Any interest in old USGS Maps?

100acrehuphalump

In a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia
I've recently come across a source of older maps made by the USGS. Many are in good to excellent condition. There are states quadrangle maps mostly from the eastern USA and some central states. Many National Park and National Forest maps. Hydronic Maps, Earthquake and Seismic Zone maps, Nautical Charts and Satilite imagery of whole states. Some of the maps are quite large up to 4 X 6'. Here is a list of some of the maps I found picking through the cabinets and map cases. There are more there and I just wanted to see if there was interest. Some are very reasonably priced. Last year I found a 4x6' map of the Grand Canyon. Some of them are in rolls and some are folded. Here are some of what I have located. I can inventory the list later as there are way many more than I have currently. He told me these maps aren't printed anymore in that they're on 100% rag paper and offset printed? Most of the dates are from the 1960's - 1970's.

I've been able to post pictures over at http://americanadven...older-USGS-Maps

I've decided to sell them for $25 each, or if you want two or more, then I will pass them on to you for $20 each, except for the Grand Canyon and one or two of the others. Or, make me an offer. That will basically cover my cost of the map, my time driving over there, digging through the unorganized drawers, filing cabinets, etc. and driving back, taking pictures measurements, posting, etc. Plus it keeps the cost relatively low for the people here whom share my same appreciation for overlanding. Folded maps S&H will be cheaper for me as I can put them in a padded Manila envelope, so I won't charge for shipping on single order folded maps. Rolled maps will require a shipping tube so the cost will be a little higher. I don't have or do Paypal so a postal money order would be fine. Send me a PM for my address. My shipping area is 28701.

There aren't a whole lot of these left, and some only one, Olympic NP and Big Bend NP have about 8-10 more available. I'm keeping a few for my own enjoyment and to share with friends and family, but the few extra I have and the few more left over at the storage place are all that is left from this source.
Thanks, Dan

Forgot to mention that there are lots of geology maps too and many copies of the others. Apparently they used to have a cartography business, and now just want to clear out storage. I'm having a slow time downloading photos so here's a basic list so far.

Badlands NM and Vicinity scale 1:62 500 date 1960 paid $20

Mt Rainier NP Wash scale 1-50-000 1971 topo map 3x2' folded map

Arches NP Utah SCALE 1 50 500 date 1974

Petrified Forest scale 1-50-000 1988 3.5x2' folded map

North Cascades 1-100-000 1974 mint cond and unfolded in original plastic bag 39" X 39" folded map

Mt Rushmore Quadrangle with Custer State Park in middle 1-100-000 1977 folded map

Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP's and Vicinity Calif 1:125000 1996 28 X 40" folded map

Rocky Mountain NP Colo. 1-62-500 1961 28"X38" rolled map

Crater Lake NP and Vicinity 1-62-500 1988 2' x 3' folded map

Olympic NP and Vicinity 1-100-000 1987 54.5" X 37" folded map

Another type of Arches NP map same size as the other. But with contour lines and topographic imagery.
There are a couple of Lassen Volcanic NP maps of both types 1957

Bryce Canyon NP BIG MAP

A rolled version of Crater Lake NP different from the 1 already listed

A decade comparative map showing the receding Grinell Glacier up at Logan's Pass Glacier NP 1950-1960 in topo form

Yosemite Valley showing contour lines and land imagery cool maps with geologic history on backside.

a 4' X 4.5' topo map of Mesa Verde NP

Death Valley NM 1977 2' X 3'3" topo

Hydrologic Unit Map state of North Carolina shows all water ways.

Two huge satellite image photos showing entire state of Colorado in both grey and earth tone elevation and contour (without the lines) format there are some like that of Alaska too.

Geologic map of Glacier NP

I have more stashed somewhere and I gave my buddies in Colorado a bunch to hang in their hangar.
There are more but I need a break...I'm starting to Carp or is that Flounder?

That may be a lot of photos to upload. Maybe use a flickr account or other photo hosting?

Those sound like some interesting maps. I wonder what the shipping expense with packaging would be?
(And here I am trying to digitize all the important documents in my personal and business world!)

This is not a hi jack- just a comment on maps. Old maps-I love old maps and are great for boon docking, back ground research for all sorts of things, like real estate and land problems, historic, wildlife and vegetative land use-and just great to play with. I have used them as a basis for several historic and military papers I've done over the years! BUT-they do not represent what is out there today-not just the cultural and vegetative landscapes but sometimes the physical landscape too-but you always need to have up to dated maps of the area before you head out to play. Why do I bring this up? I've ran into to many lost people wondering around out there with the wrong map for the wrong time! As most of us know it's easy to get lost with the wrong era or even right era map! Hmmmm, maybe we need a thread on this? Map reading 101, well back to talking about old historic maps.

Smoke

Good point smoke. While I haven't got lost with old maps I have found roads that no longer exist, gates that didn't used to be there, road closures or restrictions all stuff a current map should have.

It is fascinating to compare old and new maps and see just whats changed over the years.

Smokecreek1 said:
This is not a hi jack- just a comment on maps. Old maps-I love old maps and are great for boon docking, back ground research for all sorts of things, like real estate and land problems, historic, wildlife and vegetative land use-and just great to play with. I have used them as a basis for several historic and military papers I've done over the years! BUT-they do not represent what is out there today-not just the cultural and vegetative landscapes but sometimes the physical landscape too-but you always need to have up to dated maps of the area before you head out to play. Why do I bring this up? I've ran into to many lost people wondering around out there with the wrong map for the wrong time! As most of us know it's easy to get lost with the wrong era or even right era map! Hmmmm, maybe we need a thread on this? Map reading 101, well back to talking about old historic maps.

Smoke
Most of the USGS maps I've come across have typically been dated in the 70's or '80's. Even most I find at the local outfitters stores. I don't believe the USGS updates them very often. I do buy a new Delorme or Benchmark Recreation Atlas every other year for the states I plan on visiting or because they fell apart from so much use and road abuse.

I run into problems with even the most modern maps such as Green Trails maps that have been revised within the last 6 years.

Back
Top Bottom