After action report Nevada Winter Camp and Trek

RKBA

A few weeks ago I posted an invite for an outing in Trip Planning. Here is a report and some pics......

I got back to Vegas just after midnight New Year’s Day. What a fantastic trip! 3 days and 2 nights on the trail. GPS odometer read 219 miles once we pulled back into the RV Park in Dyer around 5 pm yesterday.
2 days before I was planning on leaving, I finally got an email from someone on one of the boards I posted the invitation on. He was a hard core wheeler from California who wanted to come with a close bud of his. Both would be running their well equipped Jeeps. I lucked out. These guys were great! We are already talking about our next trip. Both guys are experienced campers who, like me, constantly wanted to see what was on the “Other Side” of that hill.
We met up Wednesday night in Dyer at the RV Park where I was going to leave my trailer. We camped there and headed out early Thursday morning. We camped at the Moho mine that night in Mineral County after a full day of riding. The next day, we headed out toward Marietta and explored several mines and ghost towns in the area before heading south. We made camp the second night after dark near the BB Mine at the base of Boundary Peak (Highest Peak in Nevada). On Saturday, we headed out and explored a few more mines as well as running a couple of VERY cool canyons while heading back to Dyer.
Between the 3 of us, we took 100’s of pictures. Here are a few of the ones I took. Hope you enjoy them. Thanks for looking………………

Getting ready to head out from Dyer
PC290012.jpg

Heading North
PC290016.jpg

PC290018.jpg

Look closely at the nearest ridgeline. A small heard of Big Horn almost ran me over crossing the trail. What a sight!! They were this far away before I got my camera out.
PC290022.jpg

Some friends keeping an eye on us 
PC300098.jpg

We thought we would take a short cut across an Alkaline dry lake………… We were lucky to get off this thing! I was fine on the quad but once we got going, the Jeeps had to stay into it HARD to keep from getting bogged down during the 6 mile run!
PC290025.jpg

First nights camp
PC300074.jpg

PC300076.jpg

Second nights camp near Boundary Peak.
PC310134.jpg

Some pics of the towns and mine sites we saw………
PC290036.jpg

PC290038.jpg

PC290045.jpg

PC290050.jpg

PC290055.jpg

PC290060.jpg

PC300080.jpg

PC300082.jpg

PC300086.jpg

Looks like a great trip. A lot of it looked very familiar from trips in the past. We ended up in the same area, but we didn't get down there till Saturday, so we missed you.

Still plenty to see down there.

Jack

I like the look of that off-the-ground tent cot. Would have been nicer than the ground when I ran the Rubicon.

Back
Top Bottom