Advice on how to winterize my Hawk

Ronanmd1

Hey guys - I have read the posts online, but still feel a bit confused about this issue. Since my garage is heated, I tend to pull the camper off the truck before the temps drop down below freezing overnight and then wait for the weather to warm in the spring before loading it back up. Because of this, I have never needed to antifreeze the lines.
However, the cold weather tends to stick around up here in Canada and I would like to be able to keep the camper on the truck for a few more weeks during the fall and spring without worrying that a couple nights with a drop in temperature will damage anything. Happy to just use my portable water tanks during these weeks and not run water through the system.

So, with that in mind, can someone provide me with some step-by-step instructions as to exactly how to antifreeze my 2013 Hawk. Even though I have tried to research this online and read the manual included with my camper, I still am not confident that I properly understand how to do this correctly - e.g. How much antifreeze do I pour in, how do i ensure that all the lines are properly treated and how do I avoid treating stuff that I shouldn't.

Thanks for any advice. Not sure why I get so confused about this stuff!
Jason

we just blow it out with an air compressor. i feel like the antifreeze taste always lingers a little. just get something like this, hook it up to your city water open one faucet at a time and blow it out, then open the water heater and blow it out. i just put antifreeze in the p-traps.

After you blow out your water lines, it's a good idea to disconnect the pressure (output) side of your water pump and run it for a short time to make sure you get the water out of the pump. Make a short piece of hose and connect it the pump to direct the small amount of water into a bucket. The fittings and hose can be found at a good RV shop or hardware store.

Don't run the pump for very long, just until you don't get any more water.

Thanks guys - is there any thing I need to do with the valve inside the cabinet to get the compressed air to the right spots? Is the trap just the drain in the sink? To blow out the heater, I just have to undo the large plastic plug in the bottom? That will empty the heater completely with air blown through it?

Cheers,
Jason

Jason, by draining the WH, there will only be a small amount left in there. I don't think you need to worry about the remainder. Check with a local RV place to be sure. My FWC doesn't have a WH (our travel trailer does), so I'm not sure how yours is configured, but after draining, do put it to bypass before blowing out the lines.

If you have a shower, be sure that you get those lines blown out as well. We disconnect the hose to the shower head when we winterize.

Yes, the trap is the sink drain. Make sure it's dry.

Ronanmd1 said:
To blow out the heater, I just have to undo the large plastic plug in the bottom? That will empty the heater completely with air blown through it?

Cheers,
Jason
I believe FWC says not to remove the large drain plug on the WH now.

Our 2016 Hawk Atwood 6 gal water heater retains 2 qts of water after draining [per the manufacturer] ...and yes, Atwood specifies to remove the white Teflon hex drain plug on the outside of the water heater which is inside the outside door on the driver's side. Not the plug under the water tank inside the camper. The FWC by-pass valve inside the camper cabinet I believe is for draining water lines into the main storage tank after you drain the water out the system drain [at the bottom outside of the rear of the camper] and drain the hot water heater. The assumption is that any slight amount of water drained into the 20 gal tank can freeze and not do any damage.

Look this is a product specific question and depends on what size and brand of hot water heater is installed. Simply go on-line at the manufacturers website and read the instructions for your particular heater. What FWC does to modify or install the systems then becomes the issue.

Truly wish FWC would publish a plumbing and wiring diagram for each camper model. And for giggles also include a diagram of the frame members to help locate them for mounting points.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom