AGM Battery Recommendation

I've had poor luck using optima's as deep cycle batteries. I won't use them again in the camper but as starting batteries they work just fine in the Jeep. I go with agm in the camper because they're difficult to access for maintenance and are in too close proximity to delicate electronics. I may go back to flooded in the truck when those die but then again I'm pretty lazy and hate the annual cleaning ritual.

You're not arguing shore power over solar are you? Just shore power over the alternator?

This is a real interesting discussion. So many products that are good today go downhill once they're manufactured out of the country. The big problem is we consumers end up with less than what we thought we were getting because the companies don't tell us about production changes that may compromise the quality of their product. A person could have a great experience with batteries they bought 5-6 years ago and replace them only to find out the new stuff is junk - generally past the warrantee period. That said I'm leaning toward VMAX Tanks 100ah. Seem like it's made to be drained over and over again powering a trolling motor or golf cart type of vehicle.

Ronin said:
This is a real interesting discussion. So many products that are good today go downhill once they're manufactured out of the country. The big problem is we consumers end up with less than what we thought we were getting because the companies don't tell us about production changes that may compromise the quality of their product. A person could have a great experience with batteries they bought 5-6 years ago and replace them only to find out the new stuff is junk - generally past the warrantee period. That said I'm leaning toward VMAX Tanks 100ah. Seem like it's made to be drained over and over again powering a trolling motor or golf cart type of vehicle.
There are several choices depending on the usage. Mine is a RV solar type,don't know what difference there is between their batteries.
One thing I did learn from them was not to over size the Ahs. I was going to get at least a 125 ah or bigger same unit size so no problems to install,but I only have a 105w solar system so a larger than 100ah wouldn't be to any advantage.

My 100ah will work with my system larger ah battery needs larger solar.
If you have questions give them a call. They answered what I needed to know.
Frank

Ronin said:
One of the main reasons I chose Trojan is that they are made in the USA. They specialize in deep cycle batteries (designed to be deeply discharged and recharged over and over). I chose a sealed AGM battery to be located inside the camper to minimize maintenance and the risk of hydrogen gas discharge.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
One thing I did learn from them was not to over size the Ahs. I was going to get at least a 125 ah or bigger same unit size so no problems to install,but I only have a 105w solar system so a larger than 100ah wouldn't be to any advantage.

Frank
Frank,

I'm not sure that there is no advantage to bigger batteries with more AH. You can go more days between charges, and if you have other means of charging than solar, you can still top them up daily.

I got 15 years out of my original Optima red top in my Jeep with zero maintenance. It even sat on the garage floor for 2 years while I was rebuilding the Jeep. The second red top (made in Mexico) lasted 4 years.

Without deviating too far from the thread topic...

I think what we're seeing in not only Optima batteries, but a whole range of consumer products, if not the entire consumer spectrum, are companies embracing, planning and engineering the concept of "planned obsolescence" in order to enhance the bottom line.

I don't necessarily subscribe to the theory that simply because a product is made outside the US borders somehow makes it inferior. No doubt such is the case in some areas of the world. Perhaps when Johnson acquired Optima in 2000, Johnson's bean counters went to the engineers and said Optima batteries life span is too long. We want them to fail around the 5 year mark. Does that make the Optima battery a bad product today? I don't think so. Simply one can't expect it to last as long as the old MADE IN THE USA batteries.

I have a Patagonia Storm Jacket purchased nearly 20 years ago...still going strong, albeit it does exhibit wear. Good luck getting 3 years of hard core use out of a Patagonia technical wear these days. Fortunately, my technical apparel does not require batteries!

Advmoto18 said:
Without deviating too far from the thread topic...

I think what we're seeing in not only Optima batteries, but a whole range of consumer products, if not the entire consumer spectrum, are companies embracing, planning and engineering the concept of "planned obsolescence" in order to enhance the bottom line.

I don't necessarily subscribe to the theory that simply because a product is made outside the US borders somehow makes it inferior. No doubt such is the case in some areas of the world. Perhaps when Johnson acquired Optima in 2000, Johnson's bean counters went to the engineers and said Optima batteries life span is too long. We want them to fail around the 5 year mark. Does that make the Optima battery a bad product today? I don't think so. Simply one can't expect it to last as long as the old MADE IN THE USA batteries.

