Anyone using the new F150 2.7L with a camper?

CALIcamperdad said:
I'm curious about it. We just bought our first new Ford in over a decade Ford Fusion Energi for the wife its an impressive machine. A neighbor just bought the new F150 2.7L and he has been pretty impressed with it he replaced a mid 90's F150 with the new one. Curious if anyone is running a FWC or other pop up type camper on the new F150 with the 2.7L and what sort of mileage they are seeing.

Neighbor has a standard bed cap on his and so far is seeing 20mpg around town averages and the trips north to his cabin he's seen as high as 26mpg trip average but his typical trip so far has been in the 24-25mpg range. That type of real world mileage is starting to peak my interest some. That and the last long trip we did the wife was not happy about the lacking lumbar support on the passenger side of our Toyota Sequoia.
Hard to know how accurate user reported numbers may be. Too many variables, not to mention most reports are from the notoriously inaccurate computer readout. Few vehicles match their EPA ratings which for an unloaded 2015 F-150 4x4 Crew Cab with the 3.5L Ecoboost is 17/19/23. Fuelly reports a 16.5 mpg average for 31 2015 F-150s with the 3.5L although options are unknown. Consumer Reports averaged 16 mpg.

A truck camper is bound to affect fuel economy, probably by at least 3 mpg. Turbo gas engines are all about fuel economy in normal driving with ample power for occasional needs. They work well for that. I have had two small displacement turbo gas cars and loved the performance combined with economy. However, conventional wisdom is that they are not meant for continuous heavy loads no matter the vehicle's max payload. Turbos gulp fuel and generate heat. Get a diesel or big block gas engine for heavy duty use. Has Ford made some magic to create a small turbo gas engine that can endure continuous loads and still return good mpg? By all tests I have seen the answer is no. Most Ford forum users report no better than 14 mpg with the Ecoboost when towing or with a truck camper, often more like 11 mpg. That might be slightly better with a small pop-up like the Hawk.

Note that Ford recommends the HD payload option for a slide-in camper, and they do not recommend a slide-in camper on any Crew Cab F-150.

I have been trying to find a way to get a 1/2 ton Ford with the aluminum bed for a camper but after talking to a few guys who have been truck owners for years I have come to the realization I need to bite the bullet and go 3/4 and possibly 1 ton. My understanding of the fuel economy is it really doesn't change much with the larger trucks as they don't have to work as hard to manage the weight so you don't lose that much in fuel economy and the axle, springs and brakes are much more suited to what we do. There are some light campers out there but even with those, when you get lots of options and carry water, propane, people stuff etc you have way more than that "dry camper" number you started with.....
A FWC/ATC is probably the only camper I would consider if I went 1/2 ton...... and then I would be very cautious about all those extra goodies....
Last thing I want is a failure at the wrong time because I'm pushing the limits of my vehicle. Especially far from help!
Now if I can sort out gas/diesel that would be good....lol

Back
Top Bottom