Along The Carson Route, California Trail - October 2019

Great question who rests in those graves and what are their stories?
Thanks for this latest bit of Cal.history.
Enjoyed your telling of the history of the areas you hike through.
Thanks for sharing them.
Frank

You saw the last of bare ground for the season too!
Good sleuthing on the graves sites. They are one of the few durable bits of physical history.

Thanks for your report- great way to celebrate a birthday. On our travels to the west, we always enjoy coming across remnants of the emmigrant trails and imagining the experiences of the people who traveled them.

Great spot to watch the stars if you get off the mountain later than you expected to. To be so close destination and not make it. I assume it was immigrants buried there.

Another wonderful TR !! What route do you take to get to 395 when all the passes are closed?

Great B'Day trips. Happy B'Day to both of you and thanks for sharing a neat trip. I think I'm caught up now. An enjoyable hour of reading. jd

Frank and Steve, thanks so much for your nice comments. I'll continue working on the story behind the graves. Since I enjoy the story maps can tell - I notice "Horse Thief Springs" to the southeast of the Plasse Trading Post site. Is it possible the grave holds the remains of the captured horse thief?

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Great question who rests in those graves and what are their stories?
Thanks for this latest bit of Cal.history.
Enjoyed your telling of the history of the areas you hike through.
Thanks for sharing them.
Frank

Wandering Sagebrush said:
A wonderful TR, and great birthday present for The Lady. Thanks for letting us tag along!

Thanks Lighthawk! Yes, the old trail is now buried in winter's snow. :)

Lighthawk said:
You saw the last of bare ground for the season too!
Good sleuthing on the graves sites. They are one of the few durable bits of physical history.

Ah Craig, I sense a story behind your star comment. :)
Thanks for the comment!

craig333 said:
Great spot to watch the stars if you get off the mountain later than you expected to. To be so close destination and not make it. I assume it was immigrants buried there.

takesiteasy, thanks for the nice comment! The old trails are fascinating and it's hard to imagine all the individual stories of the people toiling by.

takesiteasy said:
Thanks for your report- great way to celebrate a birthday. On our travels to the west, we always enjoy coming across remnants of the emmigrant trails and imagining the experiences of the people who traveled them.

Thanks Ronin! We have no secret path over the summit when the passes are closed, unless you want to take a long trip on skis. :)

Ronin said:
Another wonderful TR !! What route do you take to get to 395 when all the passes are closed?

Thanks John! We appreciate it. :)

longhorn1 said:
Great B'Day trips. Happy B'Day to both of you and thanks for sharing a neat trip. I think I'm caught up now. An enjoyable hour of reading. jd

Not much of a story. I wanted to hike from the end of the road on the squaw ridge (Pardoe) trail up to Melissa Coray PK? and halfway up realized I'd started much to late. Its a pretty easy Jeep trail so not bad to manage in the waning light. At some point I looked up, turned off the engine and just admired the stars for a while.

Thanks for not revealing the location of the secret tunnel through the mountains!

Back
Top Bottom