Any Black Friday deals on D500 ?

smlobx

Lost again
I have decided to upgrade to the Nikon D500 and was wondering if any has heard of any Black Friday deals?
I'm probably going to pick up a lens or two but haven't decided on which ones yet.

Thanks!

I haven’t heard of sanything yet, but I’d start looking at sites like B&H, Adorama, etc.. My local shop is selling at 15% off, and I suspect if you ordered through them, you would be tax exempt.

What general uses/focal ranges are you thinking off?

You will love the D500.

Lenses really do depend on what you want to shoot :)

I have the new 80-400 and the new 200-500. For wildlife and sports they are both great but that 200-500 is a deal at the price.

I also have the 24-120 F4 which I find to be a fine wide to small tele without busting the wallet over an F2.8.

I have the original 70-200 2.8 which I purchased used and it has been good. I hear the new one is excellent with a price to match..... that one you need to get on sale.

I also have a used 500 F4 prime which is the birding lens (though the new 200-500 competes well with it)

I've been doing this a while so really not that bad. My thought on lenses (and it may differ from others) is to buy Full frame when possible so if you do decide to get a FX body (I have the D810) you do not have to repurchase any lenses. YMMV

Lots of great photogs here so you will have good advice to sort through :)

Good luck with whatever you get and looking forward to seeing your pics :)

I definitely agree about buying lenses that are designed for full frame. You can use them on Fx bodies if you upgrade or rent. If you want an ultra wide for landscape, the Tokina 11-16/2.8 Dx is an affordable and good quality lens.

Others that would be good selections are: 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8. Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron and Tokina(?) have lenses in these ranges. I prefer Nikkor, but the others are good as well.

Canon man here.
Good glass rules. I'm still using a Sigma WA lens I bought 15 years ago for interiors.
But most of my glass is Canon 16-35/4, 24-105, 70-200/2.8, 100-400II.

Been fishing around for an upgrade to the 6D. Mine is approaching 100k actuations,
and I'm looking for another FF alternative. 5d3 is good pricing, but half a pound heavier :(
5Ds is very cool, but 50MP files?? and a grand more even in the used market :oops:

Lighthawk said:
Canon man here.
Good glass rules. I'm still using a Sigma WA lens I bought 15 years ago for interiors.
But most of my glass is Canon 16-35/4, 24-105, 70-200/2.8, 100-400II.

Been fishing around for an upgrade to the 6D. Mine is approaching 100k actuations,
and I'm looking for another FF alternative. 5d3 is good pricing, but half a pound heavier :(
5Ds is very cool, but 50MP files?? and a grand more even in the used market :oops:
Canon for me too. I love my 5D3 coupled with Zeiss 21mm ZE 2.8 but that combo is almost 4 lbs. Can't believe I used to backpack with an F1/20mm back in the day. I-phone works just fine now as I've become a gram weanie. The 5D is pretty much for road trips and family gatherings. BTW, I enjoy your kayaking pix!!

Agreed on the battery. I was a little surprised by that. I use only Nikon batteries but I know some who have had success with others......

Thanks everyone!
I already have a couple of Nikon lenses but want to add the 200-500 to my inventory. If anyone else is considering this lens the best offer I've found is here:

http://www.abesofmaine.com/Nikon_AF-S_NIKKOR_200-500mm_f_5_6E_ED_VR_Lens_1028991.html

That is going to be primarily for animal close ups on an upcoming trip to Botswana (don't want to get too close to those lions & leopards!)

Happyjax that is about the best price I've seen so far and hopefully I'll have time to check on the battery issue before I go.

I bought an excellent book on the D500 by David Busch so hopefully I can begin to take advantage of its features...

From Nikon Rumors...

Subscribing to my grandmother's wise saying, "if you can't say anything good, say nothin' at all"....
So I'm not saying anything about Abe's of Maine.

I really like B&H. Most everything is in stock and 2 day shipping. Great folks to visit in NYC and super customer service on the phone.

Thanks to Bill and others I ordered my gear from Andorama and should have it any day..
An early birthday and Christmas present!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Details... Which lenses? I assume you went with a D500...?
Yep!
Picked up the D500 and will mate it with the 16-80 AF-S DX VR as it's walking around lens.

I also picked up the AF-d 200-500 VR lens for our upcoming trip to Africa. I must say that this lens is larger than I anticipated but I will be taking along a tripod.

Eddie, consider taking a good bean bag too. Fill it with beans or rice in Africa, then give the beans/rice to a local when you leave. Sounds like good choices on the lenses.

smlobx said:
Yep!
Picked up the D500 and will mate it with the 16-80 AF-S DX VR as it's walking around lens.

I also picked up the AF-d 200-500 VR lens for our upcoming trip to Africa. I must say that this lens is larger than I anticipated but I will be taking along a tripod.
That's a big dog lens, eh? I found my tripod opportunities in Africa to be limited. Sometimes a monopod was quicker and useful from inside the safari vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom