Another Death in Death Valley

May she RIP. I wonder if she was following her GPS? One time just for fun I hit the "shortest route" icon on a trip to DV just to see what it would say. It suggested a dirt road that took off into the desert near Ridgecrest, yeah right. I took the paved road in.

Mr. Sun, thanks for posting. This is really sad. Her vehicle gets stuck on the berm while turning around. She leaves her car, walking away from the road, and makes it 5 miles. The high temp was 113° that day. Why was she in the area? What were her travel plans? Why did she leave her vehicle? Why did she choose the direction she headed? What was found with her body? What did she have with her or in her car for food and water?

So many years of working on incidents, I can't break the habit of asking the questions and sleuthing out details and information.

Bottom line, another very sad story.

Mr. Sun, thanks for posting. This is really sad. Her vehicle gets stuck on the berm while turning around. She leaves her car, walking away from the road, and makes it 5 miles. The high temp was 113° that day. Why was she in the area? What were her travel plans? Why did she leave her vehicle? Why did she choose the direction she headed? What was found with her body? What did she have with her or in her car for food and water?

So many years of working on incidents, I can't break the habit of asking the questions and sleuthing out details and information.

Bottom line, another very sad story.

It is a sad incident but why do people not realize it's called Death Valley for a very good reason.......

I'm sure theres a brochure they have, what to do if your breaks down, gets stuck, but she apparently didn't read it. Hard to say for sure but I think theres a good chance, given when the rescue started, if she'd stayed with the car she'd have survived.

Other guesses, little water, following a gps. Found with her body, a dead cell phone. Its also possible she didn't speak english.

[quote name="simimike" post="150944" timestamp="1472683871 I wonder if she was following her GPS?.[/quote]

She was trying to get from Vegas to Fort Irwin so it appears that is exactly what happened. And then broke all of the basic rules, thus eliminating any hope of rescue.

I live in a small neighborhood right up against the Forrest and when the main highway is closed due to an accident etc it's common for GPS to reroute people through the Forrest roads. Last winter during a snow storm I ran across a n 18 wheeler stuck on the steep/narrow road heading out there. It's good that he got stuck where he did because much farther and it would have taken more than a tug from a plow truck to get him out.

In DV especially, I'd have to be damn sure they were no longer looking for me before I set off on foot. Of course thats much easier to say when you have a camper to hang out in, plenty of food and water.

I'm also betting very very few of these people in cars have any comms other than a cell phone. Embarrassing as it might be I can always push the "rescue me" button if it comes to it.

craig333 said:
I'm also betting very very few of these people in cars have any comms other than a cell phone. Embarrassing as it might be I can always push the "rescue me" button if it comes to it.
Because DVNP is one of the few places where I couldn't reach any amateur radio repeaters or cell service, I acquired an InReach Explorer after the trip. Now pushing SOS is available if needed as long as enough sky is visible.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom