anyone out there had a diesel and off'ed it?

HERR42

i think the only folks who question the benefit of a diesel are those who dont own one.

do we know someone who had a diesel and dumped it? (because it was a diesel)

i had a gasser and dumped it....primarily due to overheating. (chevy)

Im on my second diesle truck now, both Ford"s. One was a 1997 F250 4x4 with the 7.3 PSD bought with 100,000 on it and when I sold it it had 245,000 with no issues. With the Alaskan fully loaded I would get 17 mpg hwy. Present rig is 07 F350 4x4 with the 6.0 PSD. Just returned from a 1400 mi trip and averaged 15.0 fully loaded. I'm happy with the oil burners. :cool:

My previous two trucks were CTD's, an 01 and 05. I went back to a gasser. F150 cause the weight is much less for off roading and I don't have to worry about EGT's. Is it too hot? Has it cooled down enough to shut off? Carrying extra fuel filters. Water in the fuel will destroy a diesel and not covered by warranty.

Love my F150 gasser. Life is simpler!!!! :D

I perfectly happy with my Diesel, but would question a newer one from the financial aspects as they get only marginally better mileage with a much higher initial cost. The older Diesels got far better fuel mileage and were less of an upgrade cost over the gassers.

I do have a friend who bought a 96 CTD, sold it only to buy a 99 CTD a year later.

I think a lot of it also has to do with whether you plan to travel internationally with the truck and how long you plan to keep it. If you are going to get rid of the vehicle with 100 or 150k on it, then the Diesel may not be a good choice.

I have a 97 F 350 crew cab with 7.3 stroker. The best I ever got was a trip 3 years ago to the UP of Michigan at 28.8 MPG. I had a adventure 810 WS camper on it and it went down to 12 MPG. Now with the 800 lbs Grandby on the last trip I got 19.3 MPG. I think we pay a few pennies more for diesel, but its far better than a gasser in the long run. rsz_1p5230011.jpg

Attachments

• phpmNY0kSAM.jpg
    phpmNY0kSAM.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 138
My previous two trucks were CTD's, an 01 and 05. I went back to a gasser. F150 cause the weight is much less for off roading and I don't have to worry about EGT's. Is it too hot? Has it cooled down enough to shut off? Carrying extra fuel filters. Water in the fuel will destroy a diesel and not covered by warranty.

Love my F150 gasser. Life is simpler!!!!
biggrin.gif

wow, you were really worried about EGT and water!
you had problems related to these issues?

is that northstar pretty heavy for a 1/2 ton truck?

I thought an F250 7.3 would be overkill but I love it. I got my 99 with 110k and now at 145. I love that I never strain it even on the toughest hills. I'm getting 15 @ 70 mph. I also have an F150 gasser but no way do I want to put the loaded Grandby on it, did that and it was ok at best. I change the filters etc and no issues, hums along great.

Get rid of it? Not now that its paid for. Was it worth the premium? I'd rather not run the numbers :)

Compared to my last gasser its night and day. Much better mileage, much better power, much more reliable. Never worried about egt's (I do have guages) or water. Only replace one fuel filter so far and it wasn't even dirty. Heck, I've only drained the water from the fuel once. Stopped doing that because I never found any.

wow, you were really worried about EGT and water!
you had problems related to these issues?

is that northstar pretty heavy for a 1/2 ton truck?

No, I had no issues personally. But I read more than once on diesel forums where bad fuel damaged an engine and of course, warranty does not apply to that.

I did not mention my biggest concern but it does not have to do strictly with diesels. I bought my last one new in 05. The Dealer talked me into to an Edge programmer saying he would still cover all warranties. Well, a couple years later he has a memory lapse in ever saying that. :eek: So that weighed pretty heavy on my mind too!!!

Anyway, back to the simpler life of a gasser for me!!! The money I saved from not buying a HD diesel truck will fuel mine for years to come!!!! No, I'm not the first one to the top of the mountain on Friday night but I don't have to be. I'm retired and usually start my camping trips Sunday afternoons. That way I can wave at all the working stiffs heading back into town!!! :LOL:

Yes, the Northstar is a tad heavy for my truck. 1600# is about 300# over my cargo capacity. I know I have not increased the actual axle ratings but I have added E tires & wheels, a rear leaf spring and air bags. It handles fine and I am just keeping my fingers crossed until I can get that NEW HAWK!!!! :cool:

Simple life? Hmmm, lets see. Diesel=change the oil Gasser=change the oil, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil.

But you may be right on the economics if you aren't going to tow or haul anything heavy.

I'd love to have a diesel. Thing is...I think I'm allegic to that stuff. You fire up your diesel, I instantly get a ragin' headache.

I'll pass you in my gasser even if I have to red line it to do it. Following a smoke bellowing diesel on a grade can ruin a good day here for a few hours.

Now ya know one of the reasons I was the front truck a few times on the CO Rally. Sure wasn't cus I knew WTF I was goin'..... LOL.

mtn

Found a reason to not have a Diesel...

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/uploads/1277045430/gallery_207_234_392346.jpg

I think the only folks who question the benefit of a diesel are those who dont own one.<snip>

"I think the only folks that don't question the benefits of a diesel own one." -- Does anybody else see that this type of assertion begs the question?

In other words, if I question the benefit, why own, and if I don't question the benefit, why not own?

Now that diesels will require the same exhaust scrubbing as spark ignition engines, I think the hidden environmental-economic costs will be placed where they rightfully belong, from a statutory perspective.

Simple life? Hmmm, lets see. Diesel=change the oil Gasser=change the oil, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil.

But you may be right on the economics if you aren't going to tow or haul anything heavy.

Don't forget your fuel filter.

I'd love to have a diesel. Thing is...I think I'm allegic to that stuff. You fire up your diesel, I instantly get a ragin' headache.

I'll pass you in my gasser even if I have to red line it to do it. Following a smoke bellowing diesel on a grade can ruin a good day here for a few hours.

Now ya know one of the reasons I was the front truck a few times on the CO Rally. Sure wasn't cus I knew WTF I was goin'..... LOL.

mtn

Give me at least one chance to pull over in a safe location to allow you to pass, and/or pass when it is safe. I'm considerate of drivers behind me, and prefer to have those whom want to drive faster than I to be in front of me. Once in front of me, don't slow down to a speed slower than I was going when you passed me (provided road conditions allow you to continue to drive that fast).

Found a reason to not have a Diesel...

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/uploads/1277045430/gallery_207_234_392346.jpg

That seems more of a reason to not own a FWC (or ATC) on a fullsize 4X4 truck. My Hawk on my Dodge, 4X4, gasser is over the limit for that bridge. Maybe without the extra weight of the 4X4 I could make it. Maybe.

One disadvantage to a diesel is that there are fewer fueling locations. All gas stations supply gasoline, many don't supply diesel. One reason I bought a 52 gallon fuel tank is that I couldn't find diesel at convenient locations.

That seems more of a reason to not own a FWC (or ATC) on a fullsize 4X4 truck. My Hawk on my Dodge, 4X4, gasser is over the limit for that bridge. Maybe without the extra weight of the 4X4 I could make it. Maybe.

Yes, except that I can buy a small 4X4 gasser that will carry me safely across that bridge with a FWC/ATC. Until (if) Mahindra arrives in the USA, you simply don't have the option with a diesel. Likewise, only a Mahindra would be useful at this camping spot:

Attachments

• Dexter_small.jpg
    Dexter_small.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 179
Give me at least one chance to pull over in a safe location to allow you to pass, and/or pass when it is safe. I'm considerate of drivers behind me, and prefer to have those whom want to drive faster than I to be in front of me. Once in front of me, don't slow down to a speed slower than I was going when you passed me (provided road conditions allow you to continue to drive that fast)

I wouldn't think of passing where it isn't safe, Edo. I live in Colorado and deal with "tourons" daily on a winding 2 lane highway who obviously think the State of Colorado paints double lines on the road merely to waste paint.

And no worries. Once I get around yer cloud belchin diesel you won't see me again...unless that is, yer one of those visitors who feel they need to drive 90 everywhere they go in this State.

On vacation and (still) in a hurry. Amazing.

travel safe all

mtn

You missed the fuel filter and keeping an extra in the truck just in case!!! And praying that you don't get a junk load of bad fuel that will destroy that $18,000 dollar engine with NO warranty!!! ;)

Nope, the heaviest I tow will be my doubles of travel trailer and boat at 8000#.

IM001958.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D

Love my F150 gasser. Life is simpler!!!! :D

That is exactly why I did not jump to a Diesel when I bought my 1500 Ram 2009 5.7 Hemi gas. Simple--easier and considerably less dollars when purchased. Diesels do have their advantages but I think my Hemi will carry my camper and pull my 19 foot River Hawk (2450 pounds) together . After I buy my first pop up camper (maybe tomorrow), come fishing at East Lake (Central Oregon) and test it out.:D

Back
Top Bottom