Alabama to New Mexico, Arizona, Utah

John D

Saturday, we arrived back in Alabama after two weeks Wandering the West. Southern Gent and I enjoyed BBQ in Birmingham, Alabama with our wives the night before heading out. Gent previously posted a picture of us outside one of the Cities’ best BBQ spots.

The plan was to go southwest, seeking warmer weather. We were expected at a family event in SLC, thus we anticipated cold weather too. When Southern Gent and I were eating BBQ the weather was cool for Birmingham. Off we went, seeking Interstate 10, looking for warm weather, and hoping to avoid being ambushed by Cartel Smugglers along the border. Gent said food anywhere near Breaux Bridge was good, and he was proved to be right. We ate well in Mulates. Crayfish were not yet in season, needing a couple more weeks maturity for proper “sucking of the heads”.

Posted are a few of our better pictures, uncaptioned. Plus, I learned something of value about navigating muddy roads;

DIRT ROADS AND MUD are much less a problem if they are frozen. Unfortunately, we found ourselves looking for a camp well after dark one evening in Northern New Mexico. Finally we came to earth in Fenton Lake State Park after negotiating the snow and muddy tracks inside the campground. That night and the next day, I learned how well a limit slip differential works with weight over the rear wheels, as with a slide in camper. We carried chains but never needed them. Ground clearance, low gear ratios, mud/snow tires, chains, self rescue equipment, and common sense all add up to successful off road experiences. FWD trucks need these, same as 2WD trucks.

In Fenton Lake State Park, the temperature went down to 22 degrees F overnight. Next morning we got up early before the muddy roads had a chance to thaw and continued north and west over the dirt mountain road out to Cuba and route 550. The sun had just begun to become messy by the time we were clear of it. Fortunately, the dirt road to Chaco Canyon was dry, so no problem there. The lesson I learned is to be aware of the temperature when needing to travel mud roads. Travel in early morning hours when the mud is well frozen.

We did a bit of ad hoc scouting for Dirty Dog. Mogollon, NM, and the region around the ghost town would be worth considering for a group expedition similar to the Death Valley venture earlier this year. The mining museum is closed until later in the spring. Maybe they would open for and an organized group earlier in the year. We did not attempt the road beyond Mogollon. A sign said it was closed. Off road campers could probably negotiate it as a group. One must be prepared for winter travel and camping if going to Mogollon in February.

Attachments

• Chaco Canyon 1.jpg
    Chaco Canyon 1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 274
  • Chaco Canyon 2.jpg
    Chaco Canyon 2.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 251
  • Capital Reef.jpg
    Capital Reef.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 259
  • Capital Reef 2.jpg
    Capital Reef 2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 255
  • Spooky Tree.jpg
    Spooky Tree.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 275
More Pictures

More Pictures

Attachments

• Closed Road.jpg
    Closed Road.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 275
  • Somewhere.jpg
    Somewhere.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 274
  • Campfire.jpg
    Campfire.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 281
Mogollon and the Glenwood area might undeed make a good spot to congregate. Once Spring rolls around you can get good pie in Mogollon as well:thumb:

Hardy souls, Welcome Home

JohnD, Great write up. I do like your rig. That golden Oldde 1/2 with Limited Slip rear end was what I was looking for when I found my 4X4 Silverado.

SG, While on this trip, we stopped in Chevy and GM dealerships looking for 8' bed half tons like ours with extended cab, limit slip diff, and manual transmission behind a V8. There ain't none. If anyone out there knows of a new half ton 8' bed extended cab Chevy or GM with manual trans, I would like to know where. What I would like even more than the truck I have would be a Quadrasteer 8' bed with manual transmission.

With 450,000 miles, my truck will eventually need a rebuild or replacement. There are simply no new replacements available, so it looks like I'm going to rebuild it when the time comes. JD

SG, While on this trip, we stopped in Chevy and GM dealerships looking for 8' bed half tons like ours with extended cab, limit slip diff, and manual transmission behind a V8. There ain't none. If anyone out there knows of a new half ton 8' bed extended cab Chevy or GM with manual trans, I would like to know where. What I would like even more than the truck I have would be a Quadrasteer 8' bed with manual transmission.

With 450,000 miles, my truck will eventually need a rebuild or replacement. There are simply no new replacements available, so it looks like I'm going to rebuild it when the time comes. JD

You can alway order it the way you want it... Not that I'd put much of a down payment on a GM right now... You probably won't need to, either.

Scottbailey,

If you are right, please refer me to a dealer who will provide a new Chevy or GMC 1500 with extended cab, 8 foot bed, manual transmission behind a V8, etc. from General Motors, something that will fit my camper. I would very much appreciate contact information for that dealer.

Unfortunately, if you research this, I think you will soon learn, as I did, why GM is going out of business. They no longer serve their customers. Instead, I think you will find GM dealers attempting to intimidate the buyer into accepting something other than what they want. Well, it is my money and I am planning on keeping it. GM should start catering to what buyers want rather than what they think the can push off on people.

My present truck is clean and relatively rust free. Even at the current discounted prices, I can keep it reliable for less money than buying a new one. Incidentally, I am an old guy with his house paid off, no car loans, etc. I can write a check for any truck I want. This is actually an important post because it says a lot about what is wrong with this economy.

Climbing down from his soap box is John D.

That is a pretty rare combination you are looking for. I have an F150 Long bed, ext cab, 4x4, they are hard to find and trying to find a manual would make it nearly impossible. (You can but mine, I just switched to a F250). Only 10-15% of vehicles get manual shifters and seems like many of the long beds are 3/4 ton. Try Cars.com, that may get you to dealers and their fleet programs, but again they have more 3/4t.

Re: Gm

John,

GM has a long way to go before I'd buy from them again. My first gripe with them is there tallest 4x4 truck's ground clearance is not even in the ballpark of Dodge or Ford.

I still think you should be able to order what you want from your local Chevy/GMC dealer's fleet sales. I agree that regular sales guys motivation begins and ends with the units on the lot right now. But maybe you can't get a manual tranny anymore? Ever consider the 3/4 ton?

Getting your camper to fit is another story...

But if you like your truck, why buy a new one?

It is good to hear you are well capitalized; I agree with your assessment of our economy. I'm a (relatively) younger guy striving to attain wealth! Unfortunately, I still gotta work...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, love the pics. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom