AK Camper: Put on Utility Bed or Flatbed?

Stevet

Hi there, this is my first post to the website. I'm in the process of getting a truck/AK camper combo set up for my hopefully, soon to happen retirement! I've already gained a wealth of knowledge from reading various posts on here. So, here's my question:

What are pros/cons of a cabover versus non-cabover Alaskan Camper and pros/cons of placing either of them on a utility bed versus a flat bed? Utility beds already have storage boxes on both sides of the bed but boxes can also be added to the underside of a flatbed.

I see.....

Possible downsides/cons of a utility bed are
  • The unusable spaces in the bed versus the larger, more efficient footprint of a camper designed for a flatbed.

Downsides/cons of a flatbed are:
  • The flatbed is higher. Is this much of an issue; i.e. getting in and out of the door? Do you have to use a small step stool like I see in some of the photos?
  • Does the door have to be located on the side of a flatbed?
  • The interior of a NCO AK Camper: does the bed take up more space relative to a cabover model?
  • Will the dropped down (closed) height of the camper be substantially higher than a cabover on a utility bed? I plan on hitting some remote backcountry camping spots and trail openings can be tight.

Pros of a flatbed:
  • I can install a cage on top of the cab to hold various tools, etc.
  • A photo I see on Truckcamper magazine shows a NCO AK camper with two toolboxes running alongside the camper and underneath the top clamshell part.

I've attached some photos links of what I'm looking at.

Off-Road-Camper-popped-up.jpg

Dream-Machine-Alaskan-Camper-Pacific-Coast.jpg

Retire-Young-Have-Fun-storage.jpg

I'm not trying to run on here too long but want to get my questions out to get people's ideas/opinions/experiences with these variants of the TC world. I would like to hear everyone's thoughts who have camped in these types of rigs. What did you like/not like? What would you change? Flatbed, utility bed, cabover, NCO? Which bed/camper combo has more storage? Is one more awkward to camp in than another? Should I not consider any of these and just go with a standard truck bed?

I appreciate any and all comments.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, congrats on your upcoming retirement. If you haven't already, give Bryan Wheat at Alaskan a call, better yet, visit the factory. We looked very closely at Alaskans, and although we ultimately went with a Northern Lite, I was impressed with the quality that Alaskan puts into their campers. We have talked with owners who had both flat beds and utility bodies for their campers. Virtually all were cabover models, because of the additional living space they provide.

Talk to them about what you want to do with the camper, and where you want to take it. I suspect their feedback will guide you in your decision making.

I don't really know anything about Alaskan Campers, but for my FWC the flatbed model makes all the difference, and would highly reccomend it over the slide in configuration. Having a full width floor gets you away from the galley configuration, and opens up much more efficient floor plans and a ton more usable internal storage. You can still add under bed tool boxes for extra external storage as well. While obviously a totally different application from what you are considering, on my Tacoma the flatbed is ~4" higher than the normal bed, but all the appliances/heavy stuff can be mounted at floor level as opposed to being above the bed rails so the COG is probably not that different.

I am not sure is you can do a side door on an Alaskan, but I also view that as a major advantage over the rear door.

The beauty of Alaskan's is their ability to make whatever you want.
The alaskan has the best of both worlds. It's a flat bed on one side and has a large tool box on the other side.
It is one amazing and unique setup.
full

full

Dr J: Thanks for your response. I clicked the link under your name and saw the article on your family in Truck Camper Magazine. I read that a while back; very interesting.

I take it that the photograph you sent was of your father's rig: AK Camper and Chevy. That's a great looking rig. I want it!

Question for you: you stated that "It's a flat bed on one side and has a large tool box on the other side". Do you mean the passenger's side is fitted like a flatbed and the driver's side of the bed is "the tool box"?

Does the passenger's side plate sitting above the bed fold down at all? It looks like it does and that you can store items in the open space in-between the camper side wall and the aluminum plate. Do the tool boxes underneath ever give any issues/problems when traveling down rough forest service or 4WD roads? I really like the idea of the tool boxes for storage. Nice looking truck.

Lastly, your family has three different brands of campers; any pros/cons that you all notice and talk about when together? I'm leaning towards an Alaskan but always like to learn as much as I can about my options.

Thanks for your time in replying in advance,
Steve

Hi Steve,

The flat bed with the Alaskan is a creation of my father's. He designed it so that it could be used like a flat bed if the camper was off the truck. It also needed to be able to hold his tools and the rest of his gear while he travels.
It's aluminum and is already on its second truck.
It's unique and very well thought out.

The family has several different kinds of campers because of individual circumstances. The 68 siesta is the families original camper now restored. The Alaskan is what my father wanted to design and build when he gave up the siesta. The older grandby is used by my brother after he sold another grandby.
I've had 1 hawk and 2 different grandby's before finding what worked the best for me.
There are several other FWCs in our extended family and that seems to be the favorite company to go with.

Alaskan makes a great product as well. They are heavier and have some issues with sealing tightly and you have to be very careful with raising and lowering them.

On the plus side they are a quality built product and very customizable.

This is a 2015 Alaskan 8' side dinette wit cabover. It is on a longbed Dodge with a custom flatbed.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom