Annoying Flap

super doody

Whenever I pop down my camper, a little piece of the rear driver-side vinyl always sticks out so I have have to flip it over and tuck it in to avoid being pinched.

Its an annoyance which I can deal with but I'm more concerned about the additional fold/crease and premature wear on the vinyl.

Anyone else experience this or have any ideas on how to remedy this issue?

Jim

I had two corners on the 2002 Hawk that flaps did the same thing. Just tucked in and latch down. Lost of room in side for the flap so no harm by tucking in. If you left it out you would have a problem. Note my new 2013 Hawk the flaps do not do this..

Normal to all pop-ups as far as I know. Had to do this with my VW camper too. Leaving it out with the top down as in your photo will destroy it. Every time I lower the top I do a trip around the whole camper checking to make sure the top is inside before latching it down. I have two spots that need to be tucked in almost every time.

Ted said:
<snip> Every time I lower the top I do a trip around the whole camper checking to make sure the top is inside before latching it down. I have two spots that need to be tucked in almost every time.
x2

I just use my hands to pull both back corners in from inside when the rear top is almost all the way down. No more tucking in from the outside, as it's hard to lift the roof from the outside, even without the kayaks on top.

Your problem may also be that the 3 small straps that are behind the lift panel,front and back may have pulled away.How I know this is that I lowered the top once without opening the door and the middle and right side front strap pulled off the lift panel.It's not a problem,as you can just tuck in from the outside or inside.Or I now close the camper and turn on the fan to suck the air out and pull the lined in.Works great especially for the front.
That's how I take care of any liner left out.Also do a walk around to make sure.
Frank

Some people turn on the exhaust fan, close the door (does not need to be latched) and lower the roof. By slowing the prograss of the roof coming down, the vaccume will pull the sides in a little more. This can be a bit of a surprise when you do it because there will be an extra pull from the vaccume which means the roof will be even heavier as it comes down. I did that a number of times when I first got my Hawk but it seems to fold in pretty well without the fan being on so I quit doing it.

Steve

NorCalSteve said:
Some people turn on the exhaust fan, close the door (does not need to be latched) and lower the roof. By slowing the prograss of the roof coming down, the vaccume will pull the sides in a little more. This can be a bit of a surprise when you do it because there will be an extra pull from the vaccume which means the roof will be even heavier as it comes down. I did that a number of times when I first got my Hawk but it seems to fold in pretty well without the fan being on so I quit doing it.

Steve
This is a great back up plan for lowering the roof when it is storming, blowing, pouring rain, snowing. Or bugs.

Okay, so I'm not alone :p . I do try to pull in on the vinyl as the camper comes down.The elastic bands (behind the lift panel) and bunggy are in good shape.

super doody said:
Okay, so I'm not alone :p . I do try to pull in on the vinyl as the camper comes down.The elastic bands (behind the lift panel) and bunggy are in good shape.
I think most of us just walk around the camper and tuck in any bits of the sideliner that might be hanging out before clamping down the roof.

If you go over to the ATC spot on here and read the pinned thread on pop up care and feeding, one thing mentioned is going around and tucking in the corners extra to prevent premature wear on the liner.

I"m X6 or 7, mine will get a spot out on the front requiring tucking from time to time.

Doug Stewart said:
I think most of us just walk around the camper and tuck in any bits of the sideliner that might be hanging out before clamping down the roof.
I do the same. I thought I was in the minority.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Your problem may also be that the 3 small straps that are behind the lift panel,front and back may have pulled away.How I know this is that I lowered the top once without opening the door and the middle and right side front strap pulled off the lift panel.It's not a problem,as you can just tuck in from the outside or inside.Or I now close the camper and turn on the fan to suck the air out and pull the lined in.Works great especially for the front.
That's how I take care of any liner left out.Also do a walk around to make sure.
Frank
Looks like you may be in the running for a No bal looning prize.
I am joining the fan club.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom