you know when something is around the camper at night
It's a brighter, nicer light than our current one
If it's super dark it is nice to have the steps lite up when you are trying to get into the camper
The flashing light can tell you if the camper batteries are low.

Negatives:
The light doesn't flush fit on the aluminum siding - your will need to caulk it
There has to be a switch installed (I did mine on the unit itself) otherwise you can't turn it off - and you blind everyone driving down the interstate who then yell and honk at you (I'm sure you can guess how I know that)
The motion light goes off a lot - for trees, leaves, rats, wind, etc...
I found myself turning it off some nights because of that.
It takes a constant battery draw that can drain your battery if left on for a long time.

I actually bought another one for my new fiberglass grandby. But I have not installed it yet.
Not sure that I will to be honest.

I had one of these on my camper and took it off. Never could get the motion sensing feature to work- either it was turning on all the time or not at all. Also didn't like the parasitic current draw. I put the usual porch light back on switched inside and we like it.

Remind me not to go camping or backpacking with any of you... :D Seriously, at night I relish the dark or the full moon...light pollution can be very obtrusive...if not for you then for others. Put that right up there with generators.... :mad: Gawd I hate them!

In a high risk environment, urban warfare zones, it may have a value...but out in the boondocks the four legged critters are no bother and belong there; they are a great part of the outdoor experience...now for the prowling two legged critters...you use a Surefire weapon light..

Having said all this we still have LED outside lights on the Hawk, the rear porch light and side awning light...all of these are for setting up after dark...could have just as easily used our headlamps...

Just my tastes folks and not trying to dissuade anyone from rigging their camper anyway that makes them happy!

Phil

I added one to my toy hauler but sold it, I didn't like it for most of the reasons drJ's said. I won't be adding them to my new camper any time soon. I did add a nice LED bulb swap out to the factory porch light and made a big difference.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Wallowa said:
Remind me not to go camping or backpacking with any of you... :D Seriously, at night I relish the dark or the full moon...light pollution can be very obtrusive...if not for you then for others. Put that right up there with generators.... :mad: Gawd I hate them!

In a high risk environment, urban warfare zones, it may have a value...but out in the boondocks the four legged critters are no bother and belong there; they are a great part of the outdoor experience...now for the prowling two legged critters...you use a Surefire weapon light..

Having said all this we still have LED outside lights on the Hawk, the rear porch light and side awning light...all of these are for setting up after dark...could have just as easily used our headlamps...

Just my tastes folks and not trying to dissuade anyone from rigging their camper anyway that makes them happy!

Phil
You can always turn it off. I mainly am worried about 2 legged dirtbags. 4 leggers are mostly fine (not so keen on Bears).

Back
Top Bottom