Ancient Sites and Symbols

That was very enjoyable! Thanks for the glimpse of some of the special places near you. I sure remember the German food in the Midwest. The ancient sites are certainly special.

Thanks for the comments. We have had so much rain, I wish we could send some out west. But it does keep things green. Of course, the bugs love the moisture too- we are having a banner year of ticks and mosquitoes. :unsure:

Cool trip report! Neat seeing the old carvings. Good idea on the screened awning. Did you guys do that or ordered?

takesiteasy said:
Thanks! We mostly made the awning. I wrote a blog entry on that too. http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2013/06/new-awning.html
This is a great write up! We have been so many places (even above 9,000 ft, where there aren't supposed to be 'no see-ums'!) that are swamped with bugs. Anywhere from out west, the UP of Michigan, or most recently near Eastport, Maine; where I may add that we got eaten alive. The bites are still healing from two weeks ago! We may just have to use this engineering.

4buckeye said:
This is a great write up! We have been so many places (even above 9,000 ft, where there aren't supposed to be 'no see-ums'!) that are swamped with bugs. Anywhere from out west, the UP of Michigan, or most recently near Eastport, Maine; where I may add that we got eaten alive. The bites are still healing from two weeks ago! We may just have to use this engineering.
Thanks. Yeah, bugs can be ridiculous. Help yourself to the 'engineering" and let us know if you make improvements to it. I'm already thinking about how to adapt the setup so it sheds rain better. Right now the water collects in the middle of the tarp in a heavy rain. I use a pole with a tennis ball on top to raise the middle of the tarp. It works but I think I can do better, maybe using some old fiberglass tent poles.

Smokecreek1 said:
Years ago I attended a meeting in Min., we had some time so we went north to the "Pipe Stone" National Park , that was sort of neat and also so a historic road stop identifying the first place they made "creamed corn"--now that was interesting! As for" no-seeums", try Avon "skin so soft", after many years of trying to find something (other than wind) to fight those things off, it was the best of the bunch and was almost standard issue for our field crews---does this new system that WTW uses have a spell check with it it? :unsure: I can't spell and I miss the back up!

Smoke

Smoke, thanks for your comments and tips. We have a variety of potions we use for bugs, Skin So Soft among them. Generally like the natural-based concoctions better than Deet. It works well for skeeters but who knows what the side effects might be.

Back
Top Bottom