Anyone tow a trailer?

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit
I was thinking about a small utility trailer once I get set up to take extra water, dirt bike, etc. In my Jeep club a couple guys tow those old Army trailers with the pintle hitches that allow severe articulation. They are very rugged and have great ground clearance. They are also spendy when you find one. :(

A lot of guys on the expeditionportal.com forum use the adventure trailers... very nice units and great guys from the couple of times I have met them and everything I've heard on expo.

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/

I've never seen one w/ a dirt bike on it, but I'm sure they could figure out something for you.

Kyle

Yes, I just happen to tow and build camping trailers. The factors I would consider are; type of terrain regularly tow in, how much gear needed to haul, camping style and appearance. From this it easy to determine a suitable trailer solution. Adventure Trailers are very nice unit if you see a lot of hard core terrain, but overkill for a lot of people. Jumping Jack trailers are one designed for hauling ATVs that might work.

My focus is DIY, camping trailers for paved / mild off-pavement usage. Attached is an off-road one (overcamp tent and cooler on front) I've done. It wouldn't be must work to add a rack and rebalance the axle location to handle a dirt bike on the front of a trailer like this. You could also do a more traditional utility type trailer (pic w/ bikes on front). Or even a modified version of our Explorer Box trailer.

Feel free to contact me directly if you'd like.

Attachments

• dplate trailer closed.jpg
    dplate trailer closed.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 686
  • ready to go.jpg
    ready to go.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 693
  • setup-mombasa-table-sm.jpg
    setup-mombasa-table-sm.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 685
here are a few shots of customers with a camper and towing a trailer too ...

Attachments

• trailer with tundra & kestrel.JPG
    trailer with tundra & kestrel.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 675
  • 36636413.jpg
    36636413.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 675
  • trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 686
  • Quad.jpg
    Quad.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 683
  • surf boards in baja #1.jpg
    surf boards in baja #1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 658
more trailers!

First trailer is our closed in trailer picture is near coco's corners in baja (we use this one if we want to keep everything out of sight)also when we go on long trips such as summer when we spend a couple of months in Idaho,kayak rides on top. 2nd trailer is for desert trips and rough trails,home made,tail gate works as loading ramp for dual sport,also have rack which mounts tandem Hobie kayak,(i'll post picture of kayak in a couple of weeks as we are getting ready to spend a couple of weeks along the river (near Blythe)the tongue is adjustable as kayak over hangs trailer I built trailer with 4 leaf springs 15"wheels so have plenty of clearance for off road,and same wheel base width as toyo so it tracks great off road.
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les Lqhikers

Attachments

• DSCF0370 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF0370 (Medium).jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 662
  • DSCF0507 (Small) (Medium).jpg
    DSCF0507 (Small) (Medium).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 678
It's a knd of trailer

My in-laws tow a Desert Fox Camper that they are living their dream retirement in. Sorry if the pics are small.

And since I know they will see this post, Hey guys join in.:D

Attachments

• trailer1.jpg
    trailer1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 655
  • trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 646
Yes, I just happen to tow and build camping trailers. The factors I would consider are; type of terrain regularly tow in, how much gear needed to haul, camping style and appearance. From this it easy to determine a suitable trailer solution. Adventure Trailers are very nice unit if you see a lot of hard core terrain, but overkill for a lot of people. Jumping Jack trailers are one designed for hauling ATVs that might work.

My focus is DIY, camping trailers for paved / mild off-pavement usage. Attached is an off-road one (overcamp tent and cooler on front) I've done. It wouldn't be must work to add a rack and rebalance the axle location to handle a dirt bike on the front of a trailer like this. You could also do a more traditional utility type trailer (pic w/ bikes on front). Or even a modified version of our Explorer Box trailer.

Feel free to contact me directly if you'd like.

I really like the first one you have pictured. I don't want a tent trailer though just utilities. I will be sleeping in my canopy until I can afford a pop up.

I had a local fabricator do the aluminum welding on it. It was out of .120 aluminum brite plate. The width and height dimensions were very close to a M416 trailer and the length was 5'. Can't find them right now, but I know I have more pictures of it some where.

I tow a flat bed trailer for my Yamaha Rhino and when I set up camp I back up to the trailer sideways and put down a piece of artifical turf and it makes a nice porch. Sorry No picture.

I tow a flat bed trailer for my Yamaha Rhino and when I set up camp I back up to the trailer sideways and put down a piece of artifical turf and it makes a nice porch. Sorry No picture.

What kind of truck do you have? I also have a rhino and I'm planning on towing it along with my camper. I have a 04 Chev 1500. It tows the Rhino great I'm just a little unsure how it will do with the Hawk on it.(I'm waiting for the Hawk to come on order)

I have an 03 GMC 2500 HD Diesel. I had the truck before I had the camper and towed a 26 Ft fifth wheel and the flatbed trailer behind that.
The combo of the Hawk and trailer is nice and less stressful driving but I still take the fifth wheel sometimes if I will be staying some place for a week for more of the comfort factor.

For Sharing Gods Love

I like to work on projects for people who can't pay me back. That's how I share the feeling of what God has done for me. About a year and a half ago I was loading tools into the back of my truck to go do one of those projects, and I thought to myself, "Lord, someday when I'm rich enough I want to have a trailer that I can keep all my tools in."

As this past New Year's Eve approached, I remembered that 'prayer' and realized I wasn't likely to ever be rich enough, so I took the money I had been saving up for some toy or other and bought myself a 5x10 utility trailer.

I arranged all my 'stationary' woodworking equipment around the perimeter of the trailer-- Table saw in the back, chop saw in the middle, bandsaw and drill press in the front corners, and so on, and kept moving them around until I could use them all without having to move any of the rest of them around. Then I built the sides and roof so that I could back the whole mess into a standard garage.

I stuck the rest of the stuff I use for construction projects wherever it seemed to make the most sense. Here is the result:

Hawk_trailer.jpg

It's down to where I can pull up to a job and if I know where the electricity is, be at work in less than five minutes, because I don't have to unpack anything to get started. Here are some side views of the trailer at a job we did for a family this weekend...

Driver_side02.jpg

Paessenger_side.jpg

Front.jpg

As you can see, the trailer even has compressed air and dust collection.

So now, Edna, Robert and I are totally prepared to answer the call whenever and wherever the need arises. We can reach out in love anywhere in the country The Spirit calls us from our home base here in Houston and be there in three days or less.

Maybe we can work together with you real soon.

Mark,
Your trailer is better organized than my garage, and you make better use of it than I do of my garage. God bless you.

Thanks for the kind words, all of you.

To show kindness toward strangers, like the kindness y'all show me, is to live in the good graces of our Maker, don't you agree?

Back
Top Bottom