ANY PLANS FOR A RALLY 2015/SUGGESTIONS

I have not heard of any plans. We would be hard pressed to find a lake with water or a river flowing later this year. Several people mentioned the coast as a next location. I don't know of any boondock locations on the coast, especially large enough for multiple rigs. I did look into group sites at established parks but they either were walk in or had just a small area for parking and are set up for tenters.
Westport Union is first come/first served. We have had some quiet weekends there and some crowded ones, so hard to predict. Not a lot of opportunities for other activities there either.

Not to early to start looking for a spot. Coast or Sierra are both good but will be a dry camp in CA this year.

This might be a good place for WTW members to put up suggestions.

There are a few campgrounds along the north coast, north of Orick, CA. Google Gold Bluffs Beach Campground-California State Parks. This campground, Gold Bluffs is on a "first" come, first serve basis. About 25 sites, no hookups, right on the beach, afternoon sun...$35.00/campsite. A few miles to the north lies Elk Prairie Campground (reservations required) which is part of Prairie Creek State Park. These campsites for most part within the Redwood trees. Further north are Mill Creek and Jedediah Campgrounds...

We stayed at Mill Creek on a trip last year.Don't think anything up in
that area would have enough open sites.
The area fills up so fast.
There is Navarro river beach cg. Camp right on the beach.
Ted and Ski camped at a SP beach south of there a couple years ago.
Can't remember the name.

Frank

The main problem of camping at most state CG's is the cost $25-35 or more a night & especially if you reserve or use the the group use area it's even more and you never really know how many people might be there at any one time. I've stayed allot at Westport-Union State CG at Rockport (the three different CG's are sometimes open and when it's empty I'll grin and bear it and pay the $23.00 fee, because it is a neat place but take a look at what happened to me the last time I was there in my latest gallery post.s Another thought is to revisit the King Range are and the BLM CG's like Matole Beach, and the state CG(that costs $) at Ursal (no water) because you can stay on the beach for free! Me thinks we get the best bang for the buck or no buck at most back country BLM,FS or FWS campgrounds! Yep it's never to early to throw out places!

Smoke

I agree with you smoke....especially on the coast, the camping fees are ridiculously high. I think 35 bucks for just camping is way too much. Perhaps, camping fees, etc. would make good discussion/conversation sitting around a campfire sipping on good whiskey. I like Bill's suggestion, the Sierra's as a rendezvous....more choices, BLM and National Forest land, more geographically friendly for most everyone interested in attending and warmer too. Yes, it will be dry and hopefully off the beaten path, but then we have the campers that are build for such adventures. Just my 2 cents.

Also, FYI if you don't already know, those of us who are 62+ y/o may apply for a free lifelong entrance pass to all National Parks, State Parks (depending on state), USFS discounts (depending where you are), etc....The one time cost for this pass is $10-20. You can apply at any NP, USFS Headquarters or on line.

Some BLM or USFS dispersed (non-campground) area seems like the only sure-thing when it comes to availability for a group of 10+ rigs. East of the Sierras or north of the Sierras -- e.g., NW Nevada, SE Oregon...

Post Labor Day is always my favorite time, for weather and fewer crowds.

I'm fairly new to WtW and don't know how many vehicles these events usually attract, but the two group sites at Green Creek near Bridgeport, are adjacent to each other and would probably accomodate 20 vehicles. (The Toyiabe Forest website says 25 to 50 people for $75/night)

A beautiful area with good hiking, trout fishing, and jeep roads into little-travelled areas to explore.

Basin Deranged said:
I'm fairly new to WtW and don't know how many vehicles these events usually attract, but the two group sites at Green Creek near Bridgeport, are adjacent to each other and would probably accomodate 20 vehicles. (The Toyiabe Forest website says 25 to 50 people for $75/night)

A beautiful area with good hiking, trout fishing, and jeep roads into little-travelled areas to explore.
That's a beautiful area and the group sites sound big enough to accommodate the likely size of a WTW rally.
I wonder why this spot hasn't been suggested before? Or has it...?

I want to say 2010? I can't find any pics. It was a relatively small gathering. We got to see the first XP prototype. Thats where I got my moniker Mr. Mumbles. We camped by the creek just over the bridge. That spot is probably too small now. Might be better to get the group camp if we were to go back. It is a good spot. Lots of stuff nearby to explore. Places to hike.

I have considered the Green Creek area. Was not aware of the group camp there. Typically group camps have a parking lot so all vehicles are crowded together. Some people find that a little too close. Maybe there is room to spread out here? Will try to check it out next time we are in on 395.

I looked at the Green Creek information and only see one problem. Group camp shows closed now opening on May 15 and closing after Sept 7th (Labor Day). The last Rally was Oct 11th. I had a great time at Meadow Lake.

Those early close dates seem to be the norm on the east side NFs.
It gets frustration to drive Ebbetts pass only to have the campgrounds east of the summit closed while west of the summit they close much later.
Has anybody checked out Hermit Valley CG it's dispersed with vault toilets,no water and I think it's free.
Plenty of room.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom