alaskan cab over camper

Brandon

Advanced Member
anyone know anything about these?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/1610539633.html

Heavy, expensive, and really nice. Marc had one and I know he loved his. Hopefully he will chime in here.

Heavy, expensive, and really nice. Marc had one and I know he loved his. Hopefully he will chime in here.

expensive is a relative term, $1500 but needs work compared to 10k but new..

I'll check it out, maybe make an offer. I'll need some air springs for my dakota I am sure..

They are heavy but very solid when in good shape. In the days when I owned one, it took a 3/4 ton to carry it as any 1/2 ton was overloaded. I would guess this is too much for a smaller truck without extensive suspension mods. They are great campers though. Very tough.

Great 4 season camper, especially in the snow. Mine was an early 70's NCO that I bought for around $500.00 and probably put another 3-400.00 into it. When I was done it was pretty nice. They are HEAVY. Mine was on a 97 F250 SD with 7.3 PSD. great combo. I had Firestone airbags which was a must. I really think these campers belong on 3/4 ton trucks IMHO.

Attachments

• alaskan (2).jpg
    alaskan (2).jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 1,707
I have one and I wouldn't even think about putting it on anything less than a 3/4 ton. I have it on my 1 ton dodge, and I still need airbags. Love it though. Very well build and thought out. Do miss the lightness of my FWC. If your wanting to go off road, they are awful heavy to tote around.

Great 4 season camper, especially in the snow. Mine was an early 70's NCO that I bought for around $500.00 and probably put another 3-400.00 into it. When I was done it was pretty nice. They are HEAVY. Mine was on a 97 F250 SD with 7.3 PSD. great combo. I had Firestone airbags which was a must. I really think these campers belong on 3/4 ton trucks IMHO.

What is happening to 3/4 ton ratings? I had my Alaskan on a 3/4 ton IH and it hardly knew there was anything there. Didn't affect the mileage either: 8 mpg with or without Alaskan. Great combination if you could afford the gas.

The one ton carries the Alaskan fine, but it want to keep the truck level with a load on.

What is happening to 3/4 ton ratings? I had my Alaskan on a 3/4 ton IH and it hardly knew there was anything there. Didn't affect the mileage either: 8 mpg with or without Alaskan. Great combination if you could afford the gas.

You're right, Alaskan Campers should really be mounted on a 3/4 ton truck. However, since I only have a 1/2 ton Dodge Ram with no new truck in the immediate future, it will have to do. I have a 1964 NCO Alaskan which weighs about 1500#. When I first installed it, the truck would sway and track something terrible. I solve the problem by installing heavy duty shocks. Seemed to fix the tracking and swaying. In addition, I installed 10 ply Dayton tires to deal with the extra weight. Add a 17' boat behind and it is a real workout for the old ram.
Mike.

thats the benefit of a diesel, better mileage

Back
Top Bottom