Advice for buying used

Nootz

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been stalking the for sale forum, searchcraigslist and search tempest for the past few months for a used Hawk, but it seems like I'm always a day late or there's not a whole lot of pre-owned availabile in the San Diego area. For those of you on the site often, are there certain times of year when people tend to sell their campers? End of summer maybe? I've been looking for a mid 2000 hawk as those seem to be within my price range. Realistically, I'm just looking for something a little newer with an outdoor shower for the kids at the beach and a fold down couch for their sleeping. The something newer, well...that's for the wife. I considered a Grandby, but I would rather go with the Hawk on a Chevy Silverado 2500 6.5 ft bed. Any I put would be appreciated.

Hi Nootz,
Historically best time to sell a camper, boat, RV , etc is spring when everyone has gotten their tax refund, and is itching to get out there. Best time to buy is the fall when the season is done and you get lower prices.

Unfortunately that technique does not work with FWC.

Before we gave up trying to find a used Eagle shell and bought a new one, We were searching all over California, Oregon, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada - Craig's list. There will be more Hawks available because most of the trucks sold in last 10-15 years have 6.5 foot bed.

Have the cash in hand ...when you find what you want don't wait buy it. Figure how your going to get it home after.

Good Luck with the search.

I have a Grandy in a Chevy 3500 with a 6.5' bed mainly because we have a soon to be 7 year old. You'll appreciate the extra 18" of floor length if there's more than just you and the wife.

Place a wanted ad. You've done enough research to know what you want and what you are willing to pay.

In the meantime keep a close ad on the classified ads.

BTW, You can set Craigsilist to notify you each day on any given search criteria.
Also learn how to use Google or your search engine of choice.

ie.
FWC
Hawk
USA
within past 24 hours

After watching craigslist ads and ebay for years, ads for pop up truck campers peak in spring and early summer. Good ones are posted all year round and always go quick. You may not have much choice as to options when you buy used and waiting "for just the right one" may cost you lots of camping trips.

ski3pin said:
After watching craigslist ads and ebay for years, ads for pop up truck campers peak in spring and early summer. Good ones are posted all year round and always go quick. You may not have much choice as to options when you buy used and waiting "for just the right one" may cost you lots of camping trips.
Ski is right the big cost may be lost camping. I have bought two used Hawks. First one I fell into and got way cheap, used 5 years and sold for over twice what I paid, don't expect this to happen. The second one was a shell, I paid a fair price and was ready to buy. Added the items I wanted and could not be happier.

Good luck with your search.

I completely understand you frustration with trying to get a value on used FWC.

First FWC I went to see was a Hawk model that I drove 4 hours one way to look at.
The seller took great care of it, but it was 10 years old and did not have many of the newer options I wanted.
I also noticed he had the original order sheet and was selling it for the same price he bought it for 10 years ago!!!
Camping for 10 years for free seemed crazy to me, but he had no desire to negotiate the price. He sold it 1 hr after I decided not to buy it - for his asking price.

That's when I considered just buying one directly from FWC. It was more money, but I got most of what I wanted and
have never regretted it.

FWC/ATC hold their values extremely well. They sell fast and very popular.

You can buy a floor model camper and save some money. I'd call Stan if you are interested.

Thanks for all the tips. Unfortunately buying new is not an option right now, maybe in the future. For now I'll just keep searching and hopefully something lines up soon. Thanks for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom