anyone out there had a diesel and off'ed it?

i have not been able to price that....i bet its really expensive

The kit with the new air box etc is about $225?? Replacement filters can be had for $70 but really don't need much changing.

Gasoline's Lower Heating Value is 109,000-119,000 BTU/gal.
Diesel's Lower Heating Value is 126,000-131,000 BTU/gal.
Stoichiometric Ratio for both gasoline & diesel is 14.7:1
(Alternative Fuels Guidebook; Bechtold, SAE, 1997; 0-7680-0052-1, pg. 60)

I bought my Dodge CTD in 1991 with a 5 speed Getrag manual trans. and 3.54 rear end. Empty it gets around 21 mpg (11 litres per 100km in Canada) and pulling a 8400# 5th wheel trailer (I haven't got the camper yet) on a mountain highway it gets around 16 or 17 mpg at 60 to 70 mph. If I don't get a run at the big hills then it's 3rd gear and about 45 to 48 mph.

New, the truck cost $4500CDN (list price) more than the gas V8. At that time in Canada diesel was a lot cheaper than gas. With the better fuel economy I estimated it would take 2 to 4 years of driving to make up the extra initial cost outlay for the diesel. My truck has 189k kms or about 120k miles so I guess I only recently paid for the extra $4500. lol.

My 91 Dodge is rated at 160hp and 400lb-ft of torque. Today's diesels are larger and offer over 300hp and 600lb-ft minimum. You do not get over 300hp in most engines without burning lots of fuel and in Canada today diesel is only a few cents cheaper than gas so there is now no diesel economy savings anymore for pick up trucks.

Given the efficiency improvements in gas engines today, if I were buying new, it would be a big block gas engine.

ntsqd:

ok, i give on the conversions.

DanoT:

i generally agree with your logic. how confident would you be of getting to 125K miles with a big block gas engine? wouldnt it be a bit tired?
my experience is that the diesels hold up for a lot longer.

No question that diesels have the edge over gas engines for longevity, but gas engines are cheaper to rebuild. Reality is that most people will sell their truck and get something new long before the engine wears out.

No question that diesels have the edge over gas engines for longevity, but gas engines are cheaper to rebuild. Reality is that most people will sell their truck and get something new long before the engine wears out.

Glad I'm not one of those people.

how confident would you be of getting to 125K miles with a big block gas engine? wouldnt it be a bit tired?

I love my diesel, but the Tundra just turned over 200,000 miles....and (knock on wood) it's still running like a peach. I've run all synthetic fluids in it since around 5K miles.

I wanted a Four Wheel Keystone, had real trouble finding a eight foot bed pickup. The only thing I could find was a 2002 Ford 350, 4x4 with a 7.3 and automatic. Really didn't want a diesel, the front end is real heavy, there is a lag before the engine rev's, they are hard starting in cold weather, they stink and after driving them for almost 40 years I'm sick of listening to them. Tell ya what though once it torques over, it has low end like you wouldn't believe, pulls like an oxen and that turbo wines and pumps air at 10,000 ft like it's at sea level. Wish I had a manual trans. though.

I think it's kind of a "man thing" very macho, loud, smells and sounds very mean. I think a gas rig would be much more responsive when hopping boulders. Would I by another .......... don't know if I would or not, probably not.

Back
Top Bottom