All 4 NA Deserts

Barko1

My new wife :D is from the Midwest, just moved in with me in NM, and I thought an introduction to the North American deserts was in order. We had no definite plan, a few options, and it ended up that we went to the Chircahua NM,
P1050611-M.jpg

then Organ Pipe NM.
P1050632-M.jpg

In Organ Pipe head for the Alamo Canyon primitive campsites, the main camp is not too inspiring.
And we had four dogs along :eek: Here are a couple
P1060038-M.jpg

Of course we now have a blended family
P1060138-M.jpg

From there up through Joshua Tree, it was Presidents Day weekend so more people than I cared for. Went through Kelso and camped North of Cima down a dirt trail, great place. By the time we got there i was sick from what I think was a bad med reaction so I took pictures from in the tent we brought along
P1050725-M.jpg

From the Mohave Preserve we headed through Baker and up Warm Springs Canyon in DV, also stayed a night in Echo Canyon and a night along the road North of Ubehebe where we got buzzed by what I think were F118's. The Furnace Creek campground is closed for renovation but it was never very exciting anyway. DV always provides some good sunsets.
P1060070-M.jpg

Not much traffic out there
P1060102-M.jpg

Of course did Titus Canyon, always a great ride, marked as high clearance, maybe this was a rental?
P1050980-M.jpg

Once heading out of Death Valley had to decide wether to head home via Phoenix or take a bit of a detour for a brief intro to Southern Utah. A few hundred extra miles and probably some cold temps but the new bride wanted to check it out so after bypassing Vegas we stopped for the night at a BLM site right off I15, could hear the Interstate but it was convenient and quite pretty (Cowboy dog picture).
Best loop in Utah? I'd say run through Zion, then North to Route 12 and connect to 95 hitting Bryce, Staircase Escalante, Boulder, Capital Reef, the Dirty Devil and Colorado Rivers, White Canyon and Natural Bridges, National Monument, down the Moki Dugway, and spent the last night along the San Juan River near Bluff. Back home through Window Rock AZ, Gallup NM, and a stop in Pie Town New Mex for some refreshment.
P1060187-M.jpg

P1060223-M.jpg

P1060203-M.jpg

P1060343-M.jpg

P1060367-M.jpg

11 days, 2500 miles, so may beautiful sites :)

What a great goal -- the 4 deserts -- and a great overview/introduction of "the west" to your wife!

I've been through three of the deserts in one trip -- when I've driven to southern AZ from Oregon, but my only visit to the Chihuahuan Desert was flying to El Paso, renting a car, and driving to Big Bend.

I'm usually not into cuteness, or "adorable"...but these two shots are so great!
biggrin.gif

P1060038-M.jpg

"What's it going to do next? Maybe it'll jump into my mouth...?!"-------------------------__-"Or into my mouth!"

P1060138-M.jpg

Very dignified!
biggrin.gif

(great depth of field in this shot, by the way :))

Thanks, Barko!

<snip> A few hundred extra miles and probably some cold temps but the new bride wanted to check it ........<snip>

Mr. Barko, sounds like you got a good one. Wonderful trip, thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom