Anyone installed Engel fridge into the camper?

cabezon23

I'm about to order a ATC/FWC in the next few weeks, one of the things I would like to have is an Engel (http://www.i-m-d.com/engel/Engel45main.htm) or ARB fridge installed instead of the regular one. Did anybody do that before? Is it possible as an option from one of the manufacturers?
I was thinking of installing the fridge on some sort of sliders on the floor in the area where the original fridge usually goes. The advantage of this would be that you could take the fridge out and take it to the beach.

Another modification I'd like would be to install a diesel stove like the Wallas 85DU (http://www.scanmarineusa.com/wallas_stoves.html). These stoves seem to be more or less the same size as the propane ones, but the optional blower lid with 6000 BTU would take up much less space then the standard furnace.
The advantage of these two modifications would be that I don't need a propane tank. Diesel trucks could use their fuel tank, gasoline trucks would still need an additional diesel tank, but I have to drive by the gas station every couple of days anyway.
So, what do you think? Would this work out? Did ATC or FWC do any modification to their campers before?

Cabezon23:

I have a Hawk shell and it was used, so no choice....But my brother has a Northstar with propane/ac/dc frig. sucks up energy like a hog. Not so good for dry camping in tough environs. Don't like to carry so much propane.

I have an ARB/Engel 45 and love it. I run it on DC and have it placed on the floor in the camper. This is for when I travel alone. I place it in the backseat of the truck in the middle when with others. That way I can open the window to the truck, and grab things from the fridge.

I made the mistake of not securing it on a trip to Hell's canyon. The 4x4 roads really tossed it around. Works fine, just made me nervous. You can of course get trays and sliding trays for this fridge and I would highly suggest doing so. Secure it well, as it can really move around.

When I get to any camp or lunch spot, I just stop, get out the food, eat. My brother takes a few minutes to level the truck before swtiching to propane. Any stop longer than about an hour, and he has to switch from DC to propane. I love that fridge.

For long trips or trips with a lot of people, i use the fridge as a freezer and keep frozen foods, ice, and cold packs in there. Rotate the cold packs with the regular 5day ice chest and don't have to stop for ice often. Ice is needed when in the hot desert....pretty rare here in Seattle.

I'd also get the case/cover. don't worry about the dings that way, supposedly adds insulation. Mine is on order. Do make sure you have enough battery to run this thing. My group 27 deep cycle can run it for about 3 days in normal western washington weather. But, if I run lights, toys, and the like, I am not sure I could get that much. Of course, if you are always on the move, you will be charging.

Now, about those solar panels......still debating as any extra power will prolong my dry camp days....

good luck

Dave

PS. Never figured out how I would install it in the camper permanent, so never built it in....if anyone figures this out do let us all know.

We also have the Engel 45. It was actually bought b4 we took delivery of the camper; Our ATC is a shell model and the Engel fits perfectly on the floor and the rest of the gear gets packed around it. I don't want it permanently mounted as it does double duty as the outside bar fridge at home. :D

I am considering swapping out my icebox for a 12V fridge also.

I have debated putting it in the backseat of the truck but I already store most of my gear there and occasionally I have to put my 3 year olds' car seat there too. So that's not my best option. Putting it on the floor of the camper and hauling it in and out doesn't sound like a lot of fun either.

In addition to Engel, ARB and Norcold another 12V manufacturer is Waeco. Unlike some others, Waeco offers a front loading 12V fridge with the Danfoss reciprocating compressor like the Engel, designed to run at any angle. I realize top loading fridges are more energy efficient, but this could be a simple swap for the ice box with minimal modifications to the camper.

Just something I am considering that might be of interest to others -

Power consumtion 12V fridge

Hi kcowyo,

I was also looking at the Waeco fridges and I assume that they might fit into the space of the ice box.

What I am concerned about is the power draw of these fridges. I have no idea how much they use or how long they would run from the battery.

My ideal camper would have a Wallas Diesel Stove and an electric fridge. This way I wouldn't need any propane tanks.
http://www.scanmarineusa.com/wallas_stoves.html

Maybe someone out there can help me calculate what battery or battery / solar panel combination I would need to run one of these Waeco fridges.

This is where the Waeco info is:
http://www.waecousa.com/page.aspx?p=RPD-110

The size of this fridge is 20.5”W x 29.12”H x 21.5”D

The size of the Ice Box opening is 22"W x 46"H x 21"D according to the sketches FWC has on their website.
http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/ranger2.html

So, in theory it should fit into the same opening. But maybe Ben or someone from FWC could confirm us the real inside dimensions of the opening.

There's a great fridge comparison in the summer 2007 issue of Overland Journal - which BTW I highly recommend subscribing to. For those of you that already have a built in ice box I believe that Norcold makes an upright compressor fridge that is a direct replacement. If I recall that is what the Wescots of Turtle Expedition fame used in the weekend warrior project. Their web site is www.turtleexpedition.com

Doug

Engel

I have an Engel 45 mounted in my Grandby on a shelf I built next to the counter.

See thread: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484

I think a 45 is just too big to "build in" unless someone custom makes their cabinets. I have the 45 attached to the shelf it sits on with turnbuckles and it
just got it's first real test with running around the washboard roads of Death Valley for several days. It survived the trip with flying colors.

I use it as a freezer rather than a fridge, and carry a 5-day cooler with non frozen foods. With the Engel in freezer mode..I can make Ice for the cooler.
A Great combination.

KC, do you remember which model Waeco this was? The link is bad and I'm stupid....

I am considering swapping out my icebox for a 12V fridge also.

I have debated putting it in the backseat of the truck but I already store most of my gear there and occasionally I have to put my 3 year olds' car seat there too. So that's not my best option. Putting it on the floor of the camper and hauling it in and out doesn't sound like a lot of fun either.

In addition to Engel, ARB and Norcold another 12V manufacturer is Waeco. Unlike some others, Waeco offers a front loading 12V fridge with the Danfoss reciprocating compressor like the Engel, designed to run at any angle. I realize top loading fridges are more energy efficient, but this could be a simple swap for the ice box with minimal modifications to the camper.

Just something I am considering that might be of interest to others -

Back
Top Bottom