Alaskan camper AC or Not?

Bobbyb56

Hi. I just ordered an Alaskan Camper, that will not be built until later this year. Want to know what owners recommend, get the AC unit or not and have the 2 max-air exhaust fans instead? Will be traveling mostly in the Western US. But eventually some trips East in the spring and fall. Understand the camper is fairly well insulated but it does have a lot of window space. Thank you

When I bought my '04 last year I had Alaskan pull the AC and install the fan instead. Works great for me, from Mt to Ca

I have FWC Hawk with 230 nights in it from Northern Alberta all the way down to Baja. It has AC - its more of a boat anchor as I have only used it about 3 times. Fan works great!

I just bought a portable MightyKool K2 Swampy 12volt swamp cooler. It hasn't arrived yet but the specs show it only drawing 1.2 amps on medium. It is not an air conditioner but rather it is a spot area cooler (you have to be positioned in front of the fan to feel cool air and you need fresh air ventilation.)

The unit has a thick membrane that acts as a heat exchanger and as such it doesn't require ice to blow cool air just water that evaporates. The downside is the price: $350.

Edit: Price in the US is $299 including shipping

When I visited the factory in January, there was a finished unit waiting pickup with AC on the roof. The unit was bigger than I expected, and took up some ceiling space inside too. I decided just to order the support and wiring. I can add the AC itself later if I want.

2017-01-16 iPhone IMG_0565.jpg 2017-01-16 iPhone IMG_0554.jpg 2017-01-16 iPhone IMG_0548.jpg
In the last photo, it may be hard to see, but the white thing on the ceiling is the AC.

I've been using an Alaskan for nearly 30 years...no AC....only a couple times I thought I'd need one....fire up the exhaust fans and open the windows....in the baking sun it could help...desert camping when you're looking for shade

I have the original mini 12v swap cooler granny had in the camper...have never used it but it still works

It's a lot of weight on the roof, I wouldn't want one just for that reason. I think they reinforce the roof for AC, but there is still not much to the roof structure

Back
Top Bottom