Air bag suggestions

Skyhigh

Hi there, long time lurker and finally a new owner of a brand new Hawk. It should be here in a month or so. I have a few questions about airbags for my truck.
I drive an 04 Chev Silverado 1500 and just want to know peoples opinoins on the various airbag systems out there. Namely brands and prices. I don't need anything with a compressor just something reliable and user friendly.
Also how is the install on these units, is it worth doing your self or should I just take it in?

Thanks for any advice.

Sky,

Welcome to the forum. I installed my Firestone Ride Rites in about 4 hours though it could have gone faster but I wanted to be sure to get it right the first time. There are a number of threads here with pictures and discussion.
Maybe give it a quick search.

Welcome Skyhigh. I'd recommend doing a search in the forum on airbags as DLN suggests, you'll find heaps of info. I've pasted a link below to one of many:

http://wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=810&highlight=airbags

I went with Firestone Ride Rites too. I chose them strictly on the fact that the majority here are using them with good reviews and no complaints.

It seems to me most people here with the Chevy 1/2 tons say they don't even need them. I'm sure they'll chime in. Good luck and congrats on the new Hawk.

I have a 2000 GM 1/2 ton short bed. I had a Hawk and did not feel the need for airbags, I now have a Grandby and at first, thought I was fine without airbags. As I began to load more stuff in the camper & used it more I decided airbags would be needed. I went with the Firestone and can't imagine driving the vehicle without them.

Knowing what I do now, I probably would still go with airbags for a Hawk, not mandatory but nice to have.

Install was pretty straight forward, though the brackets did not fit as well as I would have liked. There is a rib/ridge on the frame of the GM's that interfere with the mounting bracket, Firestones cure for this is to shim the bracket with a stack of washers (pretty sloppy). If you are decent with tools then it's no big deal to do the bags yourself (if you don't have god drill bits, then get some!)

Good luck.

I'll second that Sam, be sure to have good high quality drill bits. I bought two of the best I could get from the local hardware store and it made the job very easy.

Thanks for the replys. I am also going to be towing a Yamaha Rhino behind the truck so I figured I'd better get the airbags. Has anyone had any problems with the airlines to the bags leaking in any ways?

More Hot Air

Take a look at PacBrake air bags before you buy, what ever you decide on they will be a fairly easy install.

I regularly tow a small trailer with motorcycle. I have had the trailer camper on the truck full time for about 4 months now and have not touched the airbags since the initial fill. I too anticipated occasional air leaks but so far not a single issue.

I just checked the PacBrake website and they look like a quality unit, though they only list an airbag kit for the GM 1/2 ton Heavy Duty so I don't know if that will work with your application.

www.pacbrake.com

98 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton

I installed the Firestone airbags, It took approx. 4 hours. being an ex-machinist I had very good drill bits, as I started to drill the holes it became apparent that without good bits it would have taken alot longer! About 1 year on the truck now with no leaks and a very smooth ride (installed after purchase of my Hawk). I had a slight sag without the bags and with full propane, water and gear a little lean to the left side. All was resolved with the install. My only drawback is my truck has a rough ride without the camper on but I do not take it off very often! I say do it, you will be glad you did when you pull that trailer!

I've talked with my mechanic buddy and he recommended a load leveler called tursten blocks?(I don't think that is exactly the right name) They install on to the bottom of your frame and they are a progressive dampener that takes the load as needed. They have no air and they offer stock ride when unloaded. Has anyone any experience with these? I've ordered a set but they haven't come in yet. I'll post up how they work once installed.

I wouldn't recommend those (if they are what I think they might be).

Do they look something like these ...

http://www.timbren.com/

I have not tried them personally, but I have talked to a few customers and they didn't seem to do much for extra carrying capacity (more of a rubber bottom out bumper).

I would suggest something like these ...

www.ride-rite.com

or

www.hellwigproducts.com

or

www.supersprings.com

I have a set of the SuperSprings (SSA8) on my Ford(s) F-150's for the past few years and they have worked great for what I need them to do.

Just my 2 cents worth

Hopefully others will chime in with personal experience, likes, and dislikes.

Yeah they are those timbrens. They just came in so I am commited. I should have posted this before I bought them. I got my Hawk today and it didn't drop the truck that much so hopefully they'll be enough. My mechanic buddy said almost every airbag he installs at his shop comes back leaking. We drive alot of rough gravel roads around here so maybe thats why.

Send Em Back

You can send them back, they will never replace airbags. I live in a place with rough roads, lots of trucks running bags, I've never heard a complaint. Get a new mech. and a set of Pac Brake bags, you will be happy you did. GETTIN READY FOR THE SEAFOOD ASSAULT 08 EDITION

Sorry Fisherman

I have a 99 Sierra half ton and have started to notice some uneven settling after a couple years of constant use, so I am also considering airbags.

Fisherman, I know you love the pack brakes but they don't have a set for us post 98 GMC/Chevy half-toners. :( Fish quota is good:thumb:

Stan-
Do the super springs level side to side alright. I have a left leaning, and I don't mean just my political one :D A buddy has then on his pick up and has been happy with them, but he doesn't have the load imbalance we do.

Spring Pack

Mike, springs do give up after being run at max. gross wt. for a long period, 1/2 ton truck, your probably over that with a loaded camper. It's just a thought, I don't know how you use your truck. I don't own stock in PacBrake, but they make good eqp. and it's all made in the US, very important to me.

Fisherman
Sag isn't extreme(yet?), justing noting that I think air bags would be a good idea on the 1/2 GMC/Chevys. Have not been bottoming out and inspections are clean. I really like the look of the Pac Brakes but without modification they won't fit my or Skyhigh's trucks.

I have really been going out of my way to buy American. To bad GMC's built in Canada and Ford in Mexico:(

My Dodge was built in Mexico too... My wife and I talk about this from time to time and think it is somewhat odd that the only vehicle we have that was built in the US is her Toyota! (well, the Jeep was built in the US too.. but that is over 20 years old now).

I installed the Timbrens today. It was a very easy install.(no drilling) I have yet to test them with the camper on the truck but they look like they are going to work good for my application.

most over-load springs can be adjusted, tightened differently, or set at different settings

the supersprings have adjustment holes, so if your truck is leaning on one side more that the other, just set the springs a bit stiffer on that side

you can use the 2 adjustment holes at the ends, and you can also position the superspring more forward, or more rearward to catch more or less of the stock leaf springs on your truck

they do have some flexibility and could would for your situation

let me know if you have any other questions ?

==================================================

Do the super springs level side to side alright. I have a left leaning, and I don't mean just my political one

Back
Top Bottom