Anyone had HOA issues with camper ON the truck?

pods8

Contributors
We're moving next month to CO and I've just signed a lease on a place with an HOA that has the classic campers need to be stored out of sight clause. Once I'm down to one camper that will be fine since I'll just dolly it into the garage as needed but while I'm still working to complete my build I was planning to hang onto my FWC. There won't be room in the garage to work on the other one with the FWC in there so I'd like to leave it on the truck the majority of the time. The landlord thinks the HOA won't have an issue with it on the truck and I know others here have had HOA's come to the same conclusion with our low profile campers, but has anyone had them still take issue with it one the truck and truck parked in driveway? I don't want to push the matter too hard since I'm working this remotely and I'll deal with the fallout as it comes. Just wondering of others experiences out there.

I live in a community governed by a HOA. One of the first things the welcoming group does is clear up the misinformation given to new owners by their realtor. More often than not the new members have been told that the association probably will not have a problem with whatever it is they want to do. I suggest you contact the Board of Directors and discuss your issue directly with them. You will need to do this eventually anyway. It might save you a big hassle and it could get the relationship off to a smooth start. Our HOA would allow you a grace period to deal with the disruption of moving.
Good luck and enjoy your new home.

Welcome pretty soon to Colorado....what part?

My experience with HOA is all over the scale. Some are run by nazis to the point of insanity.....like having to remove small hooks from the eves used for hanging xmas tree lights. Others have been mellow and reasonable, but where I am at now there are no restrictions unless it is on the street.

Maybe get in contact with the HOA and send an email with a picture. Oops, I see you signed a lease.
Camo netting?

Good luck, you will love CO.

I'll be outside Boulder (Gunbarrel). If there is an issue its not the end of the world, I'm just hanging onto my FWC out of convenience to have a functional camper since the build has dragged on so long. I HOPE that the shell should be wrapped by spring and with the move/young boys/family issues I don't know that the FWC is going to necessarily get a ton of use either way over the winter. But my preference is to hang onto it w/o external storage or trying to squish my work space in the garage (dunno yet if access to the backyard is reasonable or not). I'm planning to fly out in a couple weeks to pick up the keys and do a turnover walk through prior to our official move later in the month. My friend checked the place out for me so I'm limited in knowledge on it by google/pictures but its just a 12mo lease so if its not ideal I can live with it short term. I picked it for walking distance access to a work transfer to simplify life a bit.

I have a similar situation right now. Not with an HOA but the city of Goleta. They have just enacted a new parking ordinance that bans oversize vehicle parking and according to Ca state law my truck with the FWC is an oversize vehicle - too wide and too tall. I now have to sell my Jeep hauler to make room in the driveway for the truck.

So it goes in the land of the Prius.

I lived in a community in Parker, Colorado - called Stonegate. We had lived in the community for 15 years and I had served on the board and different committee's throughout those years.

When I had my Hawk - without jacks on it or anything - on my truck in the driveway, we were cited.

I had to put it in Bronco's Storage until I sold it.

HOA's in Colorado are regularly on the local news for their rights infringements.

And HOA's have NO legal power to BACK UP their rules.....so just ignore the bastards....or do what I did (not re the camper, but re another miniscule item they keyed on) and amass a HUGE list of things the HOA ITSELF is out of complinace on and simply tell them that when THEY are in compliance, you'll think about doing the same.

Haven't heard a word from 'em since. LOL. :LOL:

The last HOA we lived in, I managed to convince them that it was cargo and not an RV. The CCR's said boats and recreational trailers. It probably helped that I was driving the truck every day, and it didn't have that 'stored' look. Might not work for you if you are walking to work. Hope it works out for you.

-Vic

We shall see, I'll park it tight up to the house and see what happens. I've pulled the peeling paint/rusty jack brackets, stupid POS paint system from back in the day :cautious:, and took a wire wheel to them to strip them and currently have some rust convertor on them prior to repainting. Those brackets were basically an eyesore on an otherwise clean looking camper. I don't want to attract unneeded attention. :)

And HOA's have NO legal power to BACK UP their rules.....so just ignore the bastards....or do what I did (not re the camper, but re another miniscule item they keyed on) and amass a HUGE list of things the HOA ITSELF is out of complinace on and simply tell them that when THEY are in compliance, you'll think about doing the same.

Haven't heard a word from 'em since. LOL. :LOL:

I like that idea Mt High.I also live in an HOA area,but there are so many people just doing what they want the rules go by-by.In Calif if you park a vehicle on the street it has to be moved in 72 hours.Also it has to be registered.On my street there are 3 vehicles that don't comply and know one does anything about it.
Frank

An aside to this discussion - A friend moved into a neighborhood with a HOA. He discovered the board had made changes - stricter - to the associations by-laws but had not updated the by-laws on file with the county. He adheres to the by-laws the county has record of and the association and the board are busy trying to cover their, well you know, and clean up their mess. He says he will adhere to the standards he was made aware of when he bought his property. He had checked at the county first before buying. This is how he knew. Being informed is power.

Back
Top Bottom