Another Campground Incident – What Would You Do?

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
Our friend Ted recently had an incident at a campground in Sequoia National Park. The Lady and I spent this past holiday weekend, and stayed in the campground, at Pinnacles National Park. The Teds made the right choice in their circumstance and this post in no way is meant to compare the two incidents. Each incident is different. I tie this post to Ted because Wander the West members have had their share of unfortunate encounters. ‘Nuff said. Here’s the story. What would you do?

We turned in early. The campground was full, but quiet. We both dropped into deep sleep.
“Who is making all that noise?” the Lady asked. She was tight against my back, her voice in my ear. As I woke up I tried to focus. Someone was indeed loudly talking and close by.
“Where are they?” the Lady asked. “They sound so close and loud.”
As I rose up on my elbows I asked, “What time is it?”
The Lady checked the clock. “It’s after ten.”
I looked out the window into the night. Directly below me, our campsite’s table was covered with gear. We had left it clean and empty. An adult male with a headlamp was standing at one end over a stove and a boiling pot. A car was driven up and parked at the table. I saw a tent erected in the background. There was at least one other person. The man at the stove was carrying on a loud conversation with whoever else was there. The scene took a short while to register. It just did not make sense. This was our campground, reserved, bought and paid for.
I quickly ripped the Velcro open for the clear vinyl window. I did not yell but forcefully asked, “What are you doing in our campsite?”
Excuses, explanations came in a hurry. “We didn’t have reservations. There was no place to camp. We didn’t know this was your campsite.”
I stopped him. “You woke us up with your noise and talk. You are in our campsite.”

Before I tell the rest of the story I want to ask, “What would you do?”

Depends on how they said we had no place to camp. If in a nice way and an apology came with it I would ask them to stay quite an let them spend the night. If done with an attitude they would be leaving the camp site.

I camped in the Yosemite valley and there was a BIG pusher class A who started his generator after 10PM. After about 15 minutes I went over and could not get anyone to answer even though they had a TV on and were talking. I walked around the motorhome and shined my 5 cell Maglight in all the windows. Told them in a loud voice that someone had gone looking for a ranger please turn off the generator! Still no response I put my foot over the exhaust pipe and the generator stopped. It did not come back on.

Geez. I hope I would do something similar to Bill. If they stayed quiet and left in the morning, I wouldn't turn them in. If they were jerks, I'd report them. Was there a campground host?

Noise in campgrounds is one of my pet peeves. It shows a real lack of courtesy to everyone around them.

Mr. 3pin, had it been me, I would have told the people to leave now, and leave quietly, unless they wanted to have a conversation with the LEO at the park. I think I would also have taken a flash photo to document the scene, and to get the license plate.

I generally figure that camping in a campground is going to be less than ideal and I usually just suck it up when people are troublesome- not one to have confrontations. Having said that, everyone should be entitled to sleep peacefully after 10 pm. If that was not happening after a discussion with the people, I would engage the host for assistance. Sucks anyway you look at it. One would hope people would just be considerate, but that often seems an empty hope these days.

Take photos folks! Photograph the license plate and them if you can. Then they know you know who they are.
It takes away the anonymous "I can get away with it" attitude that seems prevalent.

The rudeness of acting innocent while impacting your camp requires some heavy duty apologies before I would allow them to stay.
Attitude counts for a lot, but their actions count more.

billharr said:
Depends on how they said we had no place to camp. If in a nice way and an apology came with it I would ask them to stay quite an let them spend the night. If done with an attitude they would be leaving the camp site.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
...................... unless they wanted to have a conversation with the LEO at the park.

Lighthawk said:
It takes away the anonymous "I can get away with it" attitude that seems prevalent.

The rudeness of acting innocent while impacting your camp requires some heavy duty apologies before I would allow them to stay.
Bill, I heard no apologies. I heard excuses after the fact of being caught.

Mr. Sage, after this incident it will become habit with me to have a conversation with the host about protocols on handling an incident and how to get law enforcement if necessary without going through the host, especially in a remote area with no cell service.

Lighthawk, your depiction of attitude was what I saw and heard.

Mr. 3pin, these guys knew exactly what the were doing. Taking over another person's camp, and trying to avoid paying. Same as when Ted had his spot stolen.

I would not let emotion into it, but be quietly firm that they need to pack up and leave your site. After that, it's off to get the host or ranger.

I'm sorry that happened to you and the Lady!

How did it turn out?

Part Two -

I stopped him. “You woke us up with your noise and talk. You are in our campsite. You are leaving now.”
“Leave! You want us to leave?”
He seemed shocked that I would tell him to leave.
“That’s our car. That’s our tent all set up. Can’t we leave in the morning?”
I turned to the Lady and I do not know how much of this he heard, “What do you think about that?”
The Lady said, “Right now I want them to shut up.”
I was back at the window, “Not one more word!” I closed the window and laid back.

We did not hear another word. I had gotten their attention. There was very quiet movement outside. The doors of the vehicle were opened and closed a few times. I expected they would leave. They had never seen me, only heard my voice. I had not given a clear indication they could stay. They were completely quiet – at least as far as I knew, because we both fell back into a sound sleep. I knew what would happen in the morning if they were still there. They did not.

Before I tell the rest of the story I’ll ask again, “What would you do?”

ski3pin said:
<Snip>
Before I tell the rest of the story I’ll ask again, “What would you do?”
Well, I would have made sure I had clothes on, that they didn't have flashlights (and Oregon plates), and that the door didn't squeak... Then I would have visited the host.

I'll add this - there were two things they did not know that would have helped greatly in their decision making process, if they had a decision making process - how early we are up in the morning and the morning low would be around 24°.

Well, I would have made sure I had clothes on, that they didn't have flashlights (and Oregon plates), and that the door didn't squeak... Then I would have visited the host.
I knew this was coming. :)

That's why I avoid campgrounds at all costs. Would much rather just pull off the road somewhere than have to deal with the a-holes of the world. Which by the way there are a ton of them out there and multiplying rapidly.

Neighbors can be obnoxious even when you are at home. We have a new neighbor across the creek and beyond the woods who paid $550k for their home. They sent us neighbors a letter advising us that their daughter's wedding might be somewhat loud and if we wanted to stop by to visit when we heard the live music to dance we could. Also, they asked if we could refrain from shooting, mowing lawns and other mechanized activities. Fine. No problem and I am am frequently a second shooter at weddings if they needed more documentation. Not a peep.

The music was loud and was mainly hip hop which really isn't my preference. At 12:15am I called to ask if they would turn the music down a notch as it was really loud, our windows were open because even in washington state the summers can be HOT and we retire early usually. Legally, after 10:00 pam is quiet time in the county. My call was answered by a drunk father of the bride who became all huffy. I said that unless he had a permit for a party, would he turn down the volume? Our homes are about 400'-500' apart separated by thick woods. He complied.

Not long after that we received a letter proposing a no shooting zone for our small neighborhood. My husband has had to use his shotgun to shoot the rats that the other neighbor introduced by letting his chickens roam free eating the grain he scatters. The grain-fed rats are big and need to be destroyed because they were eating my tomatoes and peppers in the greenhouse. We respectfully declined to sign the petition stating our reasons. We have yet to hear a response.

I dislike confrontations but wanted to sleep and did not feel I was out of line to ask that the volume be lowered. It seems like some people are "the entitled" and do whatever they want without regard for others.

I am really anxious to find out the rest of the story. I am sure that you and your wife handled it with grace and finesse.

I'm late to this one, but I like what Wandering Sagebrush is saying on this. So 2x on this. You have no excuse except one for someone moving into your occupied camp space without your consent and that would be a natural disaster was taking place. So off to the host, as a matter of fact, these nuts should have found the host/local LEO for help when they could not find a place to camp, because most CG's have overflow areas for that emergency camping situation! But again these people probably never learned or cared about good camping rules and the such!

Smoke

Smoke

I've never had anything like this happen but I also don't generally stay in campgrounds when they are busy. I try to avoid crowded state campgrounds altogether is is why I try to go in the off season and avoid holidays also. I would of told them to leave as they really have no excuse or business being there in the first place. The audacity of it would have probably caused me to be not all that nice about it either. On the other hand, being an early riser, firing up the old diesel when it's 24deg and turning the idle up to 1200rpms would have certainly been a sweet payback. ;) But I doubt I would have thought about in the moment.

Back
Top Bottom