Another Noob Question...Jacks

eyemgh

The Raven we are buying doesn't have jacks. It's never been off the truck, nor will it likely be. That said, there may come a time when we need to take it off, for whatever reason. Are the jacks FWC specific or will any set of camper jacks work? And...HOLY SMOKES, jacks can be expensive. :oops:

I use two, but I'm thinking of getting a third and using it at the back of the camper. I think the tripod would be really stable.

If you get the 2 at the COG, it's not too bad. The only way it could really fall is if you hit it with the truck more than lightly, or if you forgot to unplug a cable or something. I try to have someone spotting when moving the truck and moving the truck as slowly as possible. When I had a shop with floor space, I would move the truck by hand by rolling a tire, it was easy to watch what was happening.

Today I bodged together some jacks, using 4x4 posts. The rear ones just bolt in. The fronts have steel plates bolted to camper and 4x4. Oh wait, the truck is also 4x4! Yuk yuk. Seriously though, I jacked up one side of the truck, bolted on the camper brackets that side, the repeated the other side. Dropped the truck and the camper was in the air.

Inspected the Tacoma bed bolts and 4WC straps, had to tighten a little, reinstall camper with four new turnbuckles. One had bent and wasn’t holding the camper any more. No wonder it was rocking and rolling back there the last trip!

Back
Top Bottom