Anyone else with a Nissan Titan and camper?

srileo

All,
I am the happy owner of a 2008 Nissan Titan Pro4x. For the past 2 years, I've never seen another FWC camper on a Titan. It seems we are a rare and original breed of adventurers in a world full of white Fords and Dodgy dodges.
Calling out to other Titan owners so we can congratulate ourselves, and commiserate about our MPG and the rear differentials.

Photo of my baby on a recent trip to Hwy 50, Nevada
DSC_4000-M.jpg
:
IMAG1108-M.jpg

DSC_4019-M.jpg

You're not alone, srileo! Mpg is about 14 overall, and the rear differential is the stock SV 4x4 version; I've heard some of the early-2000s Titeys had issues with their diffs? No problems as yet for me. If you'd like to see pix of our TiteyWhitey-Grandby setup, have a look here: http://desertjann.wix.com/four-wheel-camper
Rico

Rico,
very very cool rig! I love how you chose the larger Grandby and it looks just fine on the Titan. I wish i'd been brave enough to think about it back when i ordered.

My 2008 Titan has been fine. I love it, but because i bought it from a dealer with no records of previous history, I am always a bit nervous about what might crop up.

This article actually lists all the known weakpoints of the Titan and gives a pretty good idea of how to deal with them.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/246577-refreshing-first-gen-nissan-titan.html

I love your trips. Looks like you have had great fun. Its interesting how you set up your bed in the shell on the ground floor. What do you do with the bedding space on top?

I wish I could have answered yes to the OP's question. But I no longer have my Titan.

I loved the truck but it was bought back under lemon law in late 2005. It was an early one with the small brakes. But also had another brake issue the dealers couldn't fix. A feature that didn't even come on them until mid-year the following model year? Go figure.

I bought it with the intention of adding a 4WC to it. It took me a while to find just what I wanted. The color was rare and I wanted an XE with the offroad package. But they finally found me one. Oh well I now have my 4WC and the current truck is almost ready for it.

I just checked that article on Titantalk. I was surprised to find my login still worked. Haven't been on there in years.

The loft (upper-tier bed area) is used to store our clothes in two side-by-side under-the-bed storage bags (e.g., Rubbermaid-Configurations-3-Handle-Low-Profile), one each for me and her, plus my guitar in a soft case laid flat, a roll-up table, and various other blankets and things; every square inch is spoken for. We find the lower center of gravity on the lower-tier to be better suited for our nighttime sleeping config.

Looking at putting a Raven or Hawk on my 2012 4x4 4 door SL. Can you guys elaborate on any suspension mods you've done to the Titan and how it works with the weight of the 4WC? Also, Hawk or Raven model?

Hellwig eventually offered me a prototype set of dual-leaf helpers that have been a big improvement over the original Hellwig EZ-990 single-leaf helpers I bought which lacked enough oomph to handle the load of our Grandby Shell + gear. At this point that's all we've done in 35,000 miles, although I'm considering upping to some Bilstein or Rancho shocks someday (if I'm feeling esp. rich that day).

T100,
I have only the Firestone Airbags and it is quite adequate to level the truck. I have it on fulltime, and for the cost of purchase and installing the airbags, i think i should have saved up for leafs likes RicoV did.
The truck pulls my Hawk like a beast. I never lack for power, that is for sure. The suspension... i am new to trucks and dont have a baseline really. But i think I want to change to Bilsteins soon. I feel every crack in the road. I'll do that mod and then think of a sway bar if needed.

Back
Top Bottom