AM/FM radio installation

bike4mee

Hey campers
I would like to have a small AM/FM radio in the camper that I could hardwire and mount into the cabinet. It would be ideal if I could plug my Ipod into it also for tunes. Lots out there on the market. Anybody have any good pics, ideas, advice here and on speakers and mounts, ect
thanks

I've been looking into this as well. A sound system, not so much a radio, for the camper. For us the places where we're likely to use the system will be out of range of any station most of the time. What I've found is this amp: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2061PXI502/Kicker-11PXI50-2.html?tp=35757 Thought is to drive a set of bookshelf speakers with it. Since my wife is never w/o her iPhone (which has most of her music on it) I think that this is all that we'll need in the camper.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500UTE42BT/Alpine-UTE-42BT.html?tp=5684

We don't use CD's much anymore because we have all of our music on thumb drives, or through our phone. This player will give you the option of Bluetooth or cord for your phone/Ipod and a USB port for other music.

Easy install and with speakers will cost you under $200

Ntqsd

Here's what I did , this is a newer model but you get the idea.
http://www.ihomeaudio.com/iP16GX/

Had and older camper before with a stereo CD player , used the cd the most and my iPod , so when I picked up my newer camper I just couldnt bring myself to put holes in the cabinets etc , I'm very happy 1/2 gig of tunes no signal issues and usually get 3-4 days of music on a charge .

Here's the stereo install in my '96 Grandby. The radio is a Kenwood with a USB port on the front panel and will operate an ipod, etc. As you can see in the picture, I have a 32GB thumb drive plugged into the USB port. That contains enough music to keep me happy for a loooong time :rolleyes:

The second picture shows speaker install, also Kenwood's. The two analog meters next to the rear speaker
monitor my 100 watt solar install.

Attachments

• grandby2.jpg
    grandby2.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 193
  • grandby1.jpg
    grandby1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 184
Can you post a pic of the inside of the cabinet holding the head unit?

Here ya go....

Attachments

• radio.jpg
    radio.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 171
Thanks
I like the food cabinet idea for a mount. Any ideas as to a power source wire to wire into? Would any red wire work?

In the IOTA distribution center there is some extra wires that are fused. I tried to hook the stereo to the #6 wire (15 amp Fuse) which was extra. It didn't produce enough power for the stereo. It seems these wires are powered down? Anybody know of a better wire for the stereo? I could go directly to the battery, it seems to work and I hope it isn't a drain. Ideas?

You don't mention what kind of camper you have? I have a FWC Hawk shell with solar panel I found spare fuse locations on my distribution block that had no power until I turned on the main switch. These extra fuse locations had no power and the interior and exterior lights did not work with the main switch turned OFF. I am taking a stab in the dark at this? So I don't want to mislead you. Larry

I have 3 years old Kestral model. Most 4WC are the same in the last few years. There are a few unused wires that come out of the IOTA distribution box. The one I used for the Pioneer car stereo doesn't seem to have enough power to run it. If I did hook directly to the camper battery it works fine. Just wondering if anybody has any other ideas on a wire with enough power to run the stereo???
Thanks

Finally installed the stereo/FM radio. It is nice to have a FM radio in the camper (when we can get reception) I had to wire the power directly to the camper battery. I installed a shut-off switch next to the stereo so as to not drain the batt when off. The cabinet idea was great since this is close to the battery and side-wall for the antenna installation

Attachments

• stereo and shut-off.JPG
    stereo and shut-off.JPG
    297.1 KB · Views: 113
Back
Top Bottom