Anybody pack "heat". . .

tnscoots

Advanced Member
Hey folks,

Since I haven't read anything on this topic here I wanted to find out if it's customary to carry "protection" when one is on the road or in back country. I will soon be heading west for about 3 months of wandering and photographing and with the number of creeps I'll surely encounter I feel certain that I should (despite my wife's protests) carry a piece to protect both myself and my equipment; not to mention my new truck and restored Ranger. I realize this is a contentious issue for some (and in the past, for me too) but under the circumstances I've shifted my thinking particularly since I won't always be in campgrounds, etc. Of course the deterrent factor is what I'm most interested in and I'd hate like hell to actually fire it, but I would most certainly if needed. Anybody care to comment?
Cheers,
Tom

Actually, there's been lots of "discussion" (mostly spewing of personal opinions...), most-recently here, on a closely-related topic that included discussion of the absolute-necessity and/or sillyness of carrying firearms.
Hate to see another rant-thread on this topic.
rolleyes.gif

Ideally, you could post your question in that existing topic/thread.

Of course it is proper to ask.... thats the 1st amendment.
And yes I do....that would be the 2nd amendment.

I have been wandering the west for many years though and have never run into any of the "creeps".
Being an old boy scout, I follow the motto "be prepared".

Being prepared should also apply to yourself:
What kind of training do you have?
CCL permit?
Military background? Combat?
Hunter safety training?

The decision to carry should not be taken lightly and if you do get training.

Hi rotti - I do have military training from a hundred years ago and even further back hunting too. I will do the CCL course before I depart. Creeps was a general term for low-life's who try to steal stuff, if not harm too; and like you I never encounter them, or rarely, but I want to be ready for the first.
Tom

Of course it is proper to ask.... thats the 1st amendment.
And yes I do....that would be the 2nd amendment.

I have been wandering the west for many years though and have never run into any of the "creeps".
Being an old boy scout, I follow the motto "be prepared".

Being prepared should also apply to yourself:
What kind of training do you have?
CCL permit?
Military background? Combat?
Hunter safety training?

The decision to carry should not be taken lightly and if you do get training.

Hi BC - guess I never saw those threads even though I read everything, or so I thought. Heaven forbid should I have stirred a tired old pot yet again.
Tom

Actually, there's been lots of "discussion" (mostly spewing of personal opinions...), most-recently here, on a closely-related topic that included discussion of the absolute-necessity and/or sillyness of carrying firearms.
Hate to see another rant-thread on this topic.
rolleyes.gif

Ideally, you could post your question in that existing topic/thread.

Tom, I would highly recommend the CCL classes.
Especially valuable is the legal ramifications of using deadly force.

Three months of wandering? Must be nice :D

I think it would be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the firearm laws of any state you'll be visiting. Also don't plan on crossing the border with our amigos to the south if you're carrying any weapons or ammunition.

I've roamed a good part of the outback US all my life (I'm now 68), and a good part of it as far "outback" as I could get, often the only people I meet are when I stop for supplies. Never had any problems with people (if you don't count the loud ones, generator ones, trash dumping land damaging ones and such like that I try to avoid.) For the most part the "bad Folk" are city folk, the pickings are greater for them there.

I'm a retired field biologist and even after retirement continue that activity as a volunteer. That takes me to places most here would not go, basically anywhere I can get to even the not particularily attractive places. And since one of the primary targets of my surveys over the last ten years have been reptiles and amphibians I do a lot of that survey work through the night as well as day. Since 9/11 I've been more likely to meet landowners than I used to (I don't knowingly trespass) and all have been perfectly civil if not a little mystified why someone would want to hold a big parabolic mic beside the road to record frogcalls or cart cameras to photograph tiny animals or such. The law that I've met out there have been interested in the work sometimes to the point of being hard to shoo away, more worried I might meet somebody bad than anything else and so on. Most rural law are outdoors people themselves. And yes, I have seen drug activity but never been bothered by it. May help that I'm not in a big growing area now, though I used to roam the back country of California, which I understand can be problematic.

As far as actual carry, how many of the folks here who are carrying have actually needed to be carrying for any kind of human interaction? Or is it just paranoia, modern propaganda and active imagination? Note I don't kill snakes or other wildlife, but in my younger years I did hunt, still have the weapons for such and know how to use them. My military experience was the Vietnam war. I almost never carry out in the wilds, don't see the need. Though in bear country or such I might see the need. I shoot with cameras, that's tougher to do with wildlife, getting photographically good "shots". And I record audio, even tougher to do with the ever increasing man made noise. And landscape photography also suffers from all the torn up land, I always try and travel lightly leaving little evidence I was there, but I feel to be in the minority in that.

Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70 for me - Just be sure that some else does not get their hands on your heat and use it on you or someone else!!!!!