I have a Patagonia Storm Jacket purchased nearly 20 years ago...still going strong, albeit it does exhibit wear. Good luck getting 3 years of hard core use out of a Patagonia technical wear these days. Fortunately, my technical apparel does not require batteries!
OK, we're really deviating from the subject now. Patagonia's stated mission is to make products that will last hopefully a lifetime so that we're not constantly replacing stuff that adds to the carbon footprint,landfills,etc. They also encourage repairing clothes and gear rather than just tossing it. We like to think by reading reviews,blogs,tests,surveys etc. we can find the best products for our pocketbooks and whatever moral sensibilities we hold. On the subject of batteries, lead is one of the most toxic substances to people and the environment. My preference is to find a battery that will last twice as long than most at a reasonable cost. Hopefully, there's a battery manufacturer out there that wants to make a truly better product for it's consumers with the additional benefit of lessening the environmental impacts. My mission, is to seek out the Patagonia's of the world! (My Patagonia wind shirt was purchased in the mid-90's, fits a little tighter but still going strong ).

I am pretty sure that you are not supposed to connect two different types of batteries together but that is what I did for a few seasons with a flooded truck starting battery connected via solenoid to two AGM camper batteries. I don't know if I damaged or affected the lifespan of the AGMs but they don't seem to last all that long between charges. These days I don't use the solenoid connection and instead I charge the AGMs using a generator to run a smart charger.

I put 2 6vlt Lifeline batteries in my Hawk. Very good batteries with a great reputation. A bit spendy, but with a charger they should last many years. I have use a Morningstar charge controller to top them off from Solar.

Frosty_1 said:
I put 2 6vlt Lifeline batteries in my Hawk. Very good batteries with a great reputation. A bit spendy, but with a charger they should last many years. I have use a Morningstar charge controller to top them off from Solar.
Yeah, 2 six volts are optimal but twice the cost,weight, and space. I originally was going two 6's with 150 watt or so solar panels, then the whole thing got more spendy and too many options on controllers,etc. I decided to go back to my spartan roots and just enjoy the ride.

Frosty_1 said:
Which Morningstar controller is that?

Frosty_1 said:
This is what I have in my rig and am very happy with the battery setup.

I replaced the 6 year old original Interstate AGM 75a with a "vmaxtanks" 100a I think it's a 27 series.
They ship free and I think you get a discount on your first order. The cost was $200 total.
They have a huge selection of batteries and great customer service.
I ordered mine right from the company. No core charge.
Frank
Hi Frank,

I'm going to order a VMAX 100ah battery. Did you go with the SLR or MR series? Are you using a battery box? I'll be able to barely squeeze a 27 series size battery in with a battery box if I cut the handles off. Thanks,

Paul

Ronin said:
Hi Frank,

I'm going to order a VMAX 100ah battery. Did you go with the SLR or MR series? Are you using a battery box? I'll be able to barely squeeze a 27 series size battery in with a battery box if I cut the handles off. Thanks,

Paul
Paul I went with the MR127 100ah. In talking with them they said it would meet my needs.I did get a new box to fit the bigger battery.
I did trim off the box handles so I could get a closer fit.My battery area has enough room for the battery plus some storage.
I had with the camper an Interstate 85ah that is a bit smaller.
Also it fits the size solar I have.
I see the prices have gone up a bit.
Frank

Paul I went with the MR127 100ah. In talking with them they said it would meet my needs.I did get a new box to fit the bigger battery.
I did trim off the box handles so I could get a closer fit.My battery area has enough room for the battery plus some storage.
I had with the camper an Interstate 85ah that is a bit smaller.
Also it fits the size solar I have.
I see the prices have gone up a bit.
Frank
Yeah- it's going to cost $234.00 with the 10% discount, but no tax,free shipping, and no core charge. I spoke to someone at VMAX and he recommended the SLR series but his explanation didn't make any sense to me. I told him I wanted a dedicated deep cycle battery solely to power my fridge,lights,etc and it would be charged by my truck alternator. In the end he said either would work fine. I'll go with the MR127 since it's been working for you. Thanks a lot!!

Paul I don't know what the real difference is between the two but the MR series seems to be a good one for RVs solar.
The price has gone up about $25 since I bought mine last June.
Still a good buy.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom