Alaska, Alaskan CO and grey water

nixfwc

I have recently read that you are not allowed to release grey water in Alaska on the ground. My grey water usually consists of water, Campsuds and occasionally a small amount of toothpaste. Has anyone devised a grey water system for their Alaskan or had an experience with grey water in Alaska? I am heading there this summer with our 77 Alaskan CO for three weeks and would like to know what the skinny is with grey water there. In the past, in campgrounds I have used a collapsible 5 gall container which has worked well enough but when boon docking I let my grey water run out a hose to a tree or bush. Also if someone has a system for collecting grey water with their Alaskan. Thanks.

I designed a step set which carries a grey water tank of 6 gallons, the steps and a storage container for barbecue and water filter stuff....

check my gallery and the bottom pictures of the stair set...the tank has a hose which attaches it to the drain (old pool suction hose for the brush, couple of plumbing fittings, some gasket material....voila)

parks can get really upset with you for draining on the ground...it makes a mess and attracts critters to your back door...ask me how I know this ;)

I used some plumbing pipe to create 5.5 gallon gray water over the wheel we'll. I installed a drain valve and can transfer to portable container or dump in bushes.

I too have a place that requires you be totally self contained, no liquid transfers onsite. This gives me enough for a weekend and if I need to dump I leave and come back in. No portable gray water tanks allowed.

It is actually attached to camper.

Here's what I do with my grey water. I didn't care for hooking up the hose and Jerry can every time I stopped, especially when going from point A to B and stopping in a rest area etc. I have two containers so I can swap out when full.

greyWater.jpg

Greg
2010 AKC CO 10'
2013 GMC 3500HD 6.0L

I'd sure go with some kind of closed greywater container and try to empty (down privy or something) at night. In the interior of British Columbia I once had a bear attracted to an exterior greywater bucket that only had toothpaste suds in it. It was not a restful night.

Alaska has some real big bears, I believe.

For new campers, Bryan can build in a grey water tank under the sink. Mine has a valve so I can divert to the outside drain, bypassing the tank, when I'm in a suitable place.
The tank is only five gallons and disconnects so you lift it out of the camper through an outside hatch to empty it. Not overly convenient, but simple, low tech and functional.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

N said:
I'd sure go with some kind of closed greywater container and try to empty (down privy or something) at night. In the interior of British Columbia I once had a bear attracted to an exterior greywater bucket that only had toothpaste suds in it. It was not a restful night.

Alaska has some real big bears, I believe.
Thanks for that...new system needed for the upcoming Alaskan trip....didn't even consider bears and grey water....UGH

Back
Top Bottom