aluminum vs fiberglass

kpredator

hello

just wondering peoples opinions of aluminum vs fiberglass roof and siding.

we are planning on a new popup and why I am asking this question.spotted a glass sided camper
with bubbles on siding.

we have been using an old Northstar and want to get it right when we purchase our
next camper

thanks in advance

kevin

I had a Snowriver, water got in the roof and started delaminating the filon walls. I would trust aluminum more than the filon wall and rubber roof.

Aluminum is very durable and light but it conducts the cold into the camper and so produces more condensation inside the camper compared to fiberglass. We would not get an aluminum skin and a wood frame because of condensation. Fiberglass is a better choice for a wood frame.

Aluminum sides and aluminum frame are a durable combination. How long do you plan to use the camper?

I wouldn't worry about the aluminum and wood combination. My Grandby has aluminum and wood, and it will last a long time with an appropriate level of care. I also have a Caribou hard side aluminum frame with glass sides. It's been a maintenance and quality nightmare almost from the beginning. The only fiberglass camper I would consider purchasing is something like a Northern Lite (monocoque shell). I simply don't trust the glass composites.

The fiberglass looks nice. But when I learned that it a) weighed more, b) cost more, c) was more prone to scratching and d) would be MUCH more difficult to repair in the event of a serious gouge I said "Hmmmm... what should I do?)

Sometimes the old faithful reliable is the best way to go. We are much more focused on "Function instead of form"! (I even offered to the Admiral to order the Silver Spur exterior. Sioux replies, "600 bucks! Do you know how much wine that would buy?"

My two cents... :)

Steve

ayjvYA8xgEPzqhwwkVAPUH2D7gT8o7LgWUiDqS0k6GQKZmdbxzLjFuGONDQkSoD0SRcpR2vfzuZo_p_Tl5y8FMDJicEuTAT6dT96p6yyXKNY9a0R6yKzd8xZmsS7UzJLS8OOA_0jPlZLMHgl3trXexCEtS7oaiZymMhlQgKmbJ5PxYdadcWa2UlzWW9VUCWQlu6WU3eclI-Izq_9Acivn3TEyZtC47mBLrZoT4hxUyPMOk0zjSblfwRLn52UGckpgImXKiZOdTJnBigVo-4Zz2FYqCoSgqu5_B0WZl2Z1xOuzYw8skDDygXJw2BFiU6pQCOfqmlKOAvhrrOjxmeWF1KG6IJdWNTu3OqjtB_VqX0VPKJow_SE2KEmFoDycTVUhIh1UfpWmL_aR80NAcqOlLRVJ6S5LG5KFRuexeXbteMDMURHLBnoLw8jFJfnoPe-T84l5hAHdIXLbTz7GG5e2CS61QniuV9derD1BeH3J4gla517wpiseH1Hw0iQpjyJKCtLzKYNMzbihl63OUNEXEgMaK03jS_0rDDXszJZSQ4g=w1134-h850-no

I will offer an opposing view here.
I've had both campers and just recently purchased a fiberglass exterior on my new one.

The fiberglass exterior is very sharp. It's easier to clean and does insulate somewhat better than the older type of siding.

I love mine and would not order the old style again.

From my experience, fiberglass is more fragile and very expensive to repair. I had an XP fiberglass camper that developed stress cracks even from highway bumps. Aluminum may look old fashioned but it is tough stuff. I bought an Alaskan.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

it all depends on the brand imo, like i said before i have owned two Northstar pop campers and never had any problems with the fiberglass or for that matter anything major.

Back
Top Bottom