Animas Forks, Colorado

RJones

Contributors
I recently visited Silverton Co. and took a side trip to Animas Forks. Animas Forks is located in a pristine and rugged landscape that was still having a lot of spring run off. Animas Forks is surprisingly a very intact ghost town that I have visited and here are a few pictures.

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

RJones, great pics. Thanks for posting. That's some beautiful country. I'm hoping to get out to Colorado this fall.

Cheers,

Mike

Nice report, RJ, thanks for sharing. Mike and Marc, you both mention this fall. I'm pretty sure this is the area planned for the Colorado rally. Is that what you are refering to?

Ted, barring unforeseen circumstances I'll be at the rally. My brother lives in the Denver area, so after the rally I'll head that way. Then from there I don't have any plans. With any luck I'll go somewhere and become confused.

Cheers,

Mike

Nice report, RJ, thanks for sharing. Mike and Marc, you both mention this fall. I'm pretty sure this is the area planned for the Colorado rally. Is that what you are refering to?

Yes. In Silverton, CO the Alpine Loop Byway is also called Blair St. I hope to get there myself.:thumb:

RJones' pictures sure do show what beautiful country it is. Thanks for sharing. I may have to add that to yet another side trip, before, during or after the rally.

Thats a 10/4 Ted. Looks like a good side trip.

marc

I was thinking of heading that way in the next few days. Are there good primitive camping options? Ant recommended spots. I will likely be bring a dual sport along for the exploring.

Barko,

Take 550 north out of Silverton for about 2 miles and take a left onto "Forest Access" and there is free camping along the river. The nights are cool and not a bug to be seen as of June 26th. Definitely bring the dual sport, you'll reach more area easily.

Out this road is one of the best kept secret campsites in the Silverton area. North of Silverton, going toward Cinnamon and Engineer Pass there are more opportunities. Camp in any of these areas and you will be central to many trails. Ophir Pass is hard to beat.

-Buzz

I camped somewhere along the river there in an old class A I had. Just a few rigs then but later in the summer when I went by it looked packed. Not sure what the plan is, thought about riding a bike up, I have a comfy Honda ST1300 but that would'nt be as good when I got there. Temperature is down to 101 now. I will pack bug spray but I can't imagine they being as bad as what I ran into last week in Wisconsin:eek:

Back
Top Bottom