Another dinette version

nixfwc

This is my latest version of a dinette in my old Fleet. This began when I decided to replace the original 10 gal water tank with a 20 gal tank under a bench seat at the front of the camper. I did this because the water heater and shower I retrofitted were using up the water too quickly. At this point I also decided the walls were too dark so I fauxed the walls to give it a lighter feel. Helped allot. Then installed a digital thermostat by the bed. An easy improvement. The dinette table still needs some work. The original particle board material is too dense and heavy for one leg support. I am going to try it with a piece of baltic birch plywood. I redid all the cabinets ( second time worked out better) in oak plywood and put in fold down doors rather than sliders. The rear seat of the dinette is made so the back rest folds down to provide rearward vision and to allow the dinette seats to become a small bed. There is adequate storage under the seat. Went for a trial run last weekend into the Smoke Creek desert area in Nevada and it all seems to work great. It was just my dog and I; we will see how it goes on my next trip with my wife who is more particular than me. Next project is to install a fold down table on the side of the camper ( aluminum I hope) and a fairing for the front of the camper to improve the air flow and mileage.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 538
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 542
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 498
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 476
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 469
one more pic

Oops could not upload this last photo. Thanks for looking and your comments.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 529
Ah! Looks great!

How does the solo seat work? Can you describe and/or show pictures of the mechanism?

Thanks,
SB

works fine

Here is a photo of the solo seat. So far it works great. It has two hinges on the back rest support and folds down into the storage area when not in use. Supplies adequate support for the back rest and gets out of the way to use the seat flat and to improve rear vision. Very simple mechanism. We will see how it does over time.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 471
Nice job. I've still got it stuck in my head to try and preserve the bed function down below as I rework mine but if down the road I don't see the need I think something like this has a lot of potential.

support?

So do the cushions have a solid support incorporated in them? Cuz that little flap doesn't seem like enough to hold most people up.

I love the fabric chosen for the upholstery. Awesome.

My dog does love the forward cushion, thick, comfortable and can keep tabs on me. A mixed blessing as he also loves to roll in all sorts of things you would not want to have in your camper, much less on your new dinette seat. But what the hell, I like to travel with my pooch.

Cushions don't have any extra support in them. The backrest supports me without any problems and I weigh 150 pounds. ---- No weight, that was when I was 50-- now I am 185 and 63. Damn. Just can't seem to get back to that weight. Oh well, the back rest holds me up, at least for now.

I like this dinette a lot. It gives me some ideas.

I agree! I'm not done with mine yet... Maybe if time allows...?

Nice job!

I like it. I really want one of these for my Grandby, but haven't had the time, or nerve, to tear into it yet.

How do you like not having a back rest on the forward seat?

nix,

Very nice work, the extra space in the longer campers really allows a proper dinette layout. FWC sent me a custom sized table at a reasonable cost when I was finishing our dinette and now they use a light weight plywood under the formica. You might consider calling to see what Chicali in the service department can do for you. Keep us posted.

How do you like not having a back rest on the forward seat?

I can answer this one: our set up is similar. We put a cushion -- or pillow(s) -- there and have a vertical back rest. Works great.

Looks very good. A constant theme I keep seeing when people are making their own solutions is that they attempt to make it so that the two seats face each other, instead of the big long seat that faces one direction. That was my biggest reason for buying a Eagle shell....to create my own seating arrangement.

Nix: Looks good to me. I'm interested to see what you come up with for a fairing. I'm looking to do one myself.

Back
Top Bottom