Anyone put a Fleet on a Tacoma SR with the smaller motor

mikeinbeatty

I'm sure the Tacoma with larger motor is always mo betta, but how does a Fleet Shell do on a SR Tacoma?
Thanks-

My fleet lives on my 4cyl tacoma 2009 access cab. When fully loaded she was a bit dogged but I had full kitchen in mine with water tanks. When it was a shell it was actaully pretty okay, for a 4cyl.

One of the testimonials on the FWC site was by noted photographer Jack Dykinga. If I remember correctly, he was a fan of the 4 cylinder, manual transmission under his campers. If I find a link, I’ll post it.

Like this? 2.4 liter, manual, 2wd. I was just trying it on for a few days. Camper weighed 960 lbs at the scrap yard scale. I took everything out down to the paneling, left the bed overhead and now weighs 718lbs. I’m going to try it on a trip after I air bag the rear and install new shocks up front. How bad could it be? Haha.

IMG_4739.jpeg

It will get you where you are going for sure. Especially a shell. My fully loaded Ranger II is mounted full time on my 1986 22RTE 4x4. It does fine.

Attachments

• Web Toyota.jpg
    Web Toyota.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 78
My 2011 Eagle was on my 2001 4 cylinder Tacoma for 5 years. Yes we had to flap our arms out the window going up hill but overall it did okay.

buckland said:
My 2011 Eagle was on my 2001 4 cylinder Tacoma for 5 years. Yes we had to flap our arms out the window going up hill but overall it did okay.
Living The Dream said:
Flap arms going up the hill :) Yup, I know the feeling.
I’m surprised you didn’t try the Fred Flintstone mod... I’ve been tempted to do that with my Ranger, and it has the “big” motor.

I have taken my fleet shell (additional wt of an ARB fridge, roll over couch, awning, heater) all over very rough rocky terrain in Death Valley (Lippincott, Mengel Pass) with no issues. The only problems come during acceleration up long highway grades. I'm driving a 2007 4 cylinder Tacoma regular cab with BFG KO2s. The turning radius is awesome!

I had my Eagle on a 2001 Dakota (with the V8). If you aren't in a hurry and don't mind going really slow up hills, I'm sure you'll be fine BUT if you want to pass someone, you need plan ahead about 10 min. to get up to speed (at least we did) :)

The 4cyl taco is fine as long as you don't want to blaze up hills. I'm slimming down an old Granby to build basically a big shell for my 4cyl manual trans taco. No worries as long as you stick to the weight limits and don't overload the suspension.

I used to have a first gen 5 lug 4cyl taco that was a beast. The suspension was the limit there... Plenty of power for loads of concrete or whatever, just had to keep it off the bump stops!

Back
Top Bottom