AK Ferry (North or South?) and places (not to miss) suggestions/timing, etc.

kmcintyre

Ok, planning on taking the ferry again in 2024 and starting my planning (again). Covid kind of stopped my last planned trip. I've searched the forum and anything that was > 2 years old I glanced at but hoping for some more current intel.

A few questions. We're planning on taking the ferry one way and driving back the other. Originally we thought we'd take the ferry South to North but I'm now thinking that North to South might be easier and less crowded? True or not? I suspect we'd just get a cabin but maybe North to South isn't as busy. I think we'd do Whitter to Bellingham but open to other suggestions

Timing? We can go just about anytime but would probably do 6 weeks minimum so looking for places that we don't want to miss. I'd like to fly fish too as much as possible (partner doesn't fish but she does use a SUP or inflatible kayak).

We'd be in a Chevy 3500HD diesel with a flatbed Four Wheel Camper.

Any and all info is appreciated.

BTW, I've seen posts where someone near Bellingham was allowing people to "camp" at their house (campground) and will have to message them. It's so far away, not sure it makes sense this early but will build up my contact list.

Thanks!
Kevin

We did north to south was awesome..slept on ferry fantail in a tent..Haines to Bellingham

On all 5 of our Alaska trips we have used the ferry.
We have always gone north to start,even when we used the Canadian system
out of Port Hardy,Vancouver Island.

Our very first trip in 1990 was a 3 week of tent camping with out 2 daughters.
We traveled north then drove south from Stewart/Hyder area.

Our next trip also with the girls tent camping was ferry both ways with lots of driving in Alaska.

Same for the 2009 trip only the two of us.Tent camping again but ferry systems both ways for the most part.
Drove some south along the Cassiar they to Rupert to catch the Canadian ferry south.

Our 2011 trip was with the new Bobcat ferry to Haynes then drive to Denali and back to Skagway,but
we had planed to drive all the way south but a huge slide half way along the Cassiar changed that.
So it was drive back to Skagway and ferry to Prince Rupert to catch the ferry to Port Hardy and drive home from there.

The 2016 trip we took the Kennicott from Bellingham to Whittier then camped for 2 weeks before driving to catch the ferry at Haynes
to head south.

We have always enjoyed our ferry trips.Some we slept on deck but the long through ones IMO a cabin was enjoyed.

My trip blog has the 09/11/16 trips.

Have fun planing.
Frank

dennis 221 said:
We did north to south was awesome..slept on ferry fantail in a tent..Haines to BelliIt
It seems like this direction is less travelled and might be easier to get a reservation/cabin/sleeping tent spot. True? Was it full/crowded when you did it?

Thanks!

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:

Our next trip also with the girls tent camping was ferry both ways with lots of driving in Alaska.

Same for the 2009 trip only the two of us.Tent camping again but ferry systems both ways for the most part.
Drove some south along the Cassiar they to Rupert to catch the Canadian ferry south.

Our 2011 trip was with the new Bobcat ferry to Haynes then drive to Denali and back to Skagway,but
we had planed to drive all the way south but a huge slide half way along the Cassiar changed that.
So it was drive back to Skagway and ferry to Prince Rupert to catch the ferry to Port Hardy and drive home from there.

The 2016 trip we took the Kennicott from Bellingham to Whittier then camped for 2 weeks before driving to catch the ferry at Haynes
to head south.

We have always enjoyed our ferry trips.Some we slept on deck but the long through ones IMO a cabin was enjoyed.

Have fun planing.
Frank
I'll check out your blog. Trying to figure out timing and best months, etc. I was hoping North to South might be a bit less crowded, etc. so we could tent it but a cabin would be nice too.

We have always gone late August through September and the crowds wern't
an issue.
You could also use the BC ferry system Port Hardy to Pr Rupert drive up the Cassiar to the Ak hwy
that's a nice trip if you want to drive more then ferry.
Frank

Over the years traveling the ferry we as vehicle people don't board first.
So most of the deck sleeping spaces are taken by the walkons.

If you can snag a spot under the atrium on a deck chair that works.
We did that on a couple trips but only for a couple nights each trip.
There are heaters and very little wind. It's a great experience to lie
there and watch the scenery roll by.

Frank

to head south.

Have fun planing.
Frank
Nice! Seems like maybe you made reservations on the ferry as you went?

Over the years traveling the ferry we as vehicle people don't board first.
So most of the deck sleeping spaces are taken by the walkons.

If you can snag a spot under the atrium on a deck chair that works.
We did that on a couple trips but only for a couple nights each trip.
There are heaters and very little wind. It's a great experience to lie
there and watch the scenery roll by.

Frank
Could you send your partner up with the walk-on crowd to save a spot and then drive on?

Some thoughts.
For sleeping you can sleep in the lounges but usually you need to clear your bedding before 8am.
You can't leave any personal items to save lounge spaces.After you wake in the morning you can return to the car deck when it opens.
The car deck is usually opened for 10/15 minuets every few hours.

There are public rest rooms and showers,free. It's a great experience,like camping on a moving vehicle.
Frank

rubberlegs said:
Is the car deck high enough to pop up a camper?
Yes with a truck camper they park you in the area with bigger trucks/buses.
I don't think one, there is a need to pop up or that the ferry crew would let you for a long period.

You can't stay in your vehicle when the car deck is closed.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom