Alpine Loop Yankee Boy Basin Dispersed Camping

trailrider

Advanced Member
My new ATC will be making its maden voyage in Colorado. Is there many opportunities for dispersed camping on the Alpine Loop? If so which is better, route to Cinamon Pass (south section) or Engineer Pass (north section)?

Here is some forest information I found.

Dispersed Camping
The majority of Forest lands on the GMUG are open to camping. There are restrictions on how far you can travel off of designated roads with a motorized vehicle to park while camping at dispersed locations. On all of the GMUG, motorized vehicles may travel no more than 300 feet from the road to a parking spot for the purpose of camping at these dispersed locations. The Forest Service typically provides no developed facilities (such as tables, fire grates, trash receptacles, drinking water, electricity or rest-rooms) for dispersed camping. Such amenities are only provided in Forest Service campgrounds. There are no fees associated with dispersed camping.
The public is encouraged to camp in locations where others have previously camped and utilize existing routes (two-track trails) to those camp areas. Campers are required to leave a clean camp, not to damage vegetation or pollute streams and lakes on the National Forest and implement "leave no trace" practices. Dispersed camping should not occur within 100 feet of streams and lakes or in areas where camping is restricted to designated sites such as the Gothic/Schofield Pass road (#317) and Taylor River canyon corridor (CR 742) on the Gunnison National Forest

Here is some BLM information I found

[SIZE=10.5pt]Dispersed Camping with a Vehicle[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]For dispersed camping and general recreation, you must not travel with a motor or mechanized vehicle more than 300 feet from the edge of a designated road while on an existing route. If no existing route is available you must not park a vehicle more than 30 feet from the edge of a designated route as defined in the 2010 Gunnison Basin Federal Lands Travel Management Plan Record of Decision.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Are these the regulations for the Alpine Loop?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Any dispersed camping up at Yankee Boy Basin?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Thanks,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Mike[/SIZE]

Mike, my read when we were in the area - Yankee Boy no dispersed camping due to amount of use. There are two small campgrounds just up the road from Ouray. I might stay at Thistledown, I wouldn't stay at Angel Creek. I do not know if the no camping holds true if you move up Imogene a bit. All we saw around Animas Forks is no camping in town. There are a few spots along Cinnamon Pass Road but pay attention because there is a lot of private property inholdings.

There is great camping near Silverton. It is just southwest at 37.812547,-107.743844

It does have pit toilets but it is free and central to many great drives.

I've disperse camped several times along South Mineral Creek, NF-7. Entrance is west off US-550 about 3 miles north of Silverton. There are many official "dispersed camping" areas along the road, many very nice. Convenient to many of the interesting trails in the area. Ha, just noticed this is the same area ETAV9R recommended... so a second opinion.

Check my blog for more info and photos: http://bosquebill.blogspot.com/search/label/South%20Mineral%20Creek

Thanks for the replies. I think we camped along South Mineral Creek years ago in a small motorhome.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom