Anyone done a Completely electric applience camper?

Addie

Advanced Member
Been less than a week since I bought my FWC- still not sure exactly which model or year it is, the serial plate is completely warn off. Based on where the Propane tank location(Drivers side near front)its an early 90's can't be older or it wouldn't fit my truck width.

Problem- I dont like propane- bad experiences growing up.

I know the refer can be replaced with 12v compressor- like the small one I have in the truck. BUT.. what about the stove.. and a furnace- Colorado Springs sits around 6,300ft and I go to about 8-11k ft to fish. Most times the camper is for road trips when we move daily. My truck is F250 PSD so its 24v with 12v to some locations.. Currently no house battery- but this planning is so I can get the correct set up from the get go..

Been less than a week since I bought my FWC- still not sure exactly which model or year it is, the serial plate is completely warn off. Based on where the Propane tank location(Drivers side near front)its an early 90's can't be older or it wouldn't fit my truck width.

Problem- I dont like propane- bad experiences growing up.

I know the refer can be replaced with 12v compressor- like the small one I have in the truck. BUT.. what about the stove.. and a furnace- Colorado Springs sits around 6,300ft and I go to about 8-11k ft to fish. Most times the camper is for road trips when we move daily. My truck is F250 PSD so its 24v with 12v to some locations.. Currently no house battery- but this planning is so I can get the correct set up from the get go..

Get counseling. Keep the propane. Learn about leak detection and CO detectors.

Be well.

Get counseling. Keep the propane. Learn about leak detection and CO detectors.

Be well.

Got CO detector, know how to use propane-just prefer not too.. and I travel with my 3 kids and 2 small dogs.. so anything I can do to make it safer for them, I will.. even if it means loosing the stove and adding a small microwave. I also am not sure how my bearded dragon would do with whatever fumes are released.

Sure they make all electrical heat, stove tops, etc. look at marine stuff. However you need an electrical source for these and since they will suck a lot of juice we're likely not talking a battery (unless you're carrying a LARGE battery bank). You'd probably either need to run them off your running alternator or a generator. Boats can get away with it because they usually have a steady power supply off the engines.

I know the refer can be replaced with 12v compressor- like the small one I have in the truck.

Make sure that is not a cheapo cooler/warmer thing, not the same. If it didn't cost $600 that is not the low draw unit you need.

BUT.. what about the stove.. and a furnace-

That would take a battery half the size of the camper! I had two RV batteries and that would barely power a low watt microwave for a short period of time.

I don't think anyone over the time of this forum have gassed themselves, of course they may not be talking. I like the Wave 3 heater, good at all elevations.

12v is really not practical for a stove. You could do a microwave if you keep the usage short. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with propane. Keep in mind though that millions use it all the time with no problems. Of course if you don't mind spending the big bucks, theres always diesel appliances.

12v is really not practical for a stove. You could do a microwave if you keep the usage short. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with propane. Keep in mind though that millions use it all the time with no problems. Of course if you don't mind spending the big bucks, theres always diesel appliances.

No big buck, and I know we use propane safely all the time.. was hoping to eliminate it, but looks like Im keeping it. We'll find out on the 17th if I have to replace any of the appliances- Having an RV shop go over them as the PO hadnt used the camper in well over a yr.

Yeah, your real two options are propane or diesel powered items. Since you already have a diesel truck, that makes that option easier as you can pull from the same tank. Downside is they are expensive and have their own drawbacks and issues.

Good luck on whatever you end up with.

My truck is F250 PSD so its 24v with 12v to some locations..

Actually nothing on your truck is 24V. The factory dual batteries in your truck are wired in parallel resulting in higher avaliable amperage while still operating at approx. 12 volts. Hate for you to buy something for a 24v system and be screwed....

As for the camper - stick with the propane stove it is really the only way to go.

Actually nothing on your truck is 24V. The factory dual batteries in your truck are wired in parallel resulting in higher avaliable amperage while still operating at approx. 12 volts. Hate for you to buy something for a 24v system and be screwed....

As for the camper - stick with the propane stove it is really the only way to go.

I usually buy nothing that isnt dual (or more) purpose, wasnt planning on buying anything 24v- I do know there is a warning about something being 24v or maybe that was if the batteries were connect wrong. As I look around the camper more. I see more stuff I wanna do before tackling (or while) the appliances.. all the interior needs redoing (I can see daylight out the R Front where the front wall meets the window shelf). I also think the Dinette Mod is gonna be one of the first- will be the best seating option for us.. normally 3 kids + me (3 kids on the front wall and me near the back- I will be sleeping in this area the kids get the cabover section(after some work on that also- and after I make a mattress). The area's I work will get solid insulation and new paneling. All of this will stay in planning til the front lift is replaced ;) And I get some camper jacks.

Back
Top Bottom