I have certainly given this topic some thought. I am licensed to carry but when I run the possible situations through my head the odds of my coming out ahead don't seem too good. So instead I try to be careful about where I camp. I am tempted by the James Bond solution implemented in one of the old films of simply having the entire vehicle explode. But to do what is needed in open spaces I would really need to take out most of the county. So far I have not scraped together the cash for that kind of a weapon. Sorry to make light or such a serious topic but I think what is critical is that you know your own limitations. There are some for whom a weapon is a good option, but for most of us I think it is likely to do nothing or blow up in our faces.

I am pretty much with WaltK on this one. The deeper I am in the back country the less likely I am to run into "creeps". I haven't carried in the 40 years of backpacking all over the west, except for the occasional time when I am in Grizzly country and even then, technically you are not allowed to carry in National Parks. If I am carrying, it is usually because of being worried about animals, not humans. But then again I almost never camp in a campground. I would tend to be more worried there. And of course when I am backpacking, I try to shave every ounce. I think I would worry more about someone breaking into my vehicle and taking my guns. My dog is a pretty good deterrent. She goes with us everywhere.

Hell, with all this concern I might start thinking about locking the back door of the camper when we're inside overnight. :oops:

Hell, with all this concern I might start thinking about locking the back door of the camper when we're inside overnight. :oops:

Hilarious! I was kinda thinking the same thing. Probably about 1/2 the time I forget to lock my door as well! :cool:

Hilarious! I was kinda thinking the same thing. Probably about 1/2 the time I forget to lock my door as well! :cool:

Is that what the red lever does? Never checked it out.

Is that what the red lever does? Never checked it out.

When I do remember to do it, I always forget which lever you use to open it with! Can be a real problem if its dark and time for a night water! Again as I've said before, common sense, my dog, my bear spay and (yes) I do have my gun and if in bear county, I may even (sometimes) have it with me as a back up! Reminds me of an actual experience my LE Ranger had once, got reports from some concerned campers about guns firing out on the west side of the Smoke Creek Desert! So he headed out- with for once with not me in tow-with a rec planner. Drove around a blind corner in some canyon out there and into a outlaw biker rally, complete with AK-47's and other nice things going on. He had no time to stop, never saw their camp, and the only way they got out was a very understanding lady biker who took pity on them and led them back out. He said that it was the most hairy thing that ever happened to him and he was very lucky to come out of it in one piece!

Smoke

I am pretty much with WaltK on this one. The deeper I am in the back country the less likely I am to run into "creeps". I haven't carried in the 40 years of backpacking all over the west, except for the occasional time when I am in Grizzly country and even then, technically you are not allowed to carry in National Parks. If I am carrying, it is usually because of being worried about animals, not humans. But then again I almost never camp in a campground. I would tend to be more worried there. And of course when I am backpacking, I try to shave every ounce. I think I would worry more about someone breaking into my vehicle and taking my guns. My dog is a pretty good deterrent. She goes with us everywhere.

Theft is what insurance is for. While I'm careful no way I'm going to set guarding my stuff when I can be out enjoying what I came for. Carting a gun gets you into the mindset of guarding your stuff

I, too would be more worried if I used what passes for a "campground" these days. Those I consider "city" places and avoid. I'm very adept at vanishing from view in almost any part of the country, it's a deliberate practice on my part. My interests also mostly don't correspond with those of folks that might steal.

Yep, I'm well versed in the military and civilian types of self defense and don't need a gun to put a world of hurt on someone if needed. Such skills just get no use out in the outback with me. Don't have a dog along either. I do that strange thing of getting along with the rare folks I meet out there. Meeting new people out there is more than likely going to be a positive thing out there. Even if it's people who's lifestyle is not mine. A positive mindset and a friendly way is often your best way to go.

... technically you are not allowed to carry in National Parks. ...

This is no longer true. Be careful though, you can't shoot a gun in a national park and carry laws vary by state so how you carry is important.

Disclosure: I am an NRA instructor.

I second the notion that you should seek a qualified officer of the court to go over the legal ramifications of the use of force. Also, if you've never been exposed to guns (actually, I know you have but I'm trying to be complete in my response) then I can't urge enough that you should spend some time with someone that help you learn to safely handle guns. << super big pet peeve >>

The probability is high that you will not need it. You will see this in the replies that you get as you will get many (if not all) that tell you about their years of life without having a gun and not ever coming across a situation that called for a gun. I have had this conversation with many on many forums and I know of only one story from one person that I would say was a legitimate case where he needed a gun and it was in his house. For sure, some people who came across the situation that a gun would have been beneficial are no longer here to note it. Like I said, the probability is high that you will not need it.

- BUT - if you are ever in the situation that you need a gun then a gun will be your only hope.

Only you can weigh the pros and cons for you.

Oh, and if you are considering carrying a gun because you believe that you should to protect yourself against bipedal varmints for some place you are considering going, don't go there. Don't go places where you feel you must carry a gun for protection against people. The best survival strategy for a gun fight is "don't be there."

Study the laws of the states you will visit. The permit from your state may not be good in another. The definition of concealed may be different. Here in Colorado anyone that can legally have a gun can bury it in their underpants (concealed) and carry it all day like this while in their car but as soon as they step out to pump gas they must have a permit.

Back
Top Bottom