Another Report On Colorado Rally

Kokopelli

Well the stories have been told. Here's a few more photos and tales for those who missed out.

Took the long drive to Eureka from Durango and arrived at dusk on Friday night. Found a spot to settle in and woke up early Sat am to these nice views:

gallery_370_109_44733.jpg

Note Barko's tent next to his camper. This will come into play later.

gallery_370_109_63052.jpg

These three kept guard on the entry way so the rest of us could rest easy.

Headed up the mountains with the troops

gallery_370_109_1551.jpg

To the roundup at the summit.

gallery_370_109_53802.jpg

We put on our coats in the high cold altitude and played with the local wildlife.

gallery_370_109_24657.jpg

And looked into the valley towards Lake City where we would decend.

gallery_370_109_7078.jpg

We headed down the pass towards Lake City

gallery_370_109_71217.jpg

To the tight switchbacks getting dizzy and trying not to fall off the road.

gallery_370_109_45774.jpg

We had to pull to the side at times to let others pass

gallery_370_109_19627.jpg

But made our way to the intersection with American Basin

gallery_370_109_48806.jpg

Which was rocky and slow with some easy stream crossings

gallery_370_109_50485.jpg

After stretching our legs in American Basin, we headed down towards Lake City

gallery_370_109_59538.jpg

Looking back up towards Cinnamin Pass

gallery_370_109_51104.jpg

We continued along shelf roads towards Lake City

gallery_370_109_59960.jpg

While the rest of the gang headed into Lake City, we took the 4 mile steep rocky and narrow side road up to the Ghost town of Carson

gallery_370_109_2065.jpg

gallery_370_109_55619.jpg

That even had an area for the livestock still standing

gallery_370_109_5811.jpg

Took the rough road a mile beyond the town up to the continental divide and site of the original town of Carson in the late 1800's (nothing left). Had a nice view of Carson (in the trees on the right) and into the valley below

gallery_370_109_14944.jpg

Back to camp for dinner and a nice evening by the fire. And for the record, Captain Leisure makes a heck of a fire and got his scout stamp for fire building!

That night we had a nasty storm with thunder, lightning, hail, and wind buffeting the campers from all directions. Got up early the next moring to assess the damage. Saw snow on the hilltops, and Barko looking for his tent (remember it was there in the first photo). The storm sucked it up into space and it was no where to be found.

gallery_370_109_48652.jpg

KC was the first to leave, but came back about 10 minute later to inform Barko his tent was a mile or so down the road by the river. The rest of the group slowly headed out and we took our time having a leisurely breakfast and letting things dry out.

gallery_370_109_29886.jpg

We slowly packed up and headed home, having enjoyed the weekend and excited to have met so many of the great folks from this group that were able to show up. Looking forward to the next rally!

Outstanding photos and story. I think I can honestly say that are WTW gatherings just get better and better because of the great folks that share the same zest for adventure.

Cheers

Nice photos and write up. Will have to work on organizing one of these WTW meetings. just sounds like so much fun!

dave

It was great to meet you guys!

Reminder: you said that anytime I'm in Durango and I need a place to stay....... well I just about got the Uhaul all packed up so make room in the driveway!

Reminder: you said that anytime I'm in Durango and I need a place to stay....... well I just about got the Uhaul all packed up so make room in the driveway!

I did tell you we live in the camper on a different street each night didn't I? Seriously, you've got a bed and hot shower anytime you want. Great to meet you and thanks for coming out to play in our "backyard".

Great shots Kokopelli, and bonus points for running up to Carson solo.

Nice to meet you on your home turf, I hope our paths will cross again sometime!

Back
Top Bottom