Anybody painted or plastidip their 4 wheel camper?

60toyetero

post up some pics if you have painted or plasti dip your 4wheel camper. I attempted a google search but nothing came up. i'm thinking about painting mine back after seeing a couple of pictures of a truck camper painted black matching their truck but still wondering what these would look like. I suck at photoshop. I need real pictures

IMG_4026_zps6y0zujcp2.jpg

I think you would turn the inside into an oven - that black would trap a lot of heat.

that is a good point but i am in Alaska now and for a while probably. these campers have tons of ventilation with the 4 windows and the fan. On my trip I was never hot at night but it was mostly on the colder side.. then again I never really slept out in the dessert in the middle on july. looks rad color matching though. I was also thinking yes black absorbs more heat from the sun but when sleeping, there would be no sun out so maybe it would be warmer during the day while i'm driving down the road but at nights it would not make any difference...? maybe any personal experience out there?

if it were me i would not paint it. black might look cool but the heat factor even in the winter will fry you, plus it will show any dust, dirt scratch etc. if you want to try it i would check out a shop that could do a wrap much less work and easy to remove. IMO.

If you did it with Plasti-derp you could at least peel it if you didn't like it.

Well.... I have had plasti dip on my rims for a long time and its very durable. its actually hard to chip or scratch plasti dip once is fully dried and like mentioned.. it peels off if you work really hard at it and get an edge started bu rubbing extremely hard.. I could not resist.. so i just did it.. the oven factor... i love the idea of the camper being warm in the winter! plenty of dark campers out there.. so i really don't think that is an issue.. we will see.. for now i'm loving it. I took the mounting brackets off and grindig the surface rust on the only steel in the camper. will mount them back painted tm

All this talk about heat. I painted mine dark. We will see. I'm really not that concerned. As if FWCs have AC and tons of insulation anyways... If it's the dead of summer in a desert, you wouldn't find me inside a FWC with a mirror coating on it. Turn the fan on, open windows, the temp will only be as good as it is outside anyways. I'm taking my dark FWC back to Burning Man in two weeks I'll let you know how it goes. Not to mention , if you're going to make an argument like this, shouldn't a darker color make for a thin walled, hardly insulated, pop up camper to be warmer during the winter and cold days/nights? Give some/lose some? Not to sound weird, but it's probably like wearing high heels. (Stay with me [emoji4]). Fashion vs function. Looks give me peace of mind. My real two cents comes in here, ha. I get in and out of different colored vehicles all day every day (valet parking), and have seriously tried to consider if there is ANY noticeable temperature difference in vehicles of different colors, black or white in particular, and there's no way you or I could tell. Maybe a thermometer would really tell the truth but I honestly think that it's negligible. The only thing that I've noticed to make a difference in comfort of vehicles sitting in the sun is TINTED WINDOWS.

nevadamerica said:
All this talk about heat. I painted mine dark. We will see. I'm really not that concerned. As if FWCs have AC and tons of insulation anyways... If it's the dead of summer in a desert, you wouldn't find me inside a FWC with a mirror coating on it. Turn the fan on, open windows, the temp will only be as good as it is outside anyways. I'm taking my dark FWC back to Burning Man in two weeks I'll let you know how it goes. Not to mention , if you're going to make an argument like this, shouldn't a darker color make for a thin walled, hardly insulated, pop up camper to be warmer during the winter and cold days/nights? Give some/lose some? Not to sound weird, but it's probably like wearing high heels. (Stay with me [emoji4]). Fashion vs function. Looks give me peace of mind. My real two cents comes in here, ha. I get in and out of different colored vehicles all day every day (valet parking), and have seriously tried to consider if there is ANY noticeable temperature difference in vehicles of different colors, black or white in particular, and there's no way you or I could tell. Maybe a thermometer would really tell the truth but I honestly think that it's negligible. The only thing that I've noticed to make a difference in comfort of vehicles sitting in the sun is TINTED WINDOWS.
Good point. and like i said.. it might be only warmer during the day. at night is not going to make a difference sense the sun is not out and that is about the only time I am inside.. warm winter days sounds awesome.

Actually a black roof will be much colder on a clear night due to radiation. That's how they made ice before refrigeration. A shallow pond with a black bottom will freeze on a clear night when the ambient air temperature is above freezing.

camelracer said:
Actually a black roof will be much colder on a clear night due to radiation. That's how they made ice before refrigeration. A shallow pond with a black bottom will freeze on a clear night when the ambient air temperature is above freezing.
How does this translate to a camper not covered in water and above ground level?

Ha, I've now been reading up a lot on this. Probably too much. I've decided the following: I won't be in a camper without AC when it's hot out. When it's cold at night, I'll turn the furnace on. Is this reasonable?

Sounds like someone took thermodynamics. A good heat absorber is a good heat radiator.

I vote for the furnace idea when it gets cold. Much harder to lose the heat without adding weight and lightening wallet.

Paul

hahahah this is totally out of control. I think it looks rad, and didn't we all buy these things to look bad ass while we overland anyways. beats a tent on the ground, and keeps the animals locked up outside... hot, cold, oh well... drink a cold bear or make a nice hot cup of chocolate, hit the rack and pass the heck out.

60toyetero said:
hahahah this is totally out of control. I think it looks rad, and didn't we all buy these things to look bad ass while we overland anyways. beats a tent on the ground, and keeps the animals locked up outside... hot, cold, oh well... drink a cold bear or make a nice hot cup of chocolate, hit the rack and pass the heck out.
you're missing the point. the point of forums is to release any road rage that is still stored up before you hit the rat race on monday! kidding of course. it does look sweet, no regrets painting mine.

Back
Top Bottom