Anyone changed out the water tank for a smaller one?

craig333

Riley's Human
I like having onboard water. Great for showers, doing the dishes etc, but I don't really need 20gallons. A ten gallon tank would be fine and that would gain me a lot of room where I need it. I could get the dc and solar chargers together and even have room for another battery. I could clean up a lot of wiring. I couldn't find a decent spot for the dc/dc charger without disassembling the cabinetry.

The only thing I ever wished about our tank was that it was bigger! However, the original FWC tank was 12 gallons, I think (although in a different spot). You might ask them. Otherwise there's no reason you couldn't adapt a generic tank. Don't blame me if you do it and are sorry . . .

As I get older and have the opportunity to stay longer in one place I may very well regret it.I'll check the build sheet. Maybe it isn't a 20 gal tank as I've always assumed.

At one time I wanted to put in a 10 gal water and a 10 gal grey-water so I would be allowed to camp on Cape Cod at the tip (Coast Guard station) But I found they said no as it had to be in the original build, no DYI. I have only needed 20 gallons once... on that few month Baja trip. Sometimes I only half fill it to save on weight.

What the heck? Do they actually check your build sheet? If not how would they know it DIY?

I am running 5 gallon nato water Jerry cans plumbed into my sink in my current build. Set up for two normally. Nice to know when I hit the halfway point in my water usage and swap the quick release hook up. I have a third if needed for longer trips. Easy to refill on the road and wash/sanitize as needed back at home.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